Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trade in now or wait for a year

• 13-01-2010 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭

i have a small little vw polo with 65000 miles,and 01 reg, i spent 1300 euros over the last year to keep it on the road. i am sick to the stones pumping money into the car. My father reckons that i should hold onto the car for 1 more year and trade up using the scrappage scheme. i would have a budget of 10000+ euros plus my polo this year. i would only buy ford, i aint to gone on kia/reno etc. is it better to buy now or wait a year. i reckon the polo as a trade in would get approx 1500euro. it has new tyres and nct. i thick the wichbone is gone as i recently skidded on ice. im sick of wasting money on this car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

do it now. scrappage isn't around forever ya know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭behan29

father reckons it will still be around next year, he reckons that i should just hold out and get the value out of the money i put into the car. he reckons that if i get 1500 euros this year i would get the same next year on the scrappage scheme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

do it now, you'll keep putting money into the polo!
    Get something new or new-ish with a good warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

behan29 wrote: »
    he reckons that if i get 1500 euros this year i would get the same next year on the scrappage scheme!

That there is a scrappage scheme right now is a bit of a miracle - the chances of the same scrappage scheme in place in a years time is less likely than a virgin giving birth. Oh wait - people here believe that too :D

unkel wrote: »
    ....... less likely than a virgin giving birth. Oh wait - people here believe that too :D

:mad:

Not funny at all that to be honest.

• Advertisement

yep, any later in the year and you'll be thinking of an 11 reg. seize the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

If your father has that much faith in it being around next year tell him to put his money where his mouth is and cover the €1500 if it isn't.

End of the day its your money not his. His advice is just as good as ours, but it's up to you to buy or not to buy now.

Scrappage scheme is for new cars only, is there much choice for €11500 ?

you'll get a Yaris for €11935, a Clio for €8990, a Panda for €6999 and loads more. plenty choice IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But doesn't the Polo have to be a 10 years or older to qualify? The OP's is a 2001.

oh feck, never spotted that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

prob still get close to a scrappage deal with the polo

Advertisement