Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Music Production Course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Has anyone heard anything about this course or done it?and if not do you think it looks good? thinking about giving it a go.

Cheerssmile.gif

http://www.soundtraining.com/coursedetail.php?id=5

i did that course a few years back . its good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Expensive though. I'm starting the advanced Reason course with Real Sound next week.

Here's a link to their website

http://realsound.squarespace.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭R.Shackleford

Expensive though. I'm starting the advanced Reason course with Real Sound next week.

Here's a link to their website

http://realsound.squarespace.com/

Just had a look there. looks like a great course for the price! might look into the abelton module. Do they do a introdution course to Reason? dont think my skills would be up to scratch for the advanced Reason course!

Thanks for the reply.

Just had a look there. looks like a great course for the price! might look into the abelton module. Do they do a introdution course to Reason? dont think my skills would be up to scratch for the advanced Reason course!

Thanks for the reply.

Yep I did the beginners course last year. Was very helpful. Id never opened the program before so helped me a lot. They just showed what the different things did, explained ADSR, showed a bit about using the sample playing thinggy etc. All the basic stuff.

Id say if you know the basics of Reason then you should be good enough to skip the beginners and go to the advanced. To be honest, I haven't even used Reason since I did the course as I'm now using Logic. So it's not going to be that advanced (I hope :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

lads would you not just get the programme and have a go yourself.

from what has been said about the reason course id be pretty confident you could learn the basics yourself in a week or two.

then yu could skip straight ahead to the advanced stuff.

seriously its not that hard to understand it just requires some effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

seannash wrote: »
    lads would you not just get the programme and have a go yourself.

from what has been said about the reason course id be pretty confident you could learn the basics yourself in a week or two.

then yu could skip straight ahead to the advanced stuff.

seriously its not that hard to understand it just requires some effort
    thats what i did with cubase , just got my head down to it and figured it out , and i still am learning new features with it , been using cubase for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Check out macprovideo.com,, Great tutorials you can look at over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gitman

best way to learn is from you tube and the likes you can watch them over and over til you grasp what your trying to learn keep your money man

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

I am seriously thinking about doing this Electronic Music Production course in STC.

I have no recording experience at all. Will I be out of my depth?

column wrote: »
    I am seriously thinking about doing this Electronic Music Production course in STC.

I have no recording experience at all. Will I be out of my depth?

so lets say you spend x amount of money on this course,youll learn the basics and come out of it needing to spend a few bob on equipment and software.

cut out the middle man and just buy the software and equipment and stop being so ****ing lazy and learn it yourself.

as was posted before,if your interested in making music why the **** havent you downloaded the countless free daws out there and started to try and do something yourself.

the answer is that your ****ing lazy.you want to be shown everything by someone else and you want to fasttrack to making big tracks that everyone loves and gets you gigs in the best clubs in the world.

do yourself a favour and dont waste you money because you dont have the passion for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

so lets say you spend x amount of money on this course,youll learn the basics and come out of it needing to spend a few bob on equipment and software.

cut out the middle man and just buy the software and equipment and stop being so ****ing lazy and learn it yourself.

as was posted before,if your interested in making music why the **** havent you downloaded the countless free daws out there and started to try and do something yourself.

the answer is that your ****ing lazy.you want to be shown everything by someone else and you want to fasttrack to making big tracks that everyone loves and gets you gigs in the best clubs in the world.

do yourself a favour and dont waste you money because you dont have the passion for it

I have been lurking on this forum for a while, checking out different threads, enjoying tracks by the likes of yourself and jtsuited through your myspace and soundcloud links. I've only been at making music on Reason for the last couple of months after being recommended the software by a brother in law who sat down and showed me a quick tour for about an hour. I then started looking at tutorials online. Having worked with certain multimedia packages about 5-10 years ago I could start to find my way around easy enough and have started picking up different tips and tricks even though the tunes I've produced are far from being anything great, my time taken up in the evenings with two kids. I also played in bands as well as a teenager so I had a bit of rudimentary music theory and understanding of scales and such like. With this background and the fact that I spend all day in work on computers, I feel confident enough I can work away by myself and keep on learning more and more through trial and error and I'm enjoying that process.

But I feel what you're just after saying is one of the most ignorant posts I've had the misfortune to read. Many people have different reasons for why the might want to do these courses. Maybe they don't have any previous experience in computers or in music full stop and want to explore this avenue and just want somebody to explain to them in person to give them a head start. It that's what they want to do I say fair play to them. There is a lot of info on the net but unless you know what you really want it can be overwhelming and very hard to sort the good from the bad. All you have to see is the various debates over which DAW is the best to understand why some people would approach this area with some trepidation. Don't accuse them of being lazy just because its not the approach you took. It does you a complete disservice and brings down the whole tone of the forum. Who would ask for any help if this the answer they can expect? Forums rely on fresh blood to stay active and interesting. I've seen some wither to the point of death because attitudes from established posters like yourself who feel they need to exhibit some form of superiority. It that's your scene, its no concern of mine but next time leave the ranting at the door - its really pointless.

While everyone can teach themselves to do whatever they want, it can be very beneficial, especially at the beginning, to do some sort of course outlining the basics. While I wouldn't pick the course you are interested in, simply because of the cost, if that's the one that interests you most then go for it. However there are loads of options out there so look around.

Seannash, very condascending post. Shame on ya :mad:

I suffer from severe depression and have considerable motivation problems. Sometimes I can't get out of bed. You may call that lazyness. I dont. I am trying to get to grips with something that might bring some pleasure to my existence. I think a course might help.

I am trying to do a course in something I might enjoy - I might be ****. I dont know. I have the money to waste - I just got made redundant and got 10 grand severance pay. I need some direction with this I've downloaded Reason and Ableton Live and countelss issues of Computer Music starter editions.

You dont know why I want to do this but you seem to have guessed that it's something to do with fame and fortune. Thanks for the judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I am trying to get to grips with something that might bring some pleasure to my existence.

Music is a great catalyst for helping depression (diverting those energies into something is great) - but my life of deeply depressing times came to end after getting professional help via counselling (and wanting it). The music only seemed to alleviate it for a short time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Jaysis, that's a bit harsh :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

I would also be in the camp of getting the gear and messing around for a while before doing a course.

As mentioned already, you can get relatively cheap or even free recording software nowadays.

No point in doing a course if you have nothing to go and practice all those new skills on.

Again there are lots of great free tutorials on youtube and they probably cover everything you will do on a starter course. Sean and the lads have even thrown up a few lessons on this forum

The bottom line for learning this mullarkey is spending lots of time messing about and trying different things.

There are no shortcuts but six months from now you'll be on here giving all the newbies advise on the finer details of getting the perfect kick sound:D

Welcome to the wonderful world of music production.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Music is a great catalyst for helping depression (diverting those energies into something is great) - but my life of deeply depressing times came to end after getting professional help via counselling (and wanting it). The music only seemed to alleviate it for a short time :)

I know we're going off topic but I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I am going through the whole medication/counselling thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I suffer from severe depression and have considerable motivation problems. Sometimes I can't get out of bed. You may call that lazyness. I dont. I am trying to get to grips with something that might bring some pleasure to my existence. I think a course might help.

I am trying to do a course in something I might enjoy - I might be ****. I dont know. I have the money to waste - I just got made redundant and got 10 grand severance pay. I need some direction with this I've downloaded Reason and Ableton Live and countelss issues of Computer Music starter editions.

You dont know why I want to do this but you seem to have guessed that it's something to do with fame and fortune. Thanks for the judgement.

Hey Column - Didn't they tell you in counseling Boards exacerbates depression ! ;)

I'm a long time in the ole music biz and it's a source of great joy (most of the time)
    I'm happy with my talent or lack thereof - there's not much I can do about that.

Even at this stage sitting down with someone for 5 mins I'll learn more than a couple of hours reading or looking at Videos.
    The secret is the interaction, you can question and confirm points on the fly.

In your position (from what you tell us) I think a course would be great.

A friend of mine Barry Dempsey gives some courses at his Virtu Studio.
    He has great positive energy about him and a great rep.

Best of luck and don't mind the B-atches around here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Seannash definitely has a point with what hes saying, you have to have that drive if you want to become good and sitting around waiting for things to happen will get you nowhere.

However I understand if someone is starting from absolute zero, its hard to tell what needs to be done. So maybe a course is the best way to begin. Best of luck with it.

I only just noticed this bit now. This is hilarious. Thanks for making me smile. :D

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that ever met me to agree with that statement.

• Advertisement

i have to apologise.i was pretty drunk last night(no excuse i know)and as such i put my point across very badly(and come off like a prick).it wont happen again

sorry if i discouraged you.

i couldnt even remeber posting this til i got the email saying someone had replied:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

i have to apologise.i was pretty drunk last night(no excuse i know)and as such i put my point across very badly(and come off like a prick).it wont happen again

i couldnt even remeber posting this til i got the email saying someone had replied:o

A gentlemanly post Sean, Nice One.

You didn't discourage me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

along the way for some folks, it's worth considering things like learning styles and what's best for you at any given time. I'll not go into a thesis on learning styles but for anyone interested in the theoretical then maybe take a look at something like: http://www.nwlink.com/~Donclark/hrd/styles/honey_mumford.html which would be one of the traditional and accepted approaches to determining a way into learning. It's not the only one, but would be one of the accepted methods from back in the distant past when I studied Training and Development.

Those days are long past (I just got tired of writing Training programmes) but that's the stuff of another forum I'd imagine. Google expressions like 'Learning Styles', 'Honey & Mumford', 'Kolb' and stuff for other links.

The gist of it all is that we all learn in different ways, some are hands on, trial and error and some prefer to know the theory first, and some learn by example and so on and so on. And it can change depending on a whole load of life factors and the occasional threat of alien invasion (In Case of Sonic Attack - for the older folks among us).

In my case, after developing software Training programmes for 10 years I happily worked my way through Cool Edit, ACID pH1, FL Studio without as much as asking a question. When it came to Ableton a few years back I hit a brick wall, tried the videos, forums and tutorials and never quite got the hang of it. Strange 'cos it's probably the easiest to use of all the current DAWs. So, I did a night class, learned how to use the software, met loads of people, expanded my musical horizons and never looked back.

Best of luck with your learning wherever it takes you. Sometimes a course is a wonderful kickstart in ways you'd not even considered and well worth the financial sacrifice.

If all else fails, put a donk on it and everything will be fine and dandy :-)

old gregg wrote: »
    If all else fails, put a donk on it and everything will be fine and dandy :-)

A donk? Im intrigued. Isnt that a big man from Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

A donk? Im intrigued. Isnt that a big man from Australia?
    na, you're thinking of me mate Bruce the Bogan :D

Advertisement