Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice bottle of red?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not a wine drinker myself but would like to pick up a decent bottle of red for someone who has done me a favor.
    Something around the 25 ish mark, any recommendations?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What type of red or any seeing as you're not a 'wine drinker'?
    How about Rosemont Estate Cab Sav or Cab Merlot? both under €15

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Go to your local independent wine shop/off licence and ask for advice.
    Personally, if I get a present of a bottle of wine, I much prefer if it isn't a big brand wine from any supermarket. Try to find something a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Go to your local independent wine shop/off licence and ask for advice.
    Personally, if I get a present of a bottle of wine, I much prefer if it isn't a big brand wine from any supermarket. Try to find something a little different.

Ok that helps, thanks. Any off licences around Lucan/North Dublin that would give good advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

There is a nice wine shop in Lucan on the main street - the staff are really nice and will help you find something good in your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

muckety wrote: »
    There is a nice wine shop in Lucan on the main street - the staff are really nice and will help you find something good in your price range.

That's ideal, thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

My recommendation

Available in Tesco/Dunnes/Off License etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

104494431 wrote: »
    My recommendation

Nothing wrong with that but why not something that you can't get in any supermarket ?- it shows a little effort!

OP I'm not very familiar with Dublin Off licences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

104494431 wrote: »
    My recommendation

this is an ok place if you want to pick out a wine, when you know what your looking for. Personally i would prefer to go to a store where people are interested in helping. O'Briens staff are always able to help, all you need is to ask. Other stores offer similar services but not within a short drive, mainly town, Dun laoighre and blackrock. Looking at the site, O'Briens in Citywest is only 20 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

This would be what I'd get, either that or a nice Amarone, at €35 maybe the Amarone is outside your budget though

Agree with the others saying go to a nice independent or at least a decent off licence, i.e. not a supermarket.

I'd go old world for a present too - just seems classier. Probably either French (the classic) or Italian (the one I know best), maybe Spanish if the staff recommend something good.

Advertisement