Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie Ahern-good taoiseach?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

By the way, the fact that someone here can posit the theory that a person who led this country to the brink of collapse was, infact, a good taoiseach and that this statement can then spark a genuine debate, is, frankly, worrying.
    When are people going to wake up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

22 billion deficit last year, 18 billion deficit this year, 54 billion for NAMA, 10-15 billion for bank bailouts and re-capitalisations.

All Bertie Ahern's doing.

Worst Taoiseach in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Let him run for the Presidency.

So we can all thank him properly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

kbannon wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying but he was in charge of the country and allowed the financial regulator to ignore the excessive lending, etc.
    He did encourage hugely unsustainable economics

i encourage women to take their clothes off but it's still up to them :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

i encourage women to take their clothes off but it's still up to them :pac:
    Thats quite different. I'm certainly not suggesting that its his fault that people took out mortgages, etc. What I was suggesting was that the financial regulator stood by watching everyone taking them out knowing full well that many of the borrowers' incomes were not being properly stress tested. No attempt was made to tighten borrowing rules - in fact the opposite was true given that some banks were offering over 100% mortgages!
    Bertie too must have been completely aware of this; I know I was an I'm no economist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

He also perfected the art refusing to take any accountabilly for any of his actions and i doing so has thought the rest of his ganster FF followers from local level right up to the top how to handle political corruption....he is a toal disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

kbannon wrote: »
    Thats quite different. I'm certainly not suggesting that its his fault that people took out mortgages, etc. What I was suggesting was that the financial regulator stood by watching everyone taking them out knowing full well that many of the borrowers' incomes were not being properly stress tested. No attempt was made to tighten borrowing rules - in fact the opposite was true given that some banks were offering over 100% mortgages!
    Bertie too must have been completely aware of this; I know I was an I'm no economist!

I agree with what you're saying

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Riddle101 wrote: »
    There's actually a page on Facebook saying "BRING BACK BERTIE AHERN" which to me is just sad.

To be fair a good few people join those pages just so they can stick the knife in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Something i've noticed since Bertie Ahern has resigned as Taoiseach is that he is blamed in many quarters for 'wasting' the boom years. So my question here is how many people out there still believe he WAS a good Taoiseach.Personally, i still think he was a good taoiseach.He presided over the biggest economic boom in Irish history and it's only since he left that the Irish economy has gone down the tubes. (I mean,he won 3 elections in a row and was the 2nd longest serving Taoiseach since the foundation of the state so he must have been doing something right).But what does everyone else think-good Taoiseach or not??All comments appreciated.

I had my doubts this was a pi** take.
    But your later posts shows you might actually believe this sh**e.
    Perhaps you have a ff view history where all their glorious leaders led the country to prosperity and happiness :rolleyes: Of course you do cast aspertions about haughey bu then you slip in IFSC and how he saved the country.
    hello soldier of dysentery :rolleyes:
    Has it ever crossed your little ff mind that maybe the reason for the bust was the boom in the first place ?

Not all booms, as you affectionately label a construction BUBBLE, are good in the long term or even the short term for those happen not to be in the bubble industries.
    What does that have to do with him being
    Taoiseach?

I think this referred to bertie sleeveen having no tax clearance cert and no bank accounts ?
    The above has nothing at all to do with being taoiseach, if you believe in the ff philosophy where you only do wrong if you are caught and the acts can't be dismissed.
    You know the attitute where crimes are things carried out by the unconnected and non party faithful.
    He lead a government that reduced the amount of money raised in all taxes spent on servicing the national debt from 20% in 1997 to 4.3% in 2007.During the same period average incomes rose by an average of 131%.In 2004 the Irish economy was still growing at 3 times the average eurozone rate.And the initial boom years were from 1997-2000. I don't think too many of you were complaining then.

Oh we have found a few figures on the party website have we :rolleyes:
    The initial boom years, as you label them, were built on real jobs in real industries being funded by export earning products.
    The foundations for this boom were actaully laid by former taoisaigh and ministers of finance.
    Oh and some of them were FG and labour as well as ff.

Maybe some of us were complaining seen as he had created a myriad of quangoes, (jobs for his friends), had done nothign with the health service, had wasted money, had affectively laid the plans for the housing bubble.
    Also a biggy was fact he had a former minister for giving away our natural resources and radio licenses, who happened to be a corrupt lying theiving scumbag, supposedly investigated up every tree in North County Dublin, as one of the top three ministers in his cabinet.

But of course you would rather gloss over that :rolleyes:
    He won THREE elections in a row.Even if in 1997 people didn't know what to expect, in 2002 and 2007, a majority of voting adults approved of Fianna Fails policies.In fact in 2002 Fianna Fail increased their number of seats by 4.

As other poster pointed out quantity doesn't equate to quality.
    Also goes to show how deluded a lot of people were and I would say a lot of it was down to the old adage "I am doin alright jack so screw the rest of ye".
    I would guess not many people who had seen the HSE in action up close and personal were big voters for bertie.

But I again the only thing that matters to ff is winnign the election.
    Doesn't matter how much it costs or what are the long term affects on the country, right ?
    Are you referring to John Bruton, who wasn't even elected?Or Albert reynolds who was in power for 2 and a half years?Or Haughey who was corrupt(although the IFSC was a great initiative)?One more-it couldn't have been Garret Fitzgerald who did his level best to cripple the country with taxes and almost brought the country to its knees before Mcsharry(and Haughey, actually) saved our hides?

Actually haughey eventually did something when the IMF were at the door and he may not have suceeded without the backing of FG under Alan Dukes (Tallaght Strategy), who sacrificed his own career for the country.
    BTW that is word a few ffers should learn, sacrifice. :mad:

Actually Garrett Fitzgerald didn't cripple the country, that honour belongs to yet another ffer jack lynch whose 1977 election manifesto helped sink the country.

As someone stated earlier it is beyond comprehension how some people can still peddle utter sh**e that bertie built this magnificent economy that disappeared overnight once he left power. :rolleyes:

Ah but shure it was all the fault of those peasky Americans and their subprime thingy magigs :rolleyes:

I used to campaign for national broadband but now I seriously think it is wasted on some :(

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Het-Field wrote: »
    That quote suggests you know little or nothing about politics. Bertie's departure did coincide with the collapse, but the collapse was in place, and all that was need was the catyalist i.e. the banking collapse.

-Bertie artificially increased wages through the social partnership sham
    -Bertie refused to take on the Unions
    -Bertie's premiership was predicated on the property boom once he moved Harney, McCreevy and Brennan from the economic and infrastructural portfolios.
    -Bertie allowed this boom to be primed by ignoring sham banking practices, and light touch regulation. It wasnt in his interest to do otherwise

Bertie crippled a fine export driven, productive economy in the name of short term populism. He equally had the gall to tell us that the "boom would get boomier".

A shambles of a leader, who masked this by crippling the country financially.

What imeant was i'd have more confidence in Bertie being able to drag us out of this mess than Cowen.
    jmayo wrote: »
    I had my doubts this was a pi** take.
    But your later posts shows you might actually believe this sh**e.
    Perhaps you have a ff view history where all their glorious leaders led the country to prosperity and happiness :rolleyes: Of course you do cast aspertions about haughey bu then you slip in IFSC and how he saved the country.
    hello soldier of dysentery :rolleyes:
    Has it ever crossed your little ff mind that maybe the reason for the bust was the boom in the first place ?

Not all booms, as you affectionately label a construction BUBBLE, are good in the long term or even the short term for those happen not to be in the bubble industries.

I think this referred to bertie sleeveen having no tax clearance cert and no bank accounts ?
    The above has nothing at all to do with being taoiseach, if you believe in the ff philosophy where you only do wrong if you are caught and the acts can't be dismissed.
    You know the attitute where crimes are things carried out by the unconnected and non party faithful.

Oh we have found a few figures on the party website have we :rolleyes:
    The initial boom years, as you label them, were built on real jobs in real industries being funded by export earning products.
    The foundations for this boom were actaully laid by former taoisaigh and ministers of finance.
    Oh and some of them were FG and labour as well as ff.

Maybe some of us were complaining seen as he had created a myriad of quangoes, (jobs for his friends), had done nothign with the health service, had wasted money, had affectively laid the plans for the housing bubble.
    Also a biggy was fact he had a former minister for giving away our natural resources and radio licenses, who happened to be a corrupt lying theiving scumbag, supposedly investigated up every tree in North County Dublin, as one of the top three ministers in his cabinet.

But of course you would rather gloss over that :rolleyes:

As other poster pointed out quantity doesn't equate to quality.
    Also goes to show how deluded a lot of people were and I would say a lot of it was down to the old adage "I am doin alright jack so screw the rest of ye".
    I would guess not many people who had seen the HSE in action up close and personal were big voters for bertie.

But I again the only thing that matters to ff is winnign the election.
    Doesn't matter how much it costs or what are the long term affects on the country, right ?

Actually haughey eventually did something when the IMF were at the door and he may not have suceeded without the backing of FG under Alan Dukes (Tallaght Strategy), who sacrificed his own career for the country.
    BTW that is word a few ffers should learn, sacrifice. :mad:

Actually Garrett Fitzgerald didn't cripple the country, that honour belongs to yet another ffer jack lynch whose 1977 election manifesto helped sink the country.

As someone stated earlier it is beyond comprehension how some people can still peddle utter sh**e that bertie built this magnificent economy that disappeared overnight once he left power. :rolleyes:

Ah but shure it was all the fault of those peasky Americans and their subprime thingy magigs :rolleyes:

I used to campaign for national broadband but now I seriously think it is wasted on some :(

Had a nice little rant have we?.I was listening until you said that Garret Fitzgerald didn't cripple the country.After that i lost interest.In future, to calm down, take a deep breath and count to 10.There's a good lad.I put part of that quote in bold to point that it's a bit ironic that JMAYO doesn't want national broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Yes - Bertie was the Celtic Tiger & a good leader of our country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What imeant was i'd have more confidence in Bertie being able to drag us out of this mess than Cowen.

On what basis ?

Considering he ignored the warnings that "this mess" was on the way, and still blames it on the "global downturn", rather than his cock-ups and appointees, I'd have ZERO confidence that he could do ANYTHING about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

God i have to laugh, you've convinced me now.Meet me in Dublin tomorrow and we can march down to Leinster House and do away with this democracy rubbish!:rolleyes:

We have a President who wasn't elected in last presidential election because someone decided we weren't going to have one

We have a Taoiseach who wasn't elected leader of his party.

We have a government elected under a different taoiseach, who in turn should not have been allowed to take office without a Tax Clearance Cert. And subsequently resigned in disgrace.

This same government is propped up up by a party whose leader during the run up to the last election proclaimed that he would resign rather than go in to government with FF. He then resigned after the election in order to let his party do so.

What is this Democracy that you speak of?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    On what basis ?

Considering he ignored the warnings that "this mess" was on the way, and still blames it on the "global downturn", rather than his cock-ups and appointees, I'd have ZERO confidence that he could do ANYTHING about it.

On the basis that in the years he was in power we acheived substantial economic growth and he showed himself relatively able to manage the economy.

On the basis that in the years he was in power we acheived substantial economic growth and he showed himself relatively able to manage the economy.

PMSL....."managing" doesn't involve creaming it when things are good and legging it as soon as things get bad.....

I'd hate to see your definition of "managing your money" if you won the Lotto.......spend and waste all round you, and then when the money was gone, claim that you'd "managed" it...... :rolleyes:

Fr0g wrote: »
    We have a President who wasn't elected in last presidential election because someone decided we weren't going to have one

We have a government elected under a different taoiseach, who in turn should not have been allowed to take office without a Tax Clearance Cert. And subsequently resigned in disgrace.

This same government is propped up up by a party whose leader during the run up to the last election proclaimed that he would resign rather than go in to government with FF. He then resigned after the election in order to let his party do so.

Sorry, if it's conspiracy theories you're looking for you'll have to go to a different thread.I thought Cowen and Mcaleese were elected unopposed?There's a big difference between that and not being elected.I do agree that Cowen has no mandate for government however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Fr0g wrote: »

Sorry, if it's conspiracy theories you're looking for you'll have to go to a different thread.I thought Cowen and Mcaleese were elected unopposed? There's a big difference between that and not being elected.I do agree that Cowen has no mandate for government however.

Everything he stated is accurate. Historic record.
    Where are these "conspiracy theories" your on about?
    I suggest that one better go and study up on this subject more (instead of just grabbing FF PR and spun figures off a website).

Biggins wrote: »
    Everything he stated is accurate. Historic record.
    Where are these "conspiracy theories" your on about?
    I suggest that one better go and study up on this subject more (instead of just grabbing FF PR and spun figures off a website).

Well to say Cowen wasn't elected leader of FF is nonsense-he was elected unopposed.Same story with the president-she was elected unopposed.So everything he says is not accurate.Come back when you have your facts straight.

Well to say Cowen wasn't elected leader of FF is nonsense-he was elected unopposed.Same story with the president-she was elected unopposed.So everything he says is not accurate.Come back when you have your facts straight.
    Check again, they were nominated unopposed (by their OWN party faithful as with FF).
    Not elected.
    Check the details, the fine details...

To quote you:
    Come back when you have your facts straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think history will be very unkind to Ahern.

• Advertisement

Check again, they were nominated unopposed (by their OWN party faithful as with FF).
    Not elected.
    Check the details, the fine details...

To quote you:
    Have a look at this link.http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0409/fiannafail.html
    I especially like the 6th line where it says he was "elected unopposed".

I would think that the key point is that an election requires a vote.

If someone is "nominated unopposed", then there is no need for a vote, because even a single vote would be a "majority".

Therefore, no election.

Yea, the technical phrasing and accuracy of reporters is legendary.
    They should have stated he was nominated to the position unopposed - but hey, yet again another website that dumbs down info for the masses (whom they think, we can't handle such more accurate detail) and loses its actual accuracy - then sadly others pick it up as supposed 100% true fact... :(

I wish folk would look at the fine details and not just post the quick fire generalisations - which surprise - turn out to be wrong in a lot of cases.

Yea, the technical phrasing and accuracy of reporters is legendary.
    They should have stated the was nominated to the position unopposed - but hey, yet again another website that dumbs down info for the masses 9whom they think, we can't handle such more accurate detail) and loses its actual accuracy - then sadly others pick it up as supposed 100% true fact... :(

Just admit you were wrong and stop embarassing yourself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He didn't though. He created the illusion that he was in control but in fact he was steering the ship straight for the rocks. He, however, was pushed overboard just as things were getting bad.
    The economy was allowed to overheat with wages rocketing, property prices reaching stupidity levels, no care or control over investment in public services, spending whilst concurrently reducing taxation, insufficient "rainy day" investment, etc.
    Same story with the president-she was elected unopposed.So everything he says is not accurate.
    I don't recall being able to vote for the President under the current term.
    doc_17 wrote: »
    I wish the present was much more unkind to him though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

doc_17 wrote: »

No it will be unkind to us all if he is mentioned, the jumped up little anorak. Now registered as an artist. Should have been con-artist.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Folks, kindly stop wasting time by splitting hairs in a silly manner on the elected/unelected mumbo jumbo.

An unopposed candidate doesn't have to go through the final stage of the election process but the effect is the same whether they do or not: they are confirmed elected/confirmed the victor, whatever. If they go through the process as pre-decided and no-one can come up with enough support to deign themselves worthy to oppose them then there's no difference in practice. Or effect. Which is obviously what is actually pertinent.

If there's any implication that there was "funny business" in the election of either Cowen or McAleese then that's just idiotic. If there was no "funny business" then it's pointless bringing it up except as a weakness in the alternative candidates. Which in turn has no relevance to the thread.

The point about Ahern's tax situation is reasonably made and far more relevant to the thread than the (under the rules) reasonably short-circuited confirmations of Cowen and McAleese in their various roles.

the tl;dr version is: moderator requests small number of posters to stop their unproductive hair-splitting silliness.

This thread is unlikely to last an awful lot longer - it's not as though there's a significant percentage of discourse with a point on it beyond a series of rants. If that percentage increases then it's likely to last longer.

Ok i think all relevant posts rating to this thread have been made.We're starting to repeat ourselves so i'm going to ask the mods to close this thread down.Thanks to everyone who posted-while i might not have agreed with everything you said it certainly was a good debate!:)

Long story short, history is already his judge and he has already been found wanting...
    ...for actual details - which he can't remember! :rolleyes:
    ...for accurate records
    ...for unaccounted for horse racing slips
    ...for not paying his dues like the rest of us still are weekly (he still stalling after 4 years!)
    the list goes on and on...

The only thing he should run for now is head of a mafia gang - o' wait - hang on...
    Maybe he sorta done that already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Ok i think all relevant posts rating to this thread have been made.We're starting to repeat ourselves so i'm going to ask the mods to close this thread down.Thanks to everyone who posted-while i might not have agreed with everything you said it certainly was a good debate!:)

Closed at OP request.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement