Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best MotherBoard for NAS Server ?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭

I looking to move my current Samsung F1 1TB drivers from my main rig and build a standalone Server that will run as a NAS & VMWare Server.

Can anybody recommend me a good but not over priced motherboard to suit the bill?

What is needs is lots of fast SATA Raid ports since it will have house a min of 6 drivers.
    It also need to be able take alot of RAM since VMWare eats ram for breakfast.
    I'd like it stick to Intel {Quid Core, Core2/i5/i7/?} or will think about switching to AMD if I see the right boards.

Graphic are not a major issue but lots of PCI-E {16x & 8x} port are also good if I have to throw a RAID card of anything else into it later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Anybody?

Low-power, mb/chip combo that will take alot of ram {either DDR2 or DDR3} and have a good SATA controller with >4 ports onboard.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

I know this isn't quite what you're looking for... but I'll throw it in anyway...
    I've been looking at one of these - maybe one of these days when I can actually justify spending 375 sterling (not including disks or shipping.) But it's one of the cheapest purpose-built 4-bay Linux NAS boxes with a half-decent CPU for running SqueezeServer or whatever you're having yourself.

* Atom dual-core D510 1.66GHz CPU, up to 4 GB RAM
    * 5x Tool-less HDDs, with hot-plug capability (+ optional eSATA slave)
    * Near silent operation - they claim 23 dBA.
    * Low power - they claim 21 W with 1 HDD.

Advertisement