Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating fonts from jpg

Options
  • 12-01-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've a jpg with all the characters i need to create a font but i'm a bit confused as to how i go about creating the font from this image? Had a look online but thats confused me more. Anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Unless you want to trace all the shapes into a font editor like Fontographer it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

import them into illustrator and do a live trace. Then seperate the white from the black. Place them all on a new layer.

Take each charactor and put them into a font editing tool, which usually has a grid with allocated space for each letter.

Its pretty straight forward.

the whole process should take about 10 minz if you copy an already created font table and just rename the font and replace each letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Illustrator Live Trace is not that accurate - especially when it comes to corners and curves. You'll get the basic shape of the font, but there'd be a lot of tweaking.

You'd be better off tracing each letter form with the Pen Tool. And as suggested use Typographer or similar to load the characters in.

This will take you a lot longer than 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Illustrator Live Trace is not that accurate - especially when it comes to corners and curves. You'll get the basic shape of the font, but there'd be a lot of tweaking.

You'd be better off tracing each letter form with the Pen Tool. And as suggested use Typographer or similar to load the characters in.

This will take you a lot longer than 10 minutes.

Bang on. The difference in quality of the finished product is huge. Plus, once you get into it you become quite adept at the pen tool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Or just, you know, buy the font.

• Advertisement
Advertisement