Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good hotel prices?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey guys! I'm staying in a hotel on the weekend (in Dublin city) due to seeing my boyfriend (he's not able to stay in my house here in Dublin).

We figured we'd get a cheap hotel, nothing particularly fancy as we're both skint.

Any ideas? I've googled loads of places, but all of them are doing special deals only if you book online and that isn't possible as we have no credit card!

We've stayed in the Gresham, Burlington, some 4 star place in Exchequer street, Jury's Christchurch and a few others, all of which were lovely (bar Jury's).

Thing is, I'm seeing ads online for hotels in town from €20pp, but when I call them, all I'm told is "Oh no, that's only if you book online through such and such a website."

Is there any way of getting around this? I saw the Gate Hotel advertised at €50 a night including breakfast, if you book online. Do hotels allow you to haggle? I'd like to haggle with them so I get it for the €50 online price, despite having no credit card. I'd be paying upfront in cash, which has never been a problem before (they just take my credit card details, I have a card, just no money in it!!).

So, any cheap hotels that you know of that are in the city center, relatively comfy and above all, safe? Should I try get the online prices when paying in cash? What should I say? I'm looking for a place for Friday and probably Saturday also, depending on the price (we really are smashed, can only pay about 50 a night!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

www.3v.ie

3v is a pre-loaded credit card that you apply for, they post it out within a few working days, and then you just top it up at one of their participating newsgents etc. They're used predominantly for online purchases, and show up to retailers/hotels etc as a VISA card. They aren't discernable in any way from a regular VISA card. You just top it up (at a charge of €2.50 or somethin) to the amount you need and away you go...

Enjoy your getaway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Try the Lesson Bridge Guest House - hotel standard , I stayed there a while ago through laterooms.com and it was only €43 for a double room . The guy on the desk said if I had booked through them I would have got breakfast included for that price. My room was in an annexe overlooking the canal - all the mod cons you would expect in a hotel. Might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

i havent stayed there in a while but im pretty sure that you can book a room with bewleys without a credit card. Just ring them up, ask for a room and then tell them you will be paying by cash. I think if you are paying by cash you have to book by a certain time in the day(3 or 4 pm i think). The rooms are €55 at the moment and are good for that price, although i dont think they have a hotel in the city center!

Other options:

3v, as someone mentioned.

or

Get a bank account with Halifax and Ulster Bank(i think) and you will get a Visa Debit card. It is recognised as a credit card and you can use it anywhere there is a Visa option but the money is taken directly out of your account(like a laser). Then you cn book any hotel you want!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ThePlank

Cheers everyone! Ended up getting the Gresham for 2 nights for €96, delighted with myself!

Advertisement