Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barre chords

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've pretty much learned to deal with E-shaped barre chords, and I'm learning to play A-shaped chords now. The trouble is, I have trouble stretching my third finger when I'm playing high up on the neck, (say A sharp, for example). I can do it pretty easily with my pinky, which seems to be just the right length to make the barre.
    If I learn to play A-shaped chords using my pinky to barre, am I going to regret it later? Are there more difficult chords which require a third-finger barre?

Cheers,
    Fremen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭kfoltman

Fremen wrote: »
    Hi,
    If I learn to play A-shaped chords using my pinky to barre, am I going to regret it later? Are there more difficult chords which require a third-finger barre?
    I think so - sus4 or 7sus4 chords.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

Hi,
    Not sure I understand, do you mean using three fingers or using one finger to cover three strings?
    Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 finbarr44

I play A shape barre chords with my pinky and have not had any issues. I do this for the same reason you are, in that I found it very difficult to use my third finger. Like anything with the guitar if you persevere you will get it, but I didn't bother.
    I should state that I only play rhytym guitar using full barre chords and any runs I use are on the lower bass notes and I tend to take the barre off for these and use individual fingers.
    Also when I make the barre i cover the high e string with my pinky as my finger does not seem to bend enough to stay off it. This has not been a problem for strumming as persumably I dont strum that string. If I'm fingerpicking I use a different type of barre which only covers those strings I need and therefore for me it has not been a problem.
    I also only play acoustic and as to whether it would be more of an issue with an electric I couldn't say.
    I think overall it should not cause you too many problems that you can't overcome.
    Hope this makes some sort of sense and is some help
    regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

stevemcf wrote: »
    Hi,
    Not sure I understand, do you mean using three fingers or using one finger to cover three strings?
    Steve

Well, suppose I'm playing A sharp. I'll put my first finger on the A string, first fret, while muting the low and high E strings. Then I'll barre the D, G and B strings on the third fret with my pinky, because my ring finger won't stretch that far comfortably, and I get nasty buzzing noises and muted strings if I try.

I was just wondering if it's a bad habit which I'll regret in the future.
    As another poster said, sus4 and 7sus4 chords might be tough playing this way. I'll give 'em a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Any other opinions would be appreciated. I'm playing electric, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

One finger for each fret, if your barring the A shape (CAGED) type bar cord along with 4th finger then you wont be able to add extra notes should you need to include them with the chord.

If you plan on rocking out those type of barr chords day and night without adding additional notes to chord then fire ahead with last finger, later on you might suffer.

Fingers almost memorize chord shapes, comes a time when you don't even think about making shape, fingers turn into auto pilot, if you continue to play A shape barr chords while including last finger, you fingers might memorize the shape, you'll never get over it.

Best go back a step, play a shape with 1st and 3rd finger, ring out every note individually, adjust position / grip until each note rings clear, start with playing D barr chord, get that one down, then move around. In no time you'll have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Thanks. That's exactly what I didn't want to hear, but I guess you can't take shortcuts with these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Its good that you can play these chord shapes using your little finger,
    I do this on occasion, because if you angle your pinky correctly,
    you should be able to sound the high E string which is barred by your first finger.
    But as other have said, its also good to master the shape using your third finger in place of your pinky,
    which is ultimately a more common / useful way of playing that shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Fremen wrote: »
    Thanks. That's exactly what I didn't want to hear, but I guess you can't take shortcuts with these things.

Playing A shape barre with 4th finger can work, many a guitar player uses 4th finger, trouble is if you start taking short cuts now, who's to say you wont take another short cut when you move onto next difficult chord, and then another etc. You never really know what kind of music you'll end up playing a few years down road, best not limit yourself.

With strap on guitar, stand up and practice as I've mentioned above until you can play A shape barre chord's clean without even thinking.

Advertisement