Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know the value of champers-wine

Options
  • 12-01-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone can help me to put a value on some champagne and wine. I am particulary interested to know if the wine would be drinkable, I dont drink wine but would like to know wheather it is worth keeping.

Stazione Di Posta year 1999
    Vino Rosso di Montalcino 1994

Laurent Perrier Brut 1990 1.5lt

Thanks in advance :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone can help me to put a value on some champagne and wine. I am particulary interested to know if the wine would be drinkable, I dont drink wine but would like to know wheather it is worth keeping.

Don't know about the first.
    I'd hazard a guess that the second one is well past its best.
    I reckon the vintage champers would be fine.

Best way of finding out, though, is to taste them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 desk1

Laurent Perrier could be fantastic depending on how it has been stored. I drank Jacquart 1992 last month and It was gorgeous (different style to regular non vintage champage- more complex and not as fresh) Don't know about the first wine but the Rosso di Montalcino may be a bit old. If it was a Brunello di Montalcino (depending on producer also) you would have yourself a cracking wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

Hi Guys

1990 was a fantastic year in Champagne, theLaurent Perrier Brut 1990 is at height of maturity, and should definately be opened, although you would get till christmas or an earlier celebration. This wine would also keep
    Vino Rosso di Montalcino 1994, again a great year. a wine that can be drank up now, as its at maturity but will reamin there for a few years yet.
    The Stazione DI posta, i don't know much about, but i think its a tuscan red, which had a great year, can be drank but if like most 1999 tuscans, i'd hold

These assumptions are based on these wines been cellered well and i hope they are helpful. Vintage charts are available on ipod, online but also books. I reccomend Oz Clarke's Pocket diary. Easy to read and vintage charts are understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 desk1

A note on the Rosso, it is aged in oak for a lot less than the Brunello and does not last as long. It is made to be more approachable in youth than Brunello with less tannin etc so it does not tend to last as long. 16 years would be fine for Brunello from a great producer but not for rosso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

desk1 wrote: »
    A note on the Rosso, it is aged in oak for a lot less than the Brunello and does not last as long. It is made to be more approachable in youth than Brunello with less tannin etc so it does not tend to last as long. 16 years would be fine for Brunello from a great producer but not for rosso
    Glazed over the montalcino, apologies, rosso tends to age for 5-8 years.. for this wine, open it and sniff, taste if you'd like, it could have started its natural process of turning to vinegar or be very meaty, either way i wouldn't pour it all down the sink. It could be used in cooking, but its up to you after you open it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement