Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Leon

Options
  • 13-01-2010 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

What is the general opinion on these? I currently drive a Golf but was looking at one of these as a possible cheaper alternative. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm no expert when it comes to motors!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

How much are you spending? What engine? Mark 1 or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What year? which models are you looking at etc? And what's your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 willham

Sorry,should've put that in the OP. The one I was looking at was a 07 1.4ltr with 40k on the clock. The asking price is €10,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

new ones are €15300. find €5000 somewhere.

The 1.4 isn't the best option. It can give problems as the miles rise and it's not enough in a heavy car. Presuming it's a Costa spec. It's got most of the basics but the grey interior is mank. I'd try source a 1.4 tsi. You'd get one for not a lot more.

I have an 06. The air con compressor packed up under warranty but more serious was the gearbox dying which cost a grand to have rebuilt. Otherwise it's been faultless. It's stood up really well and polishes up like new. No creaks or rattles and generally still feels very fresh. Plenty of space too.

The best spec is either Stylance (1.6 petrol or 1.9 turbo diesel) or Sport Plus (1.4 tsi). Sports suspension is fine up to 16 inch wheels but firm on anything over that. I have 17's and the sport-up pack and around town it will have you really reading the road for even small bumps. Cruising is grand though and not noticeable at all.

I'm possibly on the lookout for a replacement and I'd buy another one no problem. Fancy a fast diesel this time though.

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    The 1.4 isn't the best option. It can give problems as the miles rise and it's not enough in a heavy car. Presuming it's a Costa spec. It's got most of the basics but the grey interior is mank. I'd try source a 1.4 tsi. You'd get one for not a lot more.

I have an 06. The air con compressor packed up under warranty but more serious was the gearbox dying which cost a grand to have rebuilt. Otherwise it's been faultless. It's stood up really well and polishes up like new. No creaks or rattles and generally still feels very fresh. Plenty of space too.

The best spec is either Stylance (1.6 petrol or 1.9 turbo diesel) or Sport Plus (1.4 tsi). Sports suspension is fine up to 16 inch wheels but firm on anything over that. I have 17's and the sport-up pack and around town it will have you really reading the road for even small bumps. Cruising is grand though and not noticeable at all.

I'm possibly on the lookout for a replacement and I'd buy another one no problem. Fancy a fast diesel this time though.

Thanks for that. I've had a Golf for 5 years,to be honest it hasn't given me any trouble at all. So I'm just seeing what would be similar to that (but a bit cheaper - recession and all that crap!)

The main difference between the two is the golf has more squidgy plastics and rubber coatings. But they wear off fast enough in them. My interiors still unmarked. I'd avoid a Costa spec like the plague though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sheridr8

I bought an 08 tsi one of these with aero kit a couple of weeks ago, have been changing car a bit last year; golf - cooper s - leon. Leon drives exact same as golf (tsi has a little bit of poke too). Reckon resale will get you though compared to golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

A lot depends on the spec of the car you are getting. 10500 could be a great deal on an 07 if it is a higher spec model. Current sport plus models start at 18500 + metallic paint + delivery setc... (realistic around 19500 all in).
    Personally i would prefer to get a few year older better spec to a brand new bottom of line model. The base model is very basic while the top model comes with all bells and whistles.

Great car BTW.

Personally i would prefer to get a few year older better spec

Ahem

arrow-down-green_benji_p_01.png

• Advertisement

A lot depends on the spec of the car you are getting. 10500 could be a great deal on an 07 if it is a higher spec model. Current sport plus models start at 18500 + metallic paint + delivery setc... (realistic around 19500 all in).
    Personally i would prefer to get a few year older better spec to a brand new bottom of line model. The base model is very basic while the top model comes with all bells and whistles.

Great car BTW.

Below is the one I was looking at.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Leon/1.4i-Cos/200943195564358/advert?channel=CARS

Someone mentioned above that the Costa 1.4 spec should be avoided,so perhaps I should be looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

I had the 1.4tsi model great car with a nice bit of poke its 125bhp. Nice spec in it aswel for the price. Traded it in after 10 months for the FR and would definately buy another leon. The costa model is alright but I wouldnt try to overtake in it the engine isnt powerful enough for the size of the car.

Look for a stylance. They have everything in them. Costa just has a horrible interior. Can get nicer trim with sport up pack. It's not a nice looking interior anyway so every little helps.

Kojack, how do you find the fr? It might be on my shopping list...

Absolutely love it, I have it on the 18" bbs alloys so the ride is a small bit stiff especially with the roads in this country. It does like to drink its bit of oil tho check mine every week or two. The gearbox is a cracker in it tho it allows you to drive it hard without taking over from you and when using the paddles the change is instant up and down. Have you driven one EPM?

Only test drives! Love the engine but a diesel makes more sense for me. Moving to UK for a while and some nice ones over there. If only mine would sell!

Yeah im goin to end having to get a diesel soon enough, there are some lovely ones in the UK and the prices are good aswel.

I want Bluetooth, winter and convenience pack. Maybe xenons too if possible and a sunroof...thing is loads matching that spec over there

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mcfa

Hi all, thinking of buying a 2007 Seat Leon 1.4 Costa (petrol) with 100k miles.

Anything I should be worried in particular?

I'd really appreciate any experiences and feedback!

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement