Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie Ahern-good taoiseach?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

Something i've noticed since Bertie Ahern has resigned as Taoiseach is that he is blamed in many quarters for 'wasting' the boom years. So my question here is how many people out there still believe he WAS a good Taoiseach.Personally, i still think he was a good taoiseach.He presided over the biggest economic boom in Irish history and it's only since he left that the Irish economy has gone down the tubes. (I mean,he won 3 elections in a row and was the 2nd longest serving Taoiseach since the foundation of the state so he must have been doing something right).But what does everyone else think-good Taoiseach or not??All comments appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

No.

He was the epitome of a pass-the-buck politician, appearing to promise everything to everyone, but delivering nothing of substance (I remember FF promising "zero tolerance" - ironically via John O'Donoghue - under his reign).

He also ignored the warnings about the impending implosion.

He also has unexplained finances.

He also was Minister for Finance and signed blank cheques for Haughey.

He also couldn't give a straight answer to anything (and still can't).

He could talk for hours and you still wouldn't have heard much more than clichés or contradicting statements.

He gave jobs to ill-qualified friends (his own admission, stunningly rarely commented on acted upon as the nepotistic corruption that it is).

He did not "lead"; he followed the money and the votes.

So - to reiterate. Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

You write 'boom' like it was a good thing. Economics 101 class for you, frankly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    No.

He was the epitome of a pass-the-buck politician, appearing to promise everything to everyone, but delivering nothing of substance (I remember FF promising "zero tolerance" - ironically via John O'Donoghue - under his reign).

He also ignored the warnings about the impending implosion.

He also was Minister for Finance and signed blank cheques for Haughey.

He also couldn't give a straight answer to anything (and still can't).

He could talk for hours and you still wouldn't have heard much more than clichés or contradicting statements.

He gave jobs to ill-qualified friends (his own admission, stunningly rarely commented on acted upon as the nepotistic corruption that it is).

He did not "lead"; he followed the money and the votes.

So - to reiterate. Absolutely not.

He STILL hasn't got his tax clearance certificates!!! (even after FOUR years of stalling with the revenue commissioners!)
    ...and now he gets a tax free status because he is a "writer" - he is a fcuking sad, sick joke.

According to Dail law, one is supposed to have such tax clearance items in order to be elected/maintain ones seat.
    ...but hey, this is Ireland, FF are over looking that and not mentioning that fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Your having a laugh. I dont even think he was a good author....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Biggins wrote: »
    He STILL hasn't got his tax clearance certificates!!! (even after FOUR years of stalling with the revenue commissioners!)
    ...and now he gets a tax free status because he is a "writer" - he is a fcuking sad, sick joke.

According to Dail law, one is supposed to have such tax clearance items in order to be elected/maintain ones seat.
    ...but hey, this is Ireland, FF are over looking that and not mentioning that fact!

What does that have to do with him being Taoiseach?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Liam Byrne wrote: »

He explained it very cleary, he won it on a horse!
    and his landlord gave him money, you know, those rental agreements where the landlord gives you money.

Maybe this needs a poll:

>No, he wrecked the country

>No, Are you havin a laugh?

> atari jaguar

>Yes, He was great a taoiseach ( This is in case Eoin Harris is a boardsie)

What does that have to do with him being Taoiseach?

Honestly? How about he simply paying his dues as another Irish citizen, behaving as the rest of the hard working tax paying people are.

The begrugger won't even cough up what the rest of us are doing since our first day of work - why the feck should he have been put or in a further higher position of power? :mad:
    Why the feck is the Dail procedure rules being ignored and he still able to keep his seat as a standard TD!
    Why? Because FF need every seat possible to stay in power, keep their STILL massive wages and perks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

He was and is a thieving self serving b*****d.

He was and is a thieving self serving b*****d.

You got this wrong.

You left out "deluded".

He lead a government that reduced the amount of money raised in all taxes spent on servicing the national debt from 20% in 1997 to 4.3% in 2007.During the same period average incomes rose by an average of 131%.In 2004 the Irish economy was still growing at 3 times the average eurozone rate.And the initial boom years were from 1997-2000. I don't think too many of you were complaining then.

