Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 3347NWG. WiFi stopped working.

Options
  • 13-01-2010 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have a Netopia 3347NWG which was supplied with Eircom broadband. A couple of months back, the WiFi stopped working and after much fiddling with various settings, I gave up on it. A few weeks later it started working again on it's own accord. A week ago it died again and I have no idea where to begin. Could it be a hardware issue seeing as it seems to come and go at random?
    I don't have the Eircom software loaded up as my hard drive died and when I got a new one, I couldn't find the original disk. WIll I need to find it, or is there something I can do without it?
    I'd nearly rather find out it's a hardware issue as I hate faffing about with settings and IPs (more down to not knowing what I'm at rather than lazyness).
    It's a b@stard as my missus got me a laptop for my birthday and I can't use it online:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Ring up their support line (no I don't know it), they'll probably send you a replacement. Happened to my ex before Christmas. You don't need their software.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Ring up their support line (no I don't know it), they'll probably send you a replacement. Happened to my ex before Christmas. You don't need their software.

Thanks. Is it a free replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I don't think my ex had to pay. They might want to send an engineer first, and you may have to wait for that. I take it you're connecting with a cable for now ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There should be no need to go messing around with settings particularly as you admit yourself that you haven't a clue what you are doing. It is inevitable that you are going to do more harm than good that way. The only setting which should affect wireless is the on/off one.

Security of course could prevent access but only if the wireless is actually working. When you say it stopped working is the wireless light on the netopia showing it as off when it is not working?

A wireless tv sender can obliterate a wireless signal so is there any possibility that anything like that could be involved.

There is of course every possiblity that it could be a hardware issue but no one on here can tell you that for definite obviously.

As was pointed out earlier you dont need Eircom software on your computer to connect to a wireless network all you need is a functioning wireless card and of course the password of the network concerned.

And I doubt very much if Eircom will send out an 'engineer' to sort out your wireless problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I wouldn't say I know nothing per se, just that I ran out of ideas quickly. The wireless light is on the router but neither of two laptops or my Nokia N95 are picking up a signal. I live in an isolated house so I have the security switched off for convenience sake. I think it's a router issue so I'll see if I can extract one from Eircom. I'm currently using a cable connection to a PC through the router.
    Thanks for all your replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hi, I had this problem with my one.

Go onto the router and try to restart connect, I had the error 'password field cannot be empty'

Router - Expert Mode - Configure - Connection and type broadband1 into the password field and confirm it. It should be back now. And the connection username should be eircom@eircom.net

Advertisement