Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts

Options
  • 12-01-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

What universities/colleges can you do arts in? There is NUIG, UCD, UCC. Is there anywhere else?

What is the difference between the courses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Not too sure, check out qualifax.ie.

The difference are the subjects that are available for study.
    I believe Law is a individual subject in one of them, and not in the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

It only seems to be in a few but I think there are more aren't there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

You can do it in St.Pat's in Dublin I believe and also in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

nui maynooth do arts. I presume trinity do. some are 4 years. some are 3

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

cao.ie my friend will have all the courses each college offers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

TSM in trinity is arts under a different name as far as I'm aware

http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/tsm/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You can do Arts in (BA in Liberal Arts) in Mary Immaculate College, Limerick too. It's a four year course which involves work experience or further study abroad in third year. Prospectus here.

Possible arts subjects are:
    English Language & Literature
    French Studies
    Gaeilge
    Geography
    German Studies
    History
    Léann Dúchais
    Mathematics and Computer Studies
    Media and Communication Studies
    Music
    Philosophy
    Psychology
    Theology and Religious Studies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Arts is often known as Humanites as well. The difference between the courses is the range of subjects offered, the amount of subjects done in first year and the possibility of gaining entry into another course (e.g. Law, Psychology).

Tbh, it all depends on what you're interested in and what career you might be aiming for e.g. there's no point in having a degree in psychology and philosophy if you want to be a secondary school teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bub123

you can do arts in almost any college you want, and it has a huge points range so you're almost guaranteed to get some arts course. it depends on the type of job you want to get out of your degree. for eg, i'm hoping to become a sec. teacher, so my first choice is liberal arts in mary i. i can do 4 subjects in first year and after that year i can decide which 2 i am best at and want to teach. other options on my cao are nuig, ucd, trinity, nuim. you can do arts also in ucc, ul, dcu. your guidance teacher should be giving you a cao pack that has the cao handbook in it. it shows every college and the courses that they offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm in my final year of Arts in NUIM :) In general, you do 3 or 4 subjects in first year, and then 2 for your degree (sometimes you can do just 1 subject). The range of subjects are the same in most universities, you can do languages, social science subjects, even some science ones. I think a good way to get an idea of the different arts degrees would be to ask on the forums here for each uni.

Here's a thread from the NUIM forum about different subjects and stuff
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055619090

If you have any more questions, just give me a PM :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement