Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a loser, help!

Options
  • 12-01-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭

First and foremost let's get this out of the way. I'm **** at Street Fighter 4 and I know it down to the fact I can't beat anyone and suffer loss after loss and can go 40 50 to a hundred matches online lost in a row and I've actually counted.

The problem is, I can't deal with losing well at all. I'm talking about consistent losing. I can't just accept it. I get this build up of sheer rage and I want to smash anything I can see and quite often do and I hate it because it stresses me out and only makes me worse and worse at what I'm doing. I think "**** it give the game a break" but the problem is I HATE doing that because I'm leaving after a thrashing and feel like I'm totally defeated which just enrages me even more to continue so I'm trapped in this endless circle of tearing my hair out, shouting at my screen, smashing my keyboard to pieces anger that I can't sort out.

I know how strange it might seem but really guys I actually think I'm in need of help or something cuz I know how bad it is but I don't know how to deal with it.

I've googled **** but all I get is crap about dealing with a loss of a loved one or stuff like that. There's nothing about dealing with rage or anger from losing in games apart from a **** wiki How-to thing which is not very deep at all.

Does anyone have the same issue and or does anyone know where I might find some kind of info on how to deal with it? It's getting to the stage where I have to quit playing a game entirely just to avoid the rages it causes if I lose because I can't take being beat so much. Don't get me wrong i don't mind losing if it's a good fight whatever it is but it's consistent decisive losses that send me over the edge into manic rage ye know.

I know what most people will say and that is "When I lose I just try to learn from it and move on and I don't let it bother me really cuz I know I'll get better" etc, etc. I'm well aware of that mentality and I strive to develop it but I've tried and tried yet I'm still overwhelmingly bothered by the losses that I can't position my train of thought in that way at all.

Anyway thoughts on how you guys deal with losing would be a start thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

There's an official players guide available but at the end of the day you just have to practise. I've been playing S.F. series for eighteen years and I'm still learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Stop playing online or at least only play player matches with people who you know you'll get a good connection with and will happily discuss the matches with you.

Basically, just play lots of matches with members of our community. The replays and lobby features that will be in Super will probably help a lot as it's winner stays on so you get a few minutes to calm down and maybe chat with people in the lobby while watching the winner to see if you can notice anything you can exploit for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Xluna wrote: »
    There's an official players guide available but at the end of the day you just have to practise. I've been playing S.F. series for eighteen years and I'm still learning.

It's not just street fighter but Street fighter has definitely been at the forefront of my gaming lately. I'm addicted to it yet it infuriates me constantly so I'm at a loss what to do there. I'd like to avoid quitting entirely just to save my sanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I used to get pissed off a lot when I played on pad when id lose cos of moves not coming out or the wrong move coming out. When I started playing with a stick I calmed down a lot cos I was loosing through a fault of my own. I can handle loosing if its my fault.
    I didnt have my stick for ages awhile back and went back to playing on the saturn pad. It made me even madder than before. I would try throw with chun and somehow end up with ex hasan shu. This cost me meter and the match a load of times and sent me wrong. Id throw the pad, stamp on it etc and sometimes id have to take the pad apart between matches to fix it. I dunno how the pads still work with the abuse I gave them. I was close to throwing the pad out the window one day. Its embarrassing :o

You just have to force yourself to stop playing when your getting pissed off cos the more you play the more pissed off you will get. Go into training mode or something for awhile or stop playing altogether. I read some funny stories about rage on srk. Some people said they do press ups when they get pissed off and one dude said he looks at a tree outside for a minute or something. Get a punching bag and beat the **** out of that :pac:

Im fine at the moment, I rarely get angry with the game anymore besides the odd bit of lag. I usually just throw the match if its laggy now, its not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah lag is one of the only things that makes me angry when I play, usually to do with teching throws and getting thrown anyway. Playing in person or against someone with a good connection I don't usually get mad - I think it's having played thousands of games to be honest. When you've played an awful lot, it gets a lot harder to get pissed off at yourself for a single match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

funnily enough, used to get angry at losses. But after reading that Sirlin article regarding scrubs, the knowledge that by letting a defeat make me mad (or blaming lag or "cheap tactics") is actually making me more of a scrub has completely stopped this.

Actually found it odd how relaxed I am playing now with this knowledge. Rather than each match coming down to a battle of skills and adrenaline fueled it feels more like a casual game of battle ship, just a lot faster paced obviously. Where each of us is trying to guess what move the opponent is going to make next.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Give into your anger, only your hatred can destroy me!

I can get mad sometime too but not too much, but that evil evil game Pro Evolution Soccer brought out the worst in me.

