Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a keyboard..

Options
  • 12-01-2010 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Guys,

It's about time I upgraded from my crappy,PS2 HP keyboard :o

While i'm thinking that wireless would be handy, i'm not sure I want to go down that route. Saying that though, I have a wireless MS mouse and it's working wonders..

I spend a lot of time writing code as opposed to gaming so I don't really need any uber cool neon contraption.

I'm wondering should I go down the Ergo route and get a wavey type kb. Also, it would be cool to have a knob or two for volume control and seeking in media player/vlc but i'm not sure this is possible.

I think i'll be ordering from dabs or elara as they seem to have the best selection.

What are you guys using??

EDIT: I am inclined to go for an MS kboard as I have a mouse from them and i'm very happy with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jock Strap

How much are you looking to spend?
    I got this last week and it's fantastic, works perfectly out of the box. Has volume control, play/pause and a bunch of other buttons.
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=580-15677

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Jock Strap wrote: »
    How much are you looking to spend?
    I got this last week and it's fantastic, works perfectly out of the box.
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=580-15677

Going by the price/features on dabs.ie i'd prob have a budget of about €50.

Thats not a bad piece of kit but I don't know about the mouse. It looks like one that my friend has and it's not very comfortable. In fact, I don't really like the look of many logitech mice out there for some reason. Did I just say that?

techguy wrote: »
    Going by the price/features on dabs.ie i'd prob have a budget of about €50.

Thats not a bad piece of kit but I don't know about the mouse. It looks like one that my friend has and it's not very comfortable. In fact, I don't really like the look of many logitech mice out there for some reason. Did I just say that?

You can buy the mouse separately (MX620) but i dunno about the keyboard! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I've never been able to get used to ergonomic keyboards. Maybe it's because my hands are bigger than average, or that I use the laptop a hell of a lot, or maybe it's because I've played piano for so long and hold my hands differently to the average typist...

Anyway that's beside the point. My point is to make sure you've had a decent test run with one, as they can take a hell of a lot of getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Definitely a Steelseries 7g.

It rocks pants!

• Advertisement

I just bought a Logitech Media Keyboard 600 in peats for 25.00

logitech%20media%20keyboard%20600.jpg

I've yet to try it out but it doesn't seem bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Have this keyboard for a few months now,really easy to type on. The media controls work fine although i havent installed setpoint so dont know if i am missing out on anything else :pac: would highly recommended it!

yea I agree thats it's easy to type on..

I'm still not used to the tapered block of plastic below the space bar.. there's more plastic below the space bar and less under the left control key. It's just a little weird right now but i'm sure i'll get used to it.

I just installed setpoint.. Only two get the media play/pause button to work right in iTunes. I'm usually against the software that comes with keyboards/mice etc.

Also, I still have to get used to the rearranged home/end/delete key block. And I see they got rid of "scroll lock" :-)

Thumbs up!!

MAJOR ISSUE:

During start up I can't select which OS to boot because the kb hasn't initialised yet. Probably due to it being USB.

I have to use my PS/2 kb to select os..

Does anybody know how to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Try enabling USB Legacy support in your BIOS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

rockal wrote: »
    Try enabling USB Legacy support in your BIOS.

This. And if that doesn't work, try keeping your PS2 Keyboard plugged in and to the side for when you boot up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Why not use one of these:

USB-PS2.jpg

Its what I use with my USB keyboard and I never have trouble accessing bios etc.

I'll give the legacy USB a shot..

Ha, the ps/2 adapter would work i'm sure but I was beginning to get used to being able to press more than 3(?) buttons at a time in Crysis online. :o

That shouldn't be a problem, try changing settings in bios.

I eventually found the setting..it was hidden under a load of sub menus:mad:

Thanks for the help guys..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

been using some wireless logitech keyboard and mouse set - i eventually get a usb mouse for accuracy for gaming :( especially while i play my dota.

and after some bad bios flash when i tried to fix it by old school diskette+keyboard route....omg...the wireless keyboard just annoys the sh!t out of me!!i have the bios usb legacy setup right and use the ps/2 adpater - sometimes wireless keyboard can be a headache, just a warning for ya.

thats the story of me now using the good old cheap and normal wired keyboard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Trying to use a cheap wired PS/2 Logi keyboard myself, but I;m having a slight problem which I cant fix.

This machine has no PS/2 so I'm using a USB adapter, and as just a keyboard thats fine, but none of the media/hot keys work, and when I tried to game on it I had issues with holding keys(W), every few seconds it would cut out. If I turn on Function mode, the media keys throw up lower case characters.

I have all the drivers installed etc, but the thing is Vista(I know) sees it as a generic device and doesnt label it Logitech etc. This works fine with the tevion, but not with this Logi it seems.

Any ideas, or will I need to bin it/get a PS/2 PCI Card?

Advertisement