Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation for storage

• 12-01-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I know this gets asked regularly but can anyone please give me advice regarding attic insulation for storage space.

I am thinking of adding extra insulation to my semi D built in late 1996. I plan to have some space set aside as storage. I understand that I should roll out the insulation between the beams and then more perpendicularly on top up to a depth of about 270mm for most of the attic.

However, I am not 100% sure about the portion that I want to set aside for storage. What are my options for this? Obviously 270mm is quite high so I cannot just lay chipboard on top of it.

From my reading on this I have 2 options:

Lay something like space board (http://space-insulation.com/board.html) on top insulation up to the top of the beams and then put chipboard on top or

Somehow raise the height of the beams and then floor on top of this.

Are there any resources on the internet to show an example of this i.e. pictures or videos etc?

Any help much appreciated.

Advertisement