Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Cable for Internet Access?

• 12-01-2010 10:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Three of us who reside in close proximity want to share one Internet cable. After the cable is plugged into the modem, if we then connect the modem to a 4-port cable/DSL broadband router, can the three computers then connect to the router using 3 of the 4 ports, and allow all 3 computers to access the Internet at the same time? Am I forgetting anything? Will this work?

This router has a built-in NAT firewall, which will present a single address to the Internet.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Will this work?

That's the entire point of the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Just remember that each ethernet cable has to be less than 100 meters in length.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Moriarty wrote: »
    Just remember that each ethernet cable has to be less than 100 meters in length.
    Good guess! And our router-switch has 4 ports to share. This made me laugh!
    (You know too much... ;))

Beta tested our configuration and it ran purrrrrrrrrrrfect! Now pulling cable. Thanks ye'all for the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Good guess! And our router-switch has 4 ports to share. This made me laugh!
    (You know too much... ;))

Beta tested our configuration and it ran purrrrrrrrrrrfect! Now pulling cable. Thanks ye'all for the comments.

One other thing I would add is, make sure you have a decent internet connection or it is going to be very slow if all computers are active at the same time!

Advertisement