Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants changing and closing electricity accounts cuasing disconnections

Options
  • 13-01-2010 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

I'm am at my wits end. My tenants changed the electricity supplier to Airtricity from ESB. They told me after they did it and I said OK but change it back at the end of the tenancy. I reminded them of this in November as they were due to move out in December - I got all the assurances.

What has happened?
    They moved out on the 29th December having closed the accounts on December 16th. They gave Airtricity my name and that was it. I heard nothing from Airtricity and called them to settle the bill for the period of 16th - 19th December with meter readings. They could not find an account without either an account number or MPRN number. I asked the tenant for these and he said he didn't have them or had lost the paper work!!!! Either way i didn't get them. When i told airtricity this they finally found the address today and informed me that i was due for disconnection. I signed up with them and an hour later received a call from ESB Networks informing me that i had been disconnected. Airtricity are now charging me a fee of E117 to reconnect. They claim that they sent a postcard with a ref number on December 24th, which still has not arrived ! Lovely that they count 12 days of Christmas when the work out their disconnections times! Despite raising a complaint for disconnecting without giving any contact or making any allowance for Christmas postal issues and current weather conditions which affect delivery of post, they stand by their charge and disconnection decision. They referred me for disconnection calling it 'non-payment'. The charge for the period was E24!

Firstly, how can a tenant get away with this?
    Secondly, how can the supplier justify this?
    Thirdly, is there anything i can do with airtricity?
    Fourthly, are there any regulations or laws to protect landlords and property?

I feel my account was hijacked by both the tenants and Airtricity. Do i have any control over supply in my own house?

Thanks, I'm frazzled!!!!!!

Sorry if you see this message twice, but was advised to change where i posted this by the moderator.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

You might want to calm down a little.

Firstly, how can a tenant get away with this?

Maybe apart from not having the Paperwork to hand. The tennant hasnt done anything wrong as far as i can see. They can choose which supplier to user while they let the place. When it ends they called them up and gave them your name and then Airtricty are supposed to take it from there.

Secondly, how can the supplier justify this?

This is where your problem is. Airticty seem to be a little lax in their controls and especially over christmas and such. I'd get back on the horn to them and speak to someone senior.

1) Post not recieved
    2)Insuffiencent time to change over
    3) Explain its tennants who moved out and you are taking the connection back yourself

Failing that.. This is who you complain to.

http://www.energycustomers.ie/complaints/index.aspx

Thirdly, is there anything i can do with airtricity?
    See above

Fourthly, are there any regulations or laws to protect landlords and property?

I'm really not seeing what needs protecting here. Unless the tennats have unpaid electricty bills in that case its different. You can try the PRTB route if you wish.I assume you are registered. But it'll take forever and i dont fancy your chances because i see them pointing the finger back at airtricity.

The Tennants can choose whichever supplier they wish while they hold the lease. Just like the bins, phone service or sky/ntl. When they leave they are supposed to hand over back to the landlord. Anytime i have had to do that it just involves me giving the ESB/GAS or whomever the name of the landlord and they send some paper work to the address in their name.

The whole MPRN thing is a bit off.They should have been able to locate it by address or previous tennants name and around when the account was closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

No idea about Airtricity, but the tenants should be obligated to return the property to the status it was when they moved in - i.e., until they sign over the electricity back to you on a certain date, they are liable. Giving the company your name on the phone, not paying their final bill and causing disconnect of the service is being a bad tenant. The costs of returning the property to rentable state should be deducted from their deposits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 annoyedlandlord

Thanks for the replies, particularly regarding the complaints procedures. I spent time on the phone today to Airticity who informed me that they were not under any obligation to contact me at all by post when i complained that their postcard only arrived this morning, and was dates December 29th not 24th as call agent had informed me. I was told that i could call back customer services and raise a complaint but that it would make no difference as the charge would stand. Makes me wonder why they bother having the complaints procedure (apart formt he fact they have to) if they have made a decision to disregard whatever is submitted in the complaint!

This is the final straw in what has become a bit of a nightmare with what i thought was a good tenant until now. The is next to nothing left of the deposit due to bills and damage to the property, and having the power disconnected at the a time when i was trying to get all the repair work completed and all my annual checks done was frustrating. I got lucky with my gas installer who came back 3 times to complete the safety checks while I waited to get reconnected.

I knew how difficult Airtricity can be with accounts - which was why I firstly asked the tenant a month before he moved out to make sure to return the supply to the supplier i was with when he took on the lease. It was also why i asked repeatedly for the account and MPRN numbers because i have had previous experience of Airtricity refusing to look at the accounts or even to look for them by address or name. Then they cut you off for not completing a contract when they won't look up the flippin property when you call to do it.

The whole compaints procedure with PTRB is hardly worth it. The tenant has gone on to buy his own house now - so not likely to cause any hassel to another landlord again.

Anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Yeah ok. With that further information the tenant was being a dick.

Airtiricty though are the ones with the problems. They should be under obligiation to contact you by post as soon as the tennatn gave you the name.
    I've had both sides of similar with Bord Gais/ ESB and i have not run into your problems.

Good luck with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pete4779 wrote: »
    No idea about Airtricity, but the tenants should be obligated to return the property to the status it was when they moved in - i.e., until they sign over the electricity back to you on a certain date, they are liable. Giving the company your name on the phone, not paying their final bill and causing disconnect of the service is being a bad tenant. The costs of returning the property to rentable state should be deducted from their deposits.

I'd echo what Pete has stated.
    The cost of returning the property to the state in which the tenants originally rented it, can justifiably be deducted from their deposit- and I would suggest contacting the PRTB and advise them of this in advance of purloining the deposit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement