Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windscreen Washer Not Working

• 12-01-2010 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Hope someone can help me. I drive a citreon c3, but my problem at the moment is that the windscreen washers are not working front and back. It is fully topped up with fluid, but the pump is making no noise when you press on the wiper stalk to operate it. Would the motor pump be finished or would I need a new fuse. Dont no where to start looking or what Im looking for Im no good under a bonnet. Any one with any help or advice for me please replp asap. As in the current weather i really miss having the washers as with the roads in such a state all the spray clogs on the windscreen and its making driving very difficult with my field of vision.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

could be something as simple as the washer bottle being frozen!!!!
    happened me last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If you are living in an area with snow/ice it's likely that water in the system is frozen. If you are just putting pure water in this is very likely the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A garage air hose might unblock any particles etc that are blocking it. Worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Thanks for the replys guys, I checked water in the holder its not frozen, the motor isnt making any noise when i press the wiper stalk the back wiper washer is not working either, would the fuse be gone or is it the washer motor problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

well, check the fuse first obviously. only cost 50c for a new one. fuse box is in the glovebox on citroens i think?? check the handbook

• Advertisement

charlie how do i find out which fuse supports the windscreen washer? i am clueless with this kind of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

There is generally a sticker or imprint in the fuse cover indicating what each fuse does.

Can be tricky to figure out but just follow the ratings eg 1A 10A etc. and the spots that do and don't have fuses to find the one you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

What they said, and when you think you've located it, hold it up to the light and see if the fuse has indeed blown - when you know what to look for, it's pretty obvious:

http://images.google.com/images?client=opera&rls=en&q=blown%20car%20fuse&sourceid=opera&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭arbour

SPARTAN33 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Hope someone can help me. I drive a citreon c3, but my problem at the moment is that the windscreen washers are not working front and back. It is fully topped up with fluid, but the pump is making no noise when you press on the wiper stalk to operate it. Would the motor pump be finished or would I need a new fuse. Dont no where to start looking or what Im looking for Im no good under a bonnet. Any one with any help or advice for me please replp asap. As in the current weather i really miss having the washers as with the roads in such a state all the spray clogs on the windscreen and its making driving very difficult with my field of vision.

Thanks in Advance

HiI also drive a c3 and have this problem since the recent snow and ice,my sister drives a c2 and her car is the same. Do citroens not like cold weather:)...im going to check fuses in the morning...dont want to bring it to garage if its something simple.

arbour wrote: »
    HiI also drive a c3 and have this problem since the recent snow and ice,my sister drives a c2 and her car is the same. Do citroens not like cold weather:)...im going to check fuses in the morning...dont want to bring it to garage if its something simple.

Are you mixing screenwash through it or just using straight water? This time of the year it's only asking for trouble if you are using water or water with washing up liquid etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I was wondering why my washers werent working after a couple days of moderate weather, turned out the washers themselves were just blocked, found out after sticking a pin in the holes and giving them a good prod.

Give it a go :)

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Are you mixing screenwash through it or just using straight water? This time of the year it's only asking for trouble if you are using water or water with washing up liquid etc..

i use screenwash. dont think its blocked as i cant even hear the motor

arbour wrote: »
    i use screenwash. dont think its broke as i cant even hear the motor

Probably just the fuse blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

i wud say fuse is ur prob also,there shud be a list of fuses and an eplaination of what the do in ur car manual if not just work ur way through them 1 by 1 untill u find one blown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

My c4 was exactly the same.It was a 10 amp mini blade fuse that did the trick

thanks all. A red 10a fuse in the bonnet was the problem. Back in action now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I have a similar problem and was going to post but might as well just add in here.

My sprayers have not been working for ages - good bit before the big freeze hit. The rear one works absolutely fine, but the front ones not so much. The passengers side ones does not work, drivers side one spurts out a tiny bit after 2-3 seconds of holding it on, only manages to spray water a few inches up the windscreen.

Car is a honda civic 2002. Not sure what to check really. Thought maybe it got clogged with dirt, but not sure how I would check it, or if I would be be able to take it apart and get it back together again!

Any suggestions of what I can do to fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have you tried any of the suggestions in the thread?

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys I have a similar problem and was going to post but might as well just add in here.

My sprayers have not been working for ages - good bit before the big freeze hit. The rear one works absolutely fine, but the front ones not so much. The passengers side ones does not work, drivers side one spurts out a tiny bit after 2-3 seconds of holding it on, only manages to spray water a few inches up the windscreen.

Car is a honda civic 2002. Not sure what to check really. Thought maybe it got clogged with dirt, but not sure how I would check it, or if I would be be able to take it apart and get it back together again!

Any suggestions of what I can do to fix it?

Thanks for all the replies guys, yes it was indeed a blown fuse, found the problem and got a new 10A fuse for 70cent problem sorted, deilghted i can now have a clean windscreen again. Amazing how something so small can cause such an inconveince. Once again thanks all.

Advertisement