Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will History judge Saddam Hussein?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I've been thinking about this for awhile now and I feel he was clearly a brutal Dictator but can't escape the fact Iraq will be in chaos for a thousand years because he's gone.

His iron fist control now looks like it was I dare say needed there. More have died since his removal than when he was leader. The facts of the invasion are that the USA and UK invaded over WMD that were never there which we all know, the civil wars, secterianism and bloodshed since have been appalling.

So I ask you was Iraq better off with or without Saddam? Is the middle East better off?

Say what you will but he had virtues he was a strong and brave Arab defender who didn't back down to the bully boys, and his invasion of Kuwait while somewhat hasty and rash was in actual fact alot more worthy than the 2003 conflict.

Firstly Iraq was deep in debt after the Iraq-Iran war (80-88) and he made a request to the Kuwaitis for money mainly because if Iraq lost the Islamic Iran would also take Kuwait, secondly the Rumallah oilfields although Kuwaiti were right on the border given him further cause for some oil revenue to rebuild. Thirdly the Kuwaitis knowing the had the backing of USA actually over-produced oil in '91 to spite Saddam by driving the price of oil down thus lowering his existing oil revenues. Lastly the Crown Prince of Kuwait actually said that Iraqis should send their Mothers and Daugthers on the street as prostitutes if they need money which was provacative in the extreme.

So lets here your views on him, also this interview is short but interesting in the pretext to 2003 invasion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64XR36zsIM&feature=related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,348 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hussein was a Brain Tumor: He Had to go, but there will be severe hemmoraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Germany has done fine since Hitler. He built great motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭legal-eagle

What about the good he did like empowering women or his abolishment of Sharia law and making Iraq the only Secular state in the Persian Gulf?

It's undeniable he did good aswell as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

How about you learn history first and come back and ask the question again.The brits ruined that country, along with iran, palestine, and many more, including out own.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't forget the thousands of his own people that he had killed, as well as the mass burial graves that are being uncovered every so often?

• Advertisement

How about I learn History? I'm very familiar with Iraqi history thank you very much. Thanks for your insightful contribution. Bye!

the_syco wrote: »
    Don't forget the thousands of his own people that he had killed, as well as the mass burial graves that are being uncovered every so often?

But many more have died since 2003 than during his reign. That is common knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Saddam didn't get huge loans and or leave in the corporate swine to suck his country dry when he couldn't repay those huge loans they wanted to give him.He stuck to his guns,changed to the euro,and got invaded.
    In November 2000, Iraq began selling its oil in euros

What about the good he did like empowering women or his abolishment of Sharia law and making Iraq the only Secular state in the Persian Gulf?

It's undeniable he did good aswell as bad.
    If you want to list some of his accomplishments, please go ahead.
    But many more have died since 2003 than during his reign. That is common knowledge.
    I beg to differ: its news to me, if you want to provide sources and counts; preferably separate to just civilian casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Iraq, as we know it, probably won't exist in a thousand years time; there's a good possibility that no state we now recognise will.
    Unless people learn from our and our predecessors mistakes, though, you can be sure there'll be plenty of chaos.
    Perhaps there's nothing to learn; perhaps chaos is the natural state of people's interaction with one another.
    I'd like to think things can improve, incrementally; that progress in human affairs can mature much like our knowledge of the world around us has improved through science.
    Or, at least, that people will get closer to taking a rational approach towards dealing with one another.
    If we continue to blindly follow the ego's of our 'leaders' then, of course, nothing will change; again, maybe this is just an immutable truth of humanity.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    If you want to list some of his accomplishments, please go ahead.
    I beg to differ: its news to me, if you want to provide sources and counts; preferably separate to just civilian casualties.

If you're arguing with this poster as pre-text to making a rational defense of the Iraq war, your next few posts should be interesting/amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

digme wrote: »
    Saddam didn't get huge loans and or leave in the corporate swine to suck his country dry when he couldn't repay those huge loans they wanted to give him.He stuck to his guns,changed to the euro,and got invaded.

One of the reasons saddam invaded Kuwait was that Iraq couldnt afford to repay the loans they got from Kuwait during the Iran War.

ascanbe wrote: »
    If you're arguing with this poster as pre-text to making a rational defense of the Iraq war, your next few posts should be interesting/amusing.
    Actually for a change I was just academically interested in hearing the information. Grant you I still think it was necessary to remove him, but I'm interested to hear what good, if any, Hussein generated.
    defense of the Iraq war
    You probably dont know me as well as you think you do ;)

edit: to expand on 'necessary removal' - we were already there for whatever cooked up reason/farce. Beyond that, once it was done and he was overthrown and arrested personally [By a Soldier who could trace his family lineage generation or two back to Ennistymon no less] you couldn't help but appreciate that it was for the best; because Im not exactly sure what good would have come from the future efforts of Hussein.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Usual warning - stay on topic, please, don't personalise the discussion, and refrain from flipping other posters off if you can.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Actually for a change I was just academically interested in hearing the information. Grant you I still think it was necessary to remove him, but I'm interested to hear what good, if any, Hussein generated.You probably dont know me as well as you think you do ;)

You're right. I don't know you at all or your posting form on here.
    I just jumped to a conclusion; in retrospect that was silly.
    As for Saddam Hussein, i don't think the man would understand the concept of doing good.
    But that doesn't mean that those who elected to move against him at a particular juncture in history are much better.
    Their claims for acting as they did ring hollow, to put it mildly; i believe he would have been removed in short order, anyway, through an internal uprising. Perhaps i'm wrong.
    However the supposed humanitarian/world security motivations used by Bush/Blair were laughable, not to mention patently dishonest.
    They go against the concept of how i believe people in power should act; but even if i lived by the concept of realpolitik, i don't understand how anyone could argue they were correct.

