Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apples keeping potatoes fresh

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Ok, here's a question that others would be too embarrassed to ask, but not me. I buy potatoes and store them next to apples, based on various information I've found on keeping potatoes fresh. It seems to work, but here's the thing: when the potatoes are all gone, can I still eat those apples? I can't imagine why not, but the science of how a few apples stops potatoes from sprouting leads me to wonder if some sort of chemical reaction is happening that would render the apples tasteless and/or harmful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The apples are safe to eat. They merely give off ethylene gas which inhibits the potatoes from sprouting. Ethylene gas will also ripen fruit, so to quickly turn any unripe bananas ripe, for example, put them in a loosly closed paper bag with an apple or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

The apples are safe to eat. They merely give off ethylene gas which inhibits the potatoes from sprouting. Ethylene gas will also ripen fruit, so to quickly turn any unripe bananas ripe, for example, put them in a loosly closed paper bag with an apple or two.

Works with hard avacado too - put in the cupboard or fruit bowl with fruit and ripens perfectly :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I thought it worked the other way around, that bananas will ripen other fruits, or perhaps there are number of fruits that produce this gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The ripening process by ethylene gas (for bananas) is explained here. Yes, it seems bananas, apples, and many other fruits produce it.

Advertisement