Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toilet training twins

Options
  • 13-01-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

ok, any tips, i'll take them all, we have two boys, 2 and a half years old, both crazy and not currently showing any signs of readiness ie not complaining when wet or dirty.
    Help. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Place a tennis ball in the toilet and play a game. Let them try and aim at the ball with their poo. This makes going to the toilet fun so they are more likely to suceed. Boys usually start later than girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Watching this thread with interest. We also have 2 boys aged 2 and a half nearly. One tells us when he is wet or dirty (poo is one of his favourite words) but the other says nothing about it and doesnt complain about it.

I have heard of the tennis ball (or ping pong ball or wine bottkle cork) trick alright and plan on doing that. I am hoping that once one starts using the toilet, the other will copy him and make it a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi.. You could buy two potties leave them in the toilet and explain what they're for etc etc. However if your lo's are not showing signs of being ready are not bothered about wet or dirty nappies then personally i would say they are not ready and not to try toilet training for awhile. How are their language skills? Could they tell you if they needed to go to the toilet? if not then definitely hold off for a few months.. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

thanks for replies, its prob a bit early as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

As a mum and childminder to mostly boys I've helped toilet train about 15 children so far and from experience nearly all the boys were around the 3 years of age mark, the odd one 3.5 years.

A lot of people confuse toilet timing with toilet training.

If using a potty then I suggest getting one of the deeper ones or one of the ones that is like a seat with a lid and can convert to just putting the seat part in the seat of the toilet and using the other part as a step. If the potty is on the shallow side boys do not like their testicles touching a cold surface.

Something similar to this works well.

http://www.buy4now.ie/worldofwonder/aspx/productdetail.aspx?pid=105645&loc=P&catid=29.12

Whatever you do keep calm and positive if there's an accident.

Here's a link of tips on toilet training, it's a bit long to copy on to here.

http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/general_help/article.php?id=36#151

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭charlieroot

A couple of things :

1) Work going to the toilet into their daily routine. When they get up in the morning bring them into the bathroom and sit them on the potty. Let them sit for a little while and encourage them to go. Same thing just before bed.

2) Try rewarding them when they tell you that they need a change / need to go / number of times they use the potty. Put a chart up on the fridge in the kitchen - mark it off with stars or ticks or something. Tell them if they fill a line then they get a reward.

3) Be patient (not a small thing to ask :), don't punish or get angry with them.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Also give them rewards. For example for peeing into the toilet you could give them a toy but for doing a poo into the toilet you could let them watch another episode of their favourite TV program. Do up a chart showing their progression and who has completed the most poo's and pee's. They will compete against each other to be successful.

Advertisement