Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Me Read

Options
  • 13-01-2010 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice. I want to start reading. I got a book before christmas, "Lifecoaching for dummies". It's a subject that im interested in developing. When I read my book it is generally before I go to sleep. I can keep reading it, but never really take in much of the information. Obviously this isn't any good to me. How do I concentrate on reading and taking in the information at the same time. Can people give me tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Reading in bed is fine for plot based novels such as thrillers, but for books which have lots of information and meaning (basically everything else) reading in bed isn't great. You will be drowsy and wont take in much. My advise is to sit on your couch or a hard chair or something. What I find useful is to "review" pages or paragraphs. When you come to the end of a page ask yourself "what was said there?" In a sleepy situation you might not remember, if not reread or just leave it.

Personally, reading history, with its emphasis on factual information, helps my concentration levels. I mostly read literary novels. One can read them like a normal book: drowsy, tired etc, but one will inevitably miss the points being made behind the plot. Reading a history book kind of trained my mind to pick up everything and analyze that.

And I'm wrecked now so I'm heading to bed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Maybe take notes of the info as you read along?
    I think that helped me cram in stuff during university... maybe the brain remembers it if you associate it with something physical like writing... or something. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I think... therefore I am.

Its easy to get distracted when reading, but the main thing to remember is to constantly think about what you're reading while you're reading it. Nothing too dramatic or taxing... Maybe just try to relate it someway. Your brain is a powerful thing (With its own beautiful and internal logic) You can train it to think whatever way you want! Analogies and metephors help along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I usually highlight important parts of my study manuals and then read over them at the end of every page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thanks to all for your replys. I have decided that im going to get myself a crime book instead, something that would interest me. I am going to start a reading log and will review each chapter as I read. I think this could be something that will help. I am going to leave the life coaching book for another day until I get more into my reading. Can anyone suggest good Irish crime books?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Try Michael Collins, all books set in the US but an Irish writer. Or Benjamin Black.

Advertisement