Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone commute from outside of Dublin?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi, I am in 2nd year of Commerce and live in student accommodation Dublin. I am from the midlands and am thinking of commuting to college from home next year. I don't drive unfortunately so would be using the train. Anyway my reasons are financial and it would ease a lot of pressure of me next year if I didn't have to pay rent and living expenses would be lower at home. Most of my friends are finished college so not too worried about losing out on the social aspect as I'll be very busy next year anyway.

I am not sure yet however if it would be a good idea to commute to college next year as I will have lots of course work to do. My commute would be about 80mins train (not including the time it would take to get to belfield). Am wondering would this be a bit tough especially been in final year? So, anybody who commutes have any advice or opinions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Hey I commuted from Wicklow in my final year, was a 120 minute trip from my house to UCD so it is possible. The biggest impact was on my social life, I put my head down and basically turned my day into the same as a working day, I got in for 9 and stayed till 5. All my college work was done in that period so academically I was fine. I also knew a girl who commuted from Offaly that year so it is possible. But be aware commuting has an effect on the social side of things, especially if you have early mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Robbie444

Hey I commuted from Wicklow in my final year, was a 120 minute trip from my house to UCD so it is possible. The biggest impact was on my social life, I put my head down and basically turned my day into the same as a working day, I got in for 9 and stayed till 5. All my college work was done in that period so academically I was fine. I also knew a girl who commuted from Offaly that year so it is possible. But be aware commuting has an effect on the social side of things, especially if you have early mornings.

Yeah I know of a few who commute in my class. I never considered commuting before as I always wanted to be in Dublin. Now though I am 23 so have done the whole boozing in college thing the first time I was in college a few years back and last year. This year I only ever go out at the weekends so I could even be commuting now. It is starting to piss me off how hard it is to survive up there at times. Can't leave the house without spending money and bloody rent is expensive! Still though it is handy to have a place in Dublin for gigs and stuff but I could always stay with friends. I can be a bit lazy so I'd have to be tough on myself and make sure I actually make the trek to college most days if I was at home. What did you do when you had exams, do you just stay with a friend, or would you commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It's doable and I did it in 1st year but I wouldn't recommend it, I'm from Portarlington as well. You're always tired, relaxation time is kind of fecked because you're compensating for the journey time. Also it'll be your final year, of all the years to commute this wouldn't be one of them. I know a chap in final year of his BComm who has commuted the whole time (doesn't drive either) and it's pretty tough. Dublin might be shit to live in, but I guarantee you two hours of travel in the morning and evening (that's what we're talking) is pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

I live on the opposite side of Dublin from UCD, I have commuted for the past 4 years and am not going to do it for my final year. I have managed to get used to the commute across the city which at times can be as long as 1 hr 30 mins, that twice a day is soul destroying and not to mention the built up anger from all the idiots on the road (I drive to UCD). Thats 3 hours wasted every day - 1t hours a week... Not sure I'd like to start commuting in my final year. The thoughts of that for me personally in final year is to hard to think about so Im planning on moving over closer to UCD next year.
    It may be an option for you though if financial worries are the problem, if you're able to get some course work done on the journey this would make it more doable and free up some extra time for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

I also live on the opposite side of Dublin and commute through town to get to UCD which usually takes about 1hr and 40 mins. The biggest problem I think though is going through town i.e traffic. You've also got to factor in weather because when it is bad you'll really really struggle to get up to a 2 hr journey. My plan is to get a car and just take a route that avoids main roads, (haha hopefully it will work). Commuting by train may give you an opportunity to do course work though and also if you have an exam you'll end up getting through alot in those 2 hrs beforehand!

• Advertisement

My plan is to get a car and just take a route that avoids main roads, (haha hopefully it will work).

Good luck with that plan! There is no way to avoid it ! I've been trying to for four years! Travelling across the city is in fact the "quickest" route, the m50 isnt any quicker and will cost you €20 extra a week with the M50 toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

I actually know a route through Dublin, avoids main roads and toll bridges, and takes about and hour and 15 mins. My friend drives to work which is near enough UCD and he showed me it haha The worst thing for me is the weather, hate standing in O'Connell St when it's lashing from the heavens...ruins your day before you even get near campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

What time are you all driving through town at? I have driven from the northside to UCD at rush hour at made it in 50-60 mins

I have left early in the morning a few times and made it there in 25 mins

Ado86 wrote: »
    not to mention the built up anger from all the idiots on the road (I drive to UCD).

what about the anger of finding a parking space.....

My lectures start at 8am this year, so I leave Castleknock at 7am and am usually in UCD by 8am. But if I were to leave at 7.20 it could be 9am before arriving in UCD. And this is a big improvement on last year, the traffic in the morning is much reduced. In the evening though, different story...still as crap as ever.

• Advertisement

Ado86 wrote: »
    My lectures start at 8am this year, so I leave Castleknock at 7am and am usually in UCD by 8am. But if I were to leave at 7.20 it could be 9am before arriving in UCD. And this is a big improvement on last year, the traffic in the morning is much reduced. In the evening though, different story...still as crap as ever.

I know ,once it starts gettin after 7am it will make a big difference,
    where else is there parking spaces free at around 8am in a decent carpark(not gravel) like the health sciences one?Health sciences is full near 8 mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

I'm commuting from Dundalk at the minute, moving up at the end of march. Its a 2.5-3h trip each way every day, and its pretty soul destroying. No social life during the week at all, wrecked during the day. Doing it out of nessecity as i've a lease I can't get out of. When I was doing my undergrad in DCU I lived across the road from campus. The two experiences are worlds apart. You're only in second year, I'd reccommend moving up if you could, you're going to miss out on a lot of the college experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Robbie444 wrote: »
    What did you do when you had exams, do you just stay with a friend, or would you commute?

Sorry for not answering earlier, electricity has been on and off all week :( I still commuted during exams, the station at Sandymount is fairly close to the RDS so that was fine. Plus any exams in Blackrock are handy enough to get to by train too. I actually didn't notice much difference in my college work, no matter where I lived. If anything my year on campus was the worst :D Trains can be a head wrecker at times but all in all I was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

I commute from baltinglass, wicklow, its pretty hectic, but no choice, as I have 2 children, so moving up to dublin isnt an option
    There are others on my course commuting, one girl from cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I commute from Meath every day. Two hours in the morning and two in the evening on the bus. Moving up is not an option as I have kids. I drove for ten years to Dublin so sitting on a bus reading or catching some z's is a doddle in comparison.

Advertisement