Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Streaming from Laptop to Xbox 360

• 13-01-2010 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just wondering could anyone help me. I'm currently try to stream videos and music from my laptop to an Xbox 360 and I've encountered a few problems.

I'm not sure if its the laptop (on win7) or the routers fault, I'm with UPC at the moment, and the router is the standard Cisco one.

I have tried going into Windows Media Center on the Xbox Dashboard, gives me a code, then go to Windows Media player on the laptop, type code for extender and it cant find the Xbox on the network at all :confused:

I've also tried using TVersity, no luck (worked grand on a PS3)
    I'm at a loss! Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

donmeister wrote: »
    Hey all, just wondering could anyone help me. I'm currently try to stream videos and music from my laptop to an Xbox 360 and I've encountered a few problems.

I'm not sure if its the laptop (on win7) or the routers fault, I'm with UPC at the moment, and the router is the standard Cisco one.

I have tried going into Windows Media Center on the Xbox Dashboard, gives me a code, then go to Windows Media player on the laptop, type code for extender and it cant find the Xbox on the network at all :confused:

Try looking at your permissions. The network connection for the 360 will need to have media streaming for everyone enabled. Go into network and sharing center in Win7 and then into 'advanced sharing options'. I had a ****ing headache the alst few days trying to set this up. Worked fine at first, but next time it just wouldnt see the xbox on the network. Once i had fiddled with the permissions it was fine.

Turn on your xbox and computer.

Open Windows Media Center on the pc and hit "Stream" then "More streaming options..." then allow your Xbox 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭JacksDad

Turn on your xbox and computer.

Open Windows Media Center on the pc and hit "Stream" then "More streaming options..." then allow your Xbox 360.

You learn something new everyday - nice one! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

donmeister wrote: »

Make sure uPnP box is checked in the Advanced setup page on your Cisco Router.
    My experience is that TVersity massively out-performs WMC on both Xbox and PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

If that doesn't work, make sure WMC and Tversity are added as exceptions in your Laptop's firewall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

RT66 wrote: »
    Make sure uPnP box is checked in the Advanced setup page on your Cisco Router.
    My experience is that TVersity massively out-performs WMC on both Xbox and PS3.
    RT66 wrote: »
    If that doesn't work, make sure WMC and Tversity are added as exceptions in your Laptop's firewall.

Cool thanks I'll do that now and see how I get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Finally got it working but its wired, rather than wireless, oh well. Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

yep wireless wont work great for streaming movies.

I've had countless issues with all of the above - from xp to vista to win7 (current)

A myriad of different issues/combinations with each os / router config (admitedly I have a rather more complicated setup)

the basic gist is, I can stream ok using NO 3rd party apps and by just setting windows media player 12 to allow streaming to the 360 as suggested above. Also, all the other rules I have followed.

** However ** I still cannot succesfully use Media Center and the Extender on the 360. I CAN connect fine but after ~2mins the stream drops and the connection resets. This is unusual since I can stream using standard shares just not with the media center?

sorry for hi-jacking thread but just wondering if anyone has come across this anomally using Win7 and Media Center extender with the 360??

When I check the windows event log it says

1. Media Center session has ended abruptly - error 117
    2. Unauthorized window was detected while running the Media Center Experience

Now I have googled the above errors TO DEATH with no resolution. The computer is certainly set up for streaming and sharing as I can do this in the conventional manner just not with Media Center extender.

The 2nd error above sounds like a dialog or some such is causing Media Center to get interrupted on the server side (xbox being the client) but this is not the case. Anywho have been trying this for days with no success - boards is my last resort!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'd suggest everybody give this a try, it works on the PS3 and 360 and doesn't really need to be tweaked at all, it's very straightforward.

It works very well, with the exception of very high quality HD videos. I think that could be more to do with me having an insufficient processor though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

jasonorr wrote: »
    I'd suggest everybody give this a try, it works on the PS3 and 360 and doesn't really need to be tweaked at all, it's very straightforward.

It works very well, with the exception of very high quality HD videos. I think that could be more to do with me having an insufficient processor though.

but there is no need to convert on the fly anymore - I don't need tversity anymore at all.

I want to use Media Center cuz the interface is slick - especially playing music the bg becomes a wall of all your albums - looks pretty impressive at parties on a big screen tv!! pity it disconnects after 2minutes :/

normal windows streaming works fine without any media server running on my machine tho :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

00sully wrote: »
    but there is no need to convert on the fly anymore - I don't need tversity anymore at all.

I want to use Media Center cuz the interface is slick - especially playing music the bg becomes a wall of all your albums - looks pretty impressive at parties on a big screen tv!! pity it disconnects after 2minutes :/

normal windows streaming works fine without any media server running on my machine tho :)

Never got the hang of Media Centre or Media Player, I like the PS3 Media Server because it's quick and easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I'd highly recommend just using the "my videos" section on the dashboard and selecting your PC, and then just browsing your folders to find and watch what you want. It works brilliantly, no buffering issues or anything, works almost like its running off the hard drive. Just open windows media player while your xbox is on, bring down the library tab, select media sharing and allow xbox network access (WMP11, slightly different on Win7, and obviously import your folders into WMP first)

the Windows Media Centre extender on the other hand, i had really bad performance with and would not recommend using it. I don't find any benefit using it over the 360 dashboard other than a fancy UI. I've used the PS3 for streaming aswell and found it very poor in comparrison to the 360 dashboard streaming. I'm not sure if the range on the xbox dongle is longer than the ps3's wireless but ive always had better results with 360

Advertisement