Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza base, how long in fridge?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

I made pizza dough on Saturday, and halved it - made one pizza Saturday and put the rest in the fridge in a small tupperware container. I went to make a pizza tonight and the dough had gone a little bit slimy. This looked like A Bad Thing so I left it. Should I have gone ahead, or was I right to throw it in the bin?

Is there a fridge life for pizza dough that's less than a couple of days? I know freezing it is a good idea, but thought it'd last 3 days in the fridge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Funny you ask that.

I made pizza dough last Saturday week.
    Used some on Sunday and Tuesday and then discovered the last ball hiding in the back of the fridge yesterday.
    Made the pizza tonight and it was gorgeous - the nicest of all of them.
    I kept mine in small plastic bags - wasn't slimy at all. I took it out to warm up for an hour or so and went ahead with it.

Now I knew that pizza dough was best being left for a few days in the fridge to develop slowly but I never imagined it would last 10 days and not go off. It did have a bit of a beery, yeasty flavour which added to it in our opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

That reminds me of this post. Bread dough will develop more flavour if refrigerated overnight than not due to enzyme, as opposed to yeast, activity. There's a post about it here. Enzyme activity won't spoil the dough like excessive yeast activity can. In fact, it's a good pre-cursor before you let the yeast do it's thing, as it breaks down starchs into sugars for the yeast to feed on. To prevent the dough from going slimy, do as tbr does and put in plastic food bags, or wrap it in cling film.

Advertisement