But that doesn't mean that those who elected to move against him at a particular juncture in history are much better.
    Indeed. The real question the OP is dancing around but needs to be asked, is who did more damage: the United States, or Saddam Hussein?

Its a fascinating and academic Gray Area in modern history, so I definitely appreciate the Thread.

Indeed. The real question the OP is dancing around but needs to be asked, is who did more damage: the United States, or Saddam Hussein?

Its a fascinating and academic Gray Area in modern history, so I definitely appreciate the Thread.

Yeah. It's a worthwhile thread, i suppose.
    I just can't imagine either of the purported opponents emerging with much credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

The US supported Iran until the Shah was toppled,when the Iran/Iraq war started the US then took the side of Saddam.
    Saddams powerbase was the minority Muslim religion in Iraq,when he got power he became corrupted..........when he got absolute power he got corrupted absolutely:(

Tito kept an unnatural state alive by power of personality and fear,Yugoslavia like Afghanistan were ungovernable without dictators IMO.

My point is as i found in a long running thread about Israel and Hamas that to get the full picture of villians and hero's of history requires deep research before jumping to conclusions.(we had to go back to 800 BC:eek: on middle east!)
    Saddam was an evil man but the people who executed him lost any 'moral high ground'they had by doing so,in fact he was just about the only one who showed some dignity at the 'show'
    people who claim god is on their side but are prepared to execute another human being{i'm agnostic,but i do know 1 of 10 commandments are 'thou shall not kill'} are worse than the any psycho who knows no better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Saddam and his removal will go down as part of the learning curve that is the human race.

It was right that he went but he should have been removed after gulf war one, there would have been fewer problems afterwards.

The current Chilcott enquiry makes interesting reading, my opinion of Tony Blair has changed enormously. (I used to like him).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

The important question is: Who's History?
    If it's the history we all study then doubtless future generations will learn the Saddam was this horrible butcher that kept is people oppressed while they yearned for "freedom". After he threatened to blow up Britain with biological and chemical weaopons, the brave "Coalition of the Willing" just had to act. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

you are very wrong saddam hussein was the cause of more muslim deaths than any other muslim leader in history,as anyone from iran who was around during the iraq/iran war will tell you,it is estimated over one million people died in that war,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I've been thinking about this for awhile now and I feel he was clearly a brutal Dictator but can't escape the fact Iraq will be in chaos for a thousand years because he's gone.
    That's not a fact.
    digme wrote: »
    Trading oil in euro makes no difference. It's the oil that's valuable, not the paper you use to trade it with.
    RedPlanet wrote: »
    He's an academic in UCC afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Saddam and his removal will go down as part of the learning curve that is the human race.

It was right that he went but he should have been removed after gulf war one, there would have been fewer problems afterwards.

The current Chilcott enquiry makes interesting reading, my opinion of Tony Blair has changed enormously. (I used to like him).

Why? What changed?
    Or what was the new information that made you reconsider?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

He'll be judged badly. He buthered his own people, and launched a war of aggression against Iran (back by the West btw), which resulted in a million deaths, being just one among his many atocities.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Why? What changed?
    Or what was the new information that made you reconsider?

I originally though Tony Blair believed the WMD reports and was, to an extent, duped by the CIA into the war, which, incidentally I supported.

The analysis I heard this morning summed up what changed for me, it seems Tony Blair may have been on a bit of an egotistical moral crusade and only used WMD to back up desires.

I don't think he is the warmonger people believe him to be, but I think he wanted to be the saviour of the Iraqi people (Iraqis by the way were the largest group of asylum seekers in the UK) just like he did in Northern Ireland. I don't think for one moment anyone considered the that there would be anything other than dancing in the streets when the coalition entered Baghdad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

and lets not forget the kurds, over one million made homeless and 25,000 killed as a result of chemical-weapon attacks by iraq, in 1984-1989, and in 1991 more than one million were forced to flee their homes in n-iraq because they are predominantly sunni muslims,

RedPlanet wrote: »
    If it's the history we all study then doubtless future generations will learn the Saddam was this horrible butcher that kept is people oppressed while they yearned for "freedom". After he threatened to blow up Britain with biological and chemical weaopons, the brave "Coalition of the Willing" just had to act. :rolleyes:

That adds nothing to the debate tbh. How many people are taught that Vietnam was the US and Australia defending the free world? I fully expect the invasion of Iraq to be remembered the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I originally though Tony Blair believed the WMD reports and was, to an extent, duped by the CIA into the war, which, incidentally I supported.

In a way that gave him both too much and too little credit......
    C reported on his recent talks in Washington. There was a perceptible shift in attitude. Military action was now seen as inevitable. Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy.
    (my bold and underline)
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article387374.ece

Nodin wrote: »
    In a way that gave him both too much and too little credit......

(my bold and underline)
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article387374.ece

In what way?

I firmly believe Iraq was going to be invaded by the way, with or without the UK, Spanish and Australians. I also think France and Germany didn't help by openly announcing their veto on military action so early in the process. As soon as they did that, they backed the US into a position that it was never going to step away from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think Saddam had to be removed and i'm sure history will always look at it that way but the way it was done was not the best way.

It always seemed to me that Bush was more interested in finishing his fathers business in iraq rather than actually wanting to help the Iraqis. The Americans did'nt plan well enough for the aftermath and seemed to naively think the Iraqis would welcome them with open arms and embrace democracy with no problems.

Id say it will be a decade or two before Iraq recovers fully from the invasion.

Advertisement