I take comfort in the fact that I play the only character in the game thats balanced, unlike those other 24 cheap feckers. I suppose Sagat isn't too bad but when people pick cheap characters like Gen, Sakura and of course the overpowered Vega (he has a claw for god sakes) I just pitty these skilless players that have to relie on such lame ass overpowered character just so they can win.

There is no honor in this game unless your spamming light scissor kicks.

And thats a fact. :pac:

Dictator has spoken.

Seriously its just a game, unless your spending an insane amount of time playing it there is always going to be better players and you will run into them from time to time. Keep practising and learn the match ups is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Most people hate losing and have a lot more fun when they're winning. Obviously you can have some great losses and some victories that aren't fun because you stomp someone so badly but generally this is how most people are wired.
    You seem to be saying that you lose more often than you win or least go on huge loss streaks. Maybe it's time to accept that this game isn't for you. The joy you get from winning is significantly less than the frustration you feel during a string of losses. Life's too short to be getting so pissed off doing something you're supposed to be enjoying.
    Ry wrote:
    It's getting to the stage where I have to quit playing a game entirely just to avoid the rages it causes if I lose because I can't take being beat so much. Don't get me wrong i don't mind losing if it's a good fight whatever it is but it's consistent decisive losses that send me over the edge into manic rage ye know

You seemed to have figured this out for yourself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

bush wrote: »
    I used to get pissed off a lot when I played on pad when id lose cos of moves not coming out or the wrong move coming out. When I started playing with a stick I calmed down a lot cos I was loosing through a fault of my own. I can handle loosing if its my fault.
    I didnt have my stick for ages awhile back and went back to playing on the saturn pad. It made me even madder than before. I would try throw with chun and somehow end up with ex hasan shu. This cost me meter and the match a load of times and sent me wrong. Id throw the pad, stamp on it etc and sometimes id have to take the pad apart between matches to fix it. I dunno how the pads still work with the abuse I gave them. I was close to throwing the pad out the window one day. Its embarrassing :o

You just have to force yourself to stop playing when your getting pissed off cos the more you play the more pissed off you will get. Go into training mode or something for awhile or stop playing altogether. I read some funny stories about rage on srk. Some people said they do press ups when they get pissed off and one dude said he looks at a tree outside for a minute or something. Get a punching bag and beat the **** out of that :pac:

Im fine at the moment, I rarely get angry with the game anymore besides the odd bit of lag. I usually just throw the match if its laggy now, its not worth it.

Very similar only usually I've just enough sense about me to stop myself damaging something I can't replace or that would cost me a fortune unlike the chap in that video but many things have been broken and I've definitely lost hair from my head a few times. I will quit playing if I can't come to some kind of solution but I love the game which is would make it so difficult to do. I doubt I'd have the will.

I don't get pissed off losing to people in person at the tourney's. I feel a bit disappointed if it's decisive but that's the extent of it and I'm a hundred times less bothered because I know everyone at the tourney's is good and this is how I reason with myself but online I can vividly see how bad people I'm fighting are and how bad their game is yet they still manage to grab a victory somehow even with their awful play and it sends me off on a mad one because I know it shouldn't have gone that way.

I think the way it seems to be if I think about it is: If I think I've a chance of winning and I fail, I can't accept my defeat properly, unless it was pretty balanced and I know I played well enough compared to what I believe to be my own standard or level of play. Otherwise I lose control and smash the nearest thing to me (quite often my keyboard. I've had to put it back together too many times.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Ry wrote: »
    It's not just street fighter but Street fighter has definitely been at the forefront of my gaming lately. I'm addicted to it yet it infuriates me constantly so I'm at a loss what to do there. I'd like to avoid quitting entirely just to save my sanity.

Stick with your best fighter to begin with.Use practise and start with repeating special moves,ten reps each. Then move onto basic combos.i.e. Ryu/Ken/Akuma three hit fireball combo.(Jump HP,Crouching HP into hadoken.) Practise with cross overs,counters and most importantly-timing. Don't just attack and throw special moves for the sake of it. Learn distance,timing and strategy. Then focus on your characters strengths and weakness' against each other character, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

How about a nice cuppa tea?
    mrsdoyle.jpg

Nah srsly though, you just gotta learn to live with it. I've got a winning percentage (online) of maybe 20%, and I haven't made Top 16 since first RanBat.
    But all you can do really is keep training, keep learning from your mistakes, and then someday - BAM! You'll double-Perfect Farz*

*not a guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

no cup of tea will let ry double perfect me.
    He has gotten better over time, i think execution problems = greatest frustration. Also championship mode has a huge thing to do with it, you probably end up fighting some flow chart ken that taunts you and wins by chance and you never get to play him and you feel rotten and feel like cutting your wrists and writing a few sonnets, so play PLAYER MATCHES. get that revenge

some day, you will stop being an angry loser. That day i will congratulate you but for now, i changed my sig so you can get all the support you need.

We are here for you RY, we always will. Its the internets !!!111 :D:D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ry I think it's just a tiny attitude adjustment you need to make.

You say you don't mind losing in person at the tournaments. I always have a fun day at them regardless myself and even if I do perform poorly (it's only in the last couple I've won more fights than I have lost) I'm enjoying the skill and the camaradarie of it all.

You get annoyed losing online, it seems. Here's the thing:

Online doesn't mean jack ****.

All it's good for is practice. Practice moves, tactics zoning, stuff like that. But ultimately there's a three frame minimum delay on everything you do and the guy you're fighting isn't going to turn around and help you. Just go meh, it doesn't matter.

I used to lose all the time online and hated it with a passion. Now I just use it for practice while I wait for a good player who I know to come along. I'm still only in G2 and I'm in no hurry to go much further. Sparring with ayjay and the regs here in online is what really upskills me.

Speaking of ayjay, maybe he'd be good for some advice, seeing as he is Ry to my farzad. He's put in alot of work now and I consider him one of these threats who have yet to make their mark.

Ugh, that's distrbing even saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I don't get pissed off losing to people in person at the tourney's.
    Maybe you can get a manikin or blow up doll and sit them beside you holding a controller when you play online?
    And if that doesn't work, at least with the latter you can have angry sex to calm yourself down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 homemadextc

theres something else you can do it requires close to no effort , become a super scrub lol embrace the scrubiness so to speak i mean i did it and now i win the majority of the time and heres how.

Pick akuma teleport like crazy and hado the opponent to their grave, you will obviously learn to take advantage of certain openings as you opponent becomes sloppy in their attempt to catch you and learn to ultra trap people ............akuma has the best wakeup game , combos ,ultra etc etc **** that akuma has got teleport and the best fireballs in the game stay way back and hado your heart out

There are other options ie the ken scrub, the sagat scrub or the cammy scrub but these all require timing and the ability to block cross ups etc. not with akuma teleport has a 0 frame start up so wakeup pressure is gone

Pick akuma teleport like crazy and hado the opponent to their grave

Don't forget, taunt #7 bait into redfireball... 60% of the time it works everytime

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Y'know, get two people together, cup of tea, get ready to punch eachother in the face - This'll be fun, surely?

I've started using a good gauge to see how seriously the other player is looking to play. If I'm in the mood to just mess around, trying out different stuff to see what works, I'll usually play the first match as Dan, if they decide to combo me out of the super taunt it lets me know that they are more in it to win by any means then just looking for some relaxed casuals.

Depending on what mood I'm in I'll either stay in the match or go back into Arcade mode and wait for another player invite.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I've started using a good gauge to see how seriously the other player is looking to play. If I'm in the mood to just mess around, trying out different stuff to see what works, I'll usually play the first match as Dan, if they decide to combo me out of the super taunt it lets me know that they are more in it to win by any means then just looking for some relaxed casuals.

Depending on what mood I'm in I'll either stay in the match or go back into Arcade mode and wait for another player invite.

In my case, just ask me. :) I hate when people pick Dan when I am in "training for a tournament" mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

theres something else you can do it requires close to no effort , become a super scrub lol embrace the scrubiness so to speak i mean i did it and now i win the majority of the time and heres how.

Pick akuma teleport like crazy and hado the opponent to their grave, you will obviously learn to take advantage of certain openings as you opponent becomes sloppy in their attempt to catch you and learn to ultra trap people ............akuma has the best wakeup game , combos ,ultra etc etc **** that akuma has got teleport and the best fireballs in the game stay way back and hado your heart out

There are other options ie the ken scrub, the sagat scrub or the cammy scrub but these all require timing and the ability to block cross ups etc. not with akuma teleport has a 0 frame start up so wakeup pressure is gone
    I'm... not sure sure if this would work against some of our players here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm... not sure sure if this would work against some of our players here...

I'd have to agree with Kiki on this one. You would be killed quicker than snow melting in the Sahara doing that. =p

I think you need to change character btw,
    this Ry Ryu connection you have in your head is not only disturbing but its just not working out for you. Besides everyone knows Ryu's moves inside out, i know what youre gonna do next before even you know it. :eek:

Also i take complete full fledge responsibility for making Ry feel this way. I assumed a fierce constant day after day beating would make him tough but instead it has resulted in him having a complete breakdown, im sorry pal. My bad. :(

Placebo wrote: »
    I think you need to change character btw,
    this Ry Ryu connection you have in your head is not only disturbing but its just not working out for you. Besides everyone knows Ryu's moves inside out, i know what youre gonna do next before even you know it. :eek:

Also i take complete full fledge responsibility for making Ry feel this way. I assumed a fierce constant day after day beating would make him tough but instead it has resulted in him having a complete breakdown, im sorry pal. My bad. :(

and its a wonder - you are easy to beat =p

ayjayirl wrote: »
    and its a wonder - you are easy to beat =p

Poor Ry :(:(:(

Placebo wrote: »
    Poor Ry :(:(:(

Talking to you Farz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Hi OP,

I think you need some schooling in the art of PVP. My suggestion is to box up the PS3, store it away in a safe place. Then go get yourself a World of Warcraft account, level a Warrior to 80 and win all the PVP accolades theres is no matter how long it takes.

(This will take about 2years)

Thrust me, after that you'll be a rock hard Ray Winston PVP'er. No matter what the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ry wrote: »
    First and foremost let's get this out of the way. I'm **** at Street Fighter 4 and I know it down to the fact I can't beat anyone and suffer loss after loss and can go 40 50 to a hundred matches online lost in a row and I've actually counted.

The problem is, I can't deal with losing well at all. I'm talking about consistent losing. I can't just accept it. I get this build up of sheer rage and I want to smash anything I can see and quite often do and I hate it because it stresses me out and only makes me worse and worse at what I'm doing. I think "**** it give the game a break" but the problem is I HATE doing that because I'm leaving after a thrashing and feel like I'm totally defeated which just enrages me even more to continue so I'm trapped in this endless circle of tearing my hair out, shouting at my screen, smashing my keyboard to pieces anger that I can't sort out.

I know how strange it might seem but really guys I actually think I'm in need of help or something cuz I know how bad it is but I don't know how to deal with it.

I've googled **** but all I get is crap about dealing with a loss of a loved one or stuff like that. There's nothing about dealing with rage or anger from losing in games apart from a **** wiki How-to thing which is not very deep at all.

Does anyone have the same issue and or does anyone know where I might find some kind of info on how to deal with it? It's getting to the stage where I have to quit playing a game entirely just to avoid the rages it causes if I lose because I can't take being beat so much. Don't get me wrong i don't mind losing if it's a good fight whatever it is but it's consistent decisive losses that send me over the edge into manic rage ye know.

I know what most people will say and that is "When I lose I just try to learn from it and move on and I don't let it bother me really cuz I know I'll get better" etc, etc. I'm well aware of that mentality and I strive to develop it but I've tried and tried yet I'm still overwhelmingly bothered by the losses that I can't position my train of thought in that way at all.

Anyway thoughts on how you guys deal with losing would be a start thanks! :)

When I start getting hammered by a player in Player matches, I love it! Why? Because I find myself in a position where I am playing a player that is far superior to me and I will learn a ton by doing so.

I would advise to keep a notebook beside you when playing. Wrie down any ideas on why you lost/won etc and review at the end of a session. Identify where you are losing games and try to get eliminate it from your game. How are people getting lots of damage...learn and copy what they are doing right.

Please add me (Garak001). I'm not the best player here my a mile but I do have a better outlook on losing. We can play and have a chat if you're up for it and I could give you pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

I quite like your play style - you're waiting for someone else to do something and countering most stages - looks really calm and solid. You on pc or ps3?

joconnell wrote: »
    Originally Posted by homemadextc View Post

I quite like your play style - you're waiting for someone else to do something and countering most stages - looks really calm and solid. You on pc or ps3?

In the interest of Ry not following this advice (just my opinion with a view to helping a community member out) I must pick this strategy apart a little. If you want to reduce your rage there are many options outside of SF4 but in the interest of stopping the cause (losing) you should take a serious look at what alot of the guys on here already know. Playing to Win! There is already a thread about that so I am not going into it in detail (someone help me with the link) but a couple of points about the above strategy

"Pick akuma teleport like crazy and hado the opponent to their grave" - When akuma teleports he has a recover time just after it where your opponent can attack and with akumas health this is not something you want. Also, for the hado game there is always jumping over them of focus-cancel through them.

"obviously learn to take advantage of certain openings as you opponent becomes sloppy in their attempt to catch you" - relying on your opponent to **** up or get frustrated is not anyway to improve your game. Thats a matter par for the course, if your opponent messes up, destroy him. But in order to imrpove your game you should be more creative in 'making' them mess it up

"best wake-up" - ??????? The best wake up is the one that works. There is always block/throw which every character has.

"best fireballs in the game" - Terry, feel free to take this one....

Just my 2 cents and I am not trying to just pick at homemadextc's opinion but Ry posted genuinely looking for advice and I felt that given I didn't agree with one posted I thought I should post a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

It's like my friend always says 'The Only Way To Become Good Is Be Consistently Raped Until You Become The Rapist'

Or do what i did... quit **** fighter 4 and play blazblue :)

Advertisement