Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Website. Opinions Welcome

Options
  • 12-01-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have set up my first website and i was looking for some feedback on it please?

www.pitchmaintenance.com

Thank you for your time.

Moggie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

1. Remove most of the blank space above the banner and below the text.

2. Make the menu bar on the left a bit clearer - very hard to see the word "Home".

3. You don't nee to tell use "Main Menu" or "www.pitchmaintenance.com".

4. Only use one special offer label.

5. Reduce the number of paragraphs on the front page. Be wary of repeating text.

Front page: "We also provide a consultancy service for clubs , Schools and other Organisations who require an expert opinion on all aspects of Sports Turf management. We currently provide consultancy services to organisations such as The FAI, Leinster Cricket Union, CUS Sports Grounds to name a few."

Consultancy page: "We currently provide consultancy services to organisations such as The FAI, Leinster Cricket Union, CUS Sports Grounds to name but a few."

6. Use sentence case in sentences, do not capitalise every word- change "Aeration - Slitting, Spiking or Verti – Draining" to "Aeration - slitting, spiking or verti–draining" (no gap in hyphenated words).

7. Make the IOG logo bigger. Maybe move it to the left.

8. Check image sizes - some are large and take time to download, e.g. http://www.pitchmaintenance.com/images/stories/garden%20gumtree%202.jpg

9. Other image in the gallery are too small. Try no to be too fancy with the image display. "Keep it simple, stupid!" Why is there no "back" button?

10. Remove "Section" form "Landscaping Section" (repeat).

11. Links - add text. Logos only can be vague. Do you have permission to use logos?

12. No need for a public sitemap on a site this size.

13. Reduce number of fonts / bold / underlined used.

14. Why no full address? Why is the e-mail address in a really small font?

15. Is facebook overkill?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Not too bad. Just some small things I've noticed.

The image beside the facebook icon is broken.
    Personally, the header image would look better if it was centred and the body of the text aligned with the menu on the left. Currently it just looks odd that it is right aligned.

Your <meta name="description" ... /> tag should be different for each page. Google tends to use this for the text below the link to your site when someone search for it. By have a different one for each page your a providing searchers with a description of the web page they searched.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't see one in Firefox. Is it he one that links to the IOG?

From looking at the score code it appears to be a twitter image but not linked to anything. I'm using Chrome by the by...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

Victor wrote: »
    I don't see one in Firefox. Is it he one that links to the IOG?

Firefox doesn't show any icons for broken images.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The gallery buttons are off-screen on a netbook.

Also, I'd instinctively swap the positions of the next and previous buttons - it feels wrong as it stands.

Right. Tested it in IE 7, Firefox 3 and Chrome. IE shows a missing image as does chrome. Firefox doesn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

Not too bad. Just some small things I've noticed.

Personally, the header image would look better if it was centred and the body of the text aligned with the menu on the left. Currently it just looks odd that it is right aligned.

Your <meta name="description" ... /> tag should be different for each page. Google tends to use this for the text below the link to your site when someone search for it. By have a different one for each page your a providing searchers with a description of the web page they searched.

Any ideas how to center or left align the text on the main page?

Advertisement