Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

04 Seat Ibiza 1.2,not starting sometimes?

• 12-01-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi All,
    My Seat Ibiza 1.2 (04, 70k miles) has recently developed a habit of frequently not starting first time.
    It usually now takes two or three attempts to start, and then starts roughly (sometimes with a shudder) also it has become much easier to stall in low speed driving in traffic or parking etc otherwise car drives fine.
    Any ideas what might be causing this , any Seat/VW mechanics out there came across this before?
    Thanks

Comments

Could be fuel filter needing a change or ignition related ie plugs or leads or dis cap. Doubt if it's leads or dis cap as the cat would be a bit jerky if that was the case. Has it been serviced in the recent past ? It is probably something easy and cheap to sort :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭biblio

Hi RoverJames
    It was serviced 5k miles ago, spark plugs were replaced at previous service , it doesnt have a normal dis cap or leads, just those coil on plug units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Now dont get too alarmed by this but that 1.2 3 cylinder engine is well known for jumping a tooth on two on the timing chain. This can lead to very hard starting. Get it checked by a pro asap IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Now dont get too alarmed by this but that 1.2 3 cylinder engine is well known for jumping a tooth on two on the timing chain. This can lead to very hard starting. Get it checked by a pro asap IMO.

Seconded.
    I have a 2002 MK4, and have found the forum at www.seatcupra.net very handy for fault finding. And trust me, with Seat's there's always something that needs fault finding, but we love them anyways :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

Saab Ed wrote: »

my wife's 03 1.2L, actually jumped a tooth on the timing chain, had to replace timing chain and tensioner for a whopping 600 quid!! I quick look on line it seems a common problem in and around 70K miles. Apparently the original tensioners were not up to the job!

• Advertisement
Advertisement