Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geography extra subject

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

ok so I do geography by myself outside school but the geography teacher in my school wouldn't sign it off for me due to circular 16 or something...that says the work for the project must be in a timetabled class,firstly is there anything i can do to argue cause now i have automatically lost 20per cent.
    secondly can i still sit the written exam without having handed up the project?would it be impossible for me to get a B1 in it which means literally getting everything right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

try a geography teacher in a different school.......don't give up on the project

if you go to www.examinations.ie and click 'schools' on the list on the left, there is then an option 'circulars'. click this and on the main list that comes up down the bottom you will see 'archives'. there's a circular in there for last years geography project. you might be able to find the 2010 one up higher in the list. I couldn't. print it out and start fighting your corner.

and yes i believe you can sit the written exam without having done the project

i found the 2010 geography directions for teachers. it's under oral, aural and practical examinations. what it says is that 'the investigation and report must be completed under the supervision of a teacher'. That's different than saying it must be in a timetabled class. The department are well aware that students take extra subjects themselves. It would be impossible for students to attend the normal geography class because of the other subject you do at the same time. Your geography teacher could easily supervise you during lunch or for a half hour after school if they were accomodating.

print out the document i mentioned and show it to the teacher. if no good there go higher up. you have nothing to lose. it says it has to be in by the end of april.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 frog.girl!

thanks for the help!I can't find the 2010 one either!i think it's looking pretty hopeless.I had a meeting with the principal and she had the booklet with her and had all bits underlined to show me how it was not possible and it's school policy not to allow student's because they could get in trouble with the department.
    how typical of those cheeky teachers to go on the trip before i found out whether or not i could go!

what about all the external students who don't attend school to do the leaving. there's people in their 20s doing the leaving who have jobs. they have to find a geography teacher somewhere. there is a geography teacher somewhere in ireland that will help you. look at the list of grinds for geography and get a teacher

• Advertisement

just found the post-it she gave me with the details of why i can't do it with the school(how generous ha) its under circular 68/04 has to be a timetabled class.:confused:

yeah 68/04 is on the www.examinations.ie . it says the subject must be timetabled not that you must attend the timetabled class. geography is timetabled in the school so they are breaking no rules there. it just says then that the work must be conducted under the supervision of the teacher. i still maintain the teacher could supervise you outside of class and no rules are broken. i'd ring the department if i were you

thank you :) i don't think i will be able to do it in my school now as they have already gone on the trip but i'll ring the department tomorrow and let you know what they say!!!it would be such a weight lifted as i need it for the points,thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Hi. My daughter sat her leaving cert last year, and as she had move schools (from school that did geography to one that did not) mid year the year before, she had the same problem. Her old school also refused to sign of on the project and the new school could not as well. So she was left without the project and a teacher... I can give some help on your second Question, you can sit the written exam without the project and it is possible to get a B1, though very hard. My daughter did Ordinary level and to everyones amazement she recieved a B3 without little to no study. So with the work it would be possible to get the B1 that you want.

I hope this information is of use to you, and good luck with your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I can't believe that she wouldn't sign it for you.
    If it is lies then who cares.
    If they check they can just change the things and such.

I remember that for our woodwork project for the JC, no one had it finished by the date that it had to be done for but we were still doing it after, even 2 weeks.

I'm aware this is different, but still, surely a teacher would. Its the students leaving cert!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm aware this is different, but still, surely a teacher would. Its the students leaving cert!

There are quite serious implications for making a false declaration. Personally, I wouldn't sign off on a project without knowing what I was declaring was true.

spurious wrote: »
    There are quite serious implications for making a false declaration. Personally, I wouldn't sign off on a project without knowing what I was declaring was true.

but I bet you would accommodate the student by supervising them outside the timetabled class

http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/requirements/matric-exam/

If you are going to be disadvantaged in geography by losing 20% and Trinity College Dublin is one of your course choices then you could consider doing the TCD matriculation exam in April. They only do 2 subjects. Biblical studies and Geology. I don't know how close the geology would come to the leaving cert geography syllabus but there's no project. You just apply for the geology exam by March 1 and you get the same points as for an honours leaving cert subject. You can only use those points for trinity college though. Like if your project won't be counted in the leaving cert then 100% in the leaving cert equals 80 per cent in the trinity geology exam. It's supposed to be the same standard as leaving cert higher.

The closing date for application for the examination is 1 March.
    Application forms and a syllabus can be obtained from the Admissions Office, West Theatre, Trinity College, Dublin 2.
    Tel: +353 1 896 4444
    Email: admissions@tcd.ie

EDIT: If you count the geology matric exam in trinity for points then you only count your best 5 subjects in the leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Isotonic

where are you located froggirl??

Isotonic wrote: »
    where are you located froggirl??

north dublin!
    rang the department today,said someone would call me back to talk so I sent an email to practicals@examinations.ie in the meantime!geology sounds good aswell,do you think I would have enough time to study between now and April 1st though?

frog.girl! wrote: »
    geology sounds good aswell,do you think I would have enough time to study between now and April 1st though?

why do you say april 1st? are you thinking of the 1st because the closing date for applying is 1st march? it says on the website the exam is usually in april. could be end of april. maybe may? they might have a date if you pop them an email but shu get the syllabus off them anyway and see. there's a school in dublin that actually teaches the entire syllabus for geology trinity matric. they were mentioned on the forum here before. a search might bring it up. think the school has geology stuff on their website

pathway33 wrote: »
    why do you say april 1st? are you thinking of the 1st because the closing date for applying is 1st march?

Yeh I somehow I just got the two mixed up,whoops!I just requested the syllabus and application form so I'll see what they say!!

well bad news maybe. the website of the high school in rathgar which teaches geology for the tcd matric says its usually on the week after easter. easter sunday is april 4 so thats a pity. you get your result in may so you'll know before the leaving starts if you have 1 in de bag. you can show it to the geog teacher nd tell him/her 'nah nah nah'.

the high school says the syllabus is

The syllabus followed, is that put forward by the Department of Geology, Trinity College, and covers a wide range of basic Geology.
    Branches included are: Earth’s Structure; Mineralogy; Petrology (the study of rock); Palaeontology (The study of fossils); Structural
    Geology (faulting, folding, etc.); Economic Geology (coal, oil, etc.); Historical Geology (the study of the past environments of
    earth’s history) and Dating Techniques that are used in Geology.
    sometimes theres a wide choice in those exams so you wouldnt have to cover all the course

I had a search just before you posted and saw that on the high school website aswell!I'm really interested in it,I have an interest in in anyway so I reckon it might be worth my while doing it!thank you so much you have been unbelieveably helpful!

no prob. dunno where you'd get books for the syllabus though unless you know someone in college who could get them out for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Isotonic

no help to you so. sorry

Isotonic wrote: »
    no help to you so. sorry

u a geography teacher or have u got 'pull'? ;)

Advertisement