Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park - Mountjoy Cross roundabout

Options
  • 12-01-2010 8:25pm

Anybody been through this roundabout since they did it up? Who agreed to allow the installation of four street lights with wind turbines and solar panals on them? They take away from the look of the park. Totally out of character with the gas lamps that are there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I agree, I cant believe they closed the road for so long and thats all they managed to do. Anyway, I pass through the park quite often and it is one of my favorite parts of Dublin, love the lamps along with the landscape and the history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lol, I'm a dumbass!.

I pass through the park a few times per day, I also jog in it and have never noticed the change!.

I'll look tomorrow, I'll bring my camera with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I think that will be the least of the OPWs worries at the moment, Chesterfield Avenue is in the worse condition I have ever seen it due to the recent weather, it really is destroyed and a patch up job I don't think will be sufficient to correct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Just came through the park. Its more like a slalom course then a road. The boys from OPW are filling in the holes which won't last the same way the repairs at the Phoenix roundabout each year have never worked.

Considering Chesterfield was only resurfaced a couple of years ago I wonder that it has fallen apart this badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

foreign wrote: »
    Anybody been through this roundabout since they did it up? Who agreed to allow the installation of four street lights with wind turbines and solar panals on them? They take away from the look of the park. Totally out of character with the gas lamps that are there.

Ahh I was running there last night in the dark and I was wondering what the noise was - must have been the turbines!

I would imagine that they needed brighter lighting around the roundabout than can be provided by the older gas lamps on the avenue. They may have chosen to use solar/wind power to keep the new lights running to avoid having to run power lines underground up to the roundabout.

I must have a look at it during the daytime. The old gas lamps are great looking alright, but the light from them is poor.

• Advertisement

DBCyc wrote: »
    Ahh I was running there last night in the dark and I was wondering what the noise was - must have been the turbines!

I would imagine that they needed brighter lighting around the roundabout than can be provided by the older gas lamps on the avenue. They may have chosen to use solar/wind power to keep the new lights running to avoid having to run power lines underground up to the roundabout.

I must have a look at it during the daytime. The old gas lamps are great looking alright, but the light from them is poor.

You are probably more aware than myself then, did the lighting really need to be improved at this junction? Was it dangerous? I've only had to drive through at night.

foreign wrote: »
    You are probably more aware than myself then, did the lighting really need to be improved at this junction? Was it dangerous? I've only had to drive through at night.

AFAIK the old roundabout was a temporary junction. The new permanent roundabout would have been subject to design requirements such as minimum lighting standards for safety. I'm not sure who assesses & grants permission for works that the OPW carry out in the park, maybe the city council does and wanted the junction lit properly given the amount of traffic there. I'm just speculating really.

Passed through it twice today, but it was dark both times so didn't get a decent photo.

I can only state my own opinion, they don't bother me at all & like I said earlier I haven't noticed them at all until this thread.

Sorry I was late with getting a photo.

I took this one this morning (mobile phone pic).

attachment.php?attachmentid=102875&stc=1&d=1263725734

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Waste of money IMO, no need for around about there in the first place, a yellow junction box would have been grand. They also wasted a fortune down near the Gardai depot, the new road lay out is Sh!t and the place looks like mess, should have left it they way it was.

• Advertisement

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Waste of money IMO, no need for around about there in the first place, a yellow junction box would have been grand.

The problem there was trying to cross at the junction could be hit & miss sometimes, a round-a-bout works but I think this one is badly designed with those high kerb stones.

Maybe it was designed by the same idiot who made THIS...
    They also wasted a fortune down near the Gardai depot, the new road lay out is Sh!t and the place looks like mess, should have left it they way it was.

Horrible, horrible mess.

Saw them in the park yesterday, can't see what the problem with them is to be honest, they're actually kind of cool and not that noticeable. I wouldn't have noticed them anyway if I hadn't seen them mentioned on this thread.

And a yellow box instead of the roundabout would have been completely unworkable and done nothing at all to alleviate the problems at that junction, all a yellow box would have done was give traffic on Chesterfield Avenue priority over traffic coming from either of the other directions and would have made it worse for pedestrians around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

They have been there since well before Christmas. I'm sure I saw them as far back as October (but could be wrong there). :)

Jip it worked years ago when there was no around there. This was also a great corner for the car racing in the park, too many gobsh1ts running this country at the moment.

Horrible, horrible mess.

Out of interest, what is the problem with what they have done? All that I can see wrong with it is that they should tidy up and maybe do some replanting in the green area in the middle. Also some drivers seem to be confused about who should yield at the junctions despite the clear signage.
    Jip it worked years ago when there was no around there. This was also a great corner for the car racing in the park, too many gobsh1ts running this country at the moment.

I seem to remember massive queues back from the old give way junction there on the Ordnance Road before the roundabout was put in. But then again, this was before the restricted entry/exit on the gates on the Chapelizod side of the park. Still though I reckon its definitely a better solution for traffic flow as all arms get a chance to get through the junction as Jip has stated above.

If I was the OPW, I wouldn't be that bothered about the car races, sure they are only once a year.

Your a great man DBCyc, you should apply for a job in there planning department, sounds like you would fit right in.

DBCyc wrote: »
    Also some drivers seem to be confused about who should yield at the junctions despite the clear signage.

There ya go, its confusing and disjointed for a lot of people.

I'm not a civil engineer so I can only guess that the works were done to help solve traffic conjestion problems in the area during the summer months.

Your a great man DBCyc, you should apply for a job in there planning department, sounds like you would fit right in.

:D The first thing I would do is ban all cars driving through the park! That would solve all these problems!
    There ya go, its confusing and disjointed for a lot of people.

I'm not a civil engineer so I can only guess that the works were done to help solve traffic conjestion problems in the area during the summer months.

Fair enough. I live quite near it so I'm used to it but I can see a lot of people get confused with the new layout.

Jip it worked years ago when there was no around there.

As DBCYc says, it depends on your definition of what works, if you were on Chesterfield Avenue it obviously worked better for you, but if you were to come from the survey or Ashtown directions it was a right pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tatrman

but the roundabout layout is a big fail. Did some child draw it or was the name of the road engineer "Satan" by any chance?
    Recently the moved kerbs funny 20cm away. :eek: what big improvement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement