Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Time

Options
  • 12-01-2010 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

My fiance works for a british retailer with shops in the major cities in Ireland.
    Her job involves going to a different shop each day which is alot of traveling for her.
    She does not have a company car and her travel tickets are all prebooked along with accomodation if she is staying overnight, fair enough.
    She is contracted to do a 37.5 hour week but never gets paid for 37.5 hours because she is paid a maximum of 2 hours travel time per day regardless of how long it takes.

Tomorrow morning she is going to cork on the bus which takes about four hours or thereabouts and staying overnight she will get to work shortly before lunch.
    Her normal start time is 8am so at 10am she stops being paid untill she arrives at the shop.
    The next day when she comes home she will have to leave the store at 13.30 to catch the bus her employer booked in order to get her home at a reasonable hour again from 15.30 she stops being paid.

Does anyone know if this is legal, it seems terribly unfair to me as it is not technically possible for her to work and get paid for her contracted hours with all the traveling she has to do.

Thanks for any help or advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

What does her contract say on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Seems odd alright. i often worked various stores for a british retailer also, but as a manager. Travel time was always 2 hours but we were not paid for it as such. I just meant I would miss 2 hours of the day, but still get paid.

If I was rostered 8-5, I would leave my home about 7.30 and be in the store at 10am. Finish at 5, then go to hotel or travel home.

Are they usually on the road(merchandiser,area manager) or is it an exception?

Advertisement