• Advertisement

He lead a government that reduced the amount of money raised in all taxes spent on servicing the national debt from 20% in 1997 to 4.3% in 2007.During the same period average incomes rose by an average of 131%.

.....and replaced it with a situation where the amount of taxes servicing NAMA and the bank bailout will cost way more than that.

Never before has "I gave them jobs because they were my friends" had such crippling and long-term effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Bertie Ahern a good Taoiseach? Hah, you're having a laugh!

He lead a government that reduced the amount of money raised in all taxes spent on servicing the national debt from 20% in 1997 to 4.3% in 2007.During the same period average incomes rose by an average of 131%.In 2004 the Irish economy was still growing at 3 times the average eurozone rate.And the initial boom years were from 1997-2000. I don't think too many of you were complaining then.

As one gotten the pleasure of now living through TWO Irish depressions and the decades in between, I can tell you right now - there was MANY complaining!!! :mad:

The fool outright refused to invest enough in modern medical procedures, failed to invest in national institutions, failed to get the banking institutions in order, failed to clean up the land planning acts , those involved and their purchasing procedures ( a lot of whom where HIS mates by the way! :rolleyes: ), failed to support the Gardi for their crying out for modernisation, failed to save state funds (McCreavy at his behest at one stage stating he was to "spend, spend, spend",) - the list goes on....

By god there was many giving out about this crooked ways, his mysterious money moving ways, his strange purchasing or obtaining of homes, brown envelopes and swapped favours.

Did some of the public want to know? No!
    "Aaa sure he's a grand chap and he comes across as such - sure we'll vote for him again!!!"
    His once boss Charles Haughtey trained him well. TOO WELL!!!

Biggins wrote: »
    As one gotten the pleasure of now living through TWO Irish depressions and the decades in between, I can tell you right now - there was MANY complaining!!! :mad:

The fool outright refused to invest enough in modern medical procedures, failed to invest in national institutions, failed to get the banking institutions in order, failed to clean up the land planning acts , those involved and their purchasing procedures ( a lot of whom where is mates by the way! :rolleyes: ), failed to support the Gardi for their crying out for modernisation, failed to save state funds (McCreavy at his behest at one stage stating he was to "spend, spend, spend",) - the list goes on....

By god there was many giving out about this crooked ways, his mysterious money moving ways, his strange purchasing or obtaining of homes, brown envelopes and swapped favours.

Did some of the public want to know? No!
    "Aaa sure he's a grand chap and he comes across as such - sure we'll vote for him again!!!"
    His once boss Charles Haughtey trained him well. TOO WELL!!!

He won THREE elections in a row.Even if in 1997 people didn't know what to expect, in 2002 and 2007, a majority of voting adults approved of Fianna Fails policies.In fact in 2002 Fianna Fail increased their number of seats by 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I wonder if Bertie Ahern actually had any input into economic policy. In the early years it was all McCreevy. After he was exiled, things were going so well that they didn't rock the boat, so Cowen kept the low-tax, light-touch mantra. Things such as benchmarking and tax incentives for the builders seem to come from the mind of a negotiator, rather than someone concerned with the economy. Pressies given to friends and enemies to keep them sweet.

He won THREE elections in a row.Even if in 1997 people didn't know what to expect, in 2002 and 2007, a majority of voting adults approved of Fianna Fails policies.In fact in 2002 Fianna Fail increased their number of seats by 4.

Yes, he won three elections, not as we know it now by skill - but by managing to hide his incompetence from the public, managing to hide is money grabbing actions from the public and managing to hide his behaviour of moving blame, money accounts and property among others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭fontinalis

And the Macarena was number one for how many weeks? Yes there are many idiots in the public.

fontinalis wrote: »
    And the Macarena was number one for how many weeks? Yes there are many idiots in the public.

Yep, and those idiots are still keeping him (as a TD ) and the other FF mob still in power with their votes!

If ever there was an example of sheer stupidity, we have a lot of examples here in Ireland.

God, how patronising is that comment?It's pathetic really, how you can come out with such a sweeping generalisation "there are many idiots in the public".Ever heard the saying " You can fool some people sometimes-but you can't fool all the people all the time"?Looks like Bertie managed to fool all the people all the time, according to some of you.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

in 2002 and 2007, a majority of voting adults approved of Fianna Fails policies

First I'll be pedantic, FF did not garner 50% of the first preference vote so this statement is factually incorrect

Secondly people did not approve their polices, they were swept up in a wave of crazy optimism and bought off with public money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The groundwork and policies that led to the economic boom were developed and imposed long before Bertie Ahern became Taoiseach.
    He was just along for the ride ,riding on the shoulder of political giants that came long before him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Would this be the same period where there was a social housing shortage, people couldn't afford homes and we had one of the highest costs of living?; as a Taxi driver said to me during that period, 'We've never had so much money, but never had so many bills.'
    You talk about the unprecedented growth like it was his great legacy....have you read any papers lately? They took full credit for your boom, but blame everyone else for the bust.
    Education, health...never addressed in any constructive way. e-Voting machines, Equestrian clubs, Marinas, PR assistants, money thrown at failed projects or projects for the few.
    Face it, he'll be remembered for the brown envelopes, money in his wardrobe and the dig outs. You will of course get the odd idiot in a few years saying, 'Ah sure fair play, he got away with it!' Haughey all over again.

God, how patronising is that comment?It's pathetic really, how you can come out with such a sweeping generalisation "there are many idiots in the public".Ever heard the saying " You can fool some people sometimes-but you can't fool all the people all the time"?Looks like Bertie managed to fool all the people all the time, according to some of you.:rolleyes:

Irish politics is an absolute joke, no-one is voted based on competence, skill or qualifications just gombeenism and local nonsense pure and simple. The top three people in the country got into power originally because of family. The public can't be patronised enough.

The groundwork and policies that led to the economic boom were developed and imposed long before Bertie Ahern became Taoiseach.
    He was just along for the ride ,riding on the shoulder of political giants that came long before him .

Are you referring to John Bruton, who wasn't even elected?Or Albert reynolds who was in power for 2 and a half years?Or Haughey who was corrupt(although the IFSC was a great initiative)?One more-it couldn't have been Garret Fitzgerald who did his level best to cripple the country with taxes and almost brought the country to its knees before Mcsharry(and Haughey, actually) saved our hides?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bertie bought peoples popularity. He kept his friends close and his enemies closer.
    He was a good leader of people but just like Custer, he led us into a disaster. He was certainly not a good taoiseach!

?Looks like Bertie managed to fool all the people all the time, according to some of you.:rolleyes:

How do you make that out ? For a start, he didn't fool us, so immediately that's not "all".

And considering that FF didn't get an overall majority (for the first time in their history) there were lots of other people that weren't fooled, either.

Did he manage to fool maybe 20% of people, combining that with the 20% hardliners ?

Probably. But that's far from "all".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you referring to John Bruton, who wasn't even elected?
    eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Actually he didn't WIN any elections - all the governments he led were coalitions. This goes to prove that even though the country was doing "GREAT" we didn't trust him to have full run of the place and always made sure we had someone looking over his shoulder. Pity they were all gutless!

Irish politics is an absolute joke, no-one is voted based on competence, skill or qualifications just gombeenism and local nonsense pure and simple. The top three people in the country got into power originally because of family. The public can't be patronised enough.

God i have to laugh, you've convinced me now.Meet me in Dublin tomorrow and we can march down to Leinster House and do away with this democracy rubbish!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

God i have to laugh, you've convinced me now.Meet me in Dublin tomorrow and we can march down to Leinster House and do away with this democracy rubbish!:rolleyes:

Good man, name another country who haemoorages people like Ireland. there's fcuk all good about being the Zimbabwe of Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement