Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch issue

• 12-01-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I've a 98 audi a4 that is moving well but one annoying thing, when i put my foot on the clutch, before i depress it, i hear a whrring noise, when the clutch is fully depressing the noise goes. Is this a bearing or am i looking a new clutch ? How much am i looking at ? cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

caomhino wrote: »
    I've a 98 audi a4 that is moving well but one annoying thing, when i put my foot on the clutch, before i depress it, i hear a whrring noise, when the clutch is fully depressing the noise goes. Is this a bearing or am i looking a new clutch ? How much am i looking at ? cheers:)

If the car is making the noise when its idling and the clutch is out, and when you push the clutch in it stops?

More than likely its the release bearing on the clutch. I wouldn't worry about it until you actually go to replace the clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭caomhino

Hi, cheers for the info, yeah, no noise when foot is off the clutch, noise happens as soon as the you put foot on the clutch and goes again when fully depressed. Just annoying really. what do you reckon it would cost to fix ? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Sounds like a release bearing alright. I'd live with it. It could last ages like that. It would normally be changed with a clutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

EPM wrote: »
    Sounds like a release bearing alright. I'd live with it. It could last ages like that. It would normally be changed with a clutch

I agree. Its not worth the hassle. Could be in the region of 200 - 300 squid with the clutch and labour to have it done by a garage

If I was you, I'd live with it op. I have a 98 A4 myself with the same thing. I don't worry about it.

If you need a new clutch, then get it done, otherwise don't bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭caomhino

I agree. Its not worth the hassle. Could be in the region of 200 - 300 squid with the clutch and labour to have it done by a garage

If I was you, I'd live with it op. I have a 98 A4 myself with the same thing. I don't worry about it.

If you need a new clutch, then get it done, otherwise don't bother with it.

cheers guys, i'll hang on so !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Lucky it's not a noise when the clutch is out and car is idling...thats a vaseline job...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Mines the same - worse in cold weather. This is the third winter I've heard it now:o.
    I'll wait for the clutch to pack in & do it all together; 10 years and 128k miles on the original clutch? (and its an ALFA...ssshh)

Advertisement