Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite albums from the 2000s and why

Options
  • 13-01-2010 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I'd say these would be the albums from 2000 to 2009 that have really blown me away.

1. Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness 2005 - I actually heard this album in 2006 and I was amazed by it. I still think its Primordial’s best album to date. I could also hear some Thin Lizzy in there as well, which is excellent.

2. NFD - Dead Pool Rising 2006 - I also heard this 2006 and it is really a truly great album of old school rock with an 80's feel.

3. Amorphis - Silent Waters 2007 - I much prefer this to Eclipse because of the sheer amount of standout songs and amazing riffs. The new album is brilliant but I still prefer this album.

4. I - Between Two Worlds 2006 - This is a great old school metal album in the vein of Bathory, Motorhead and Venom with a lot of class riffs and arrangements. It was also great to hear this back in 2006 because Immortal hadn’t released an album for four years. Unfortunately I think it might be a one off album.

5. The Eden House - Smoke And Mirrors 2009 - I heard of this album through the Fields of The Nephilim Dawnrazor forum, and after hearing 'To Believe in Something' I just had to get this album. Different female singers do all the vocals, and they do an excellent job. The music is also very goth and Psychedelic based but is well crafted.

6. Fields of The Nephilim - Mourning Sun 2005 - I was waiting for Fields to make and release an album like this for years, because of non official and disappointing albums like 'Fallen' which was terrible. This album has everything that I wished for like haunting arrangements, brooding vocals, atmospheric guitars and most importantly a very old school feel.

7. Moonspell - Night Eternal 2008 - I heard the previous album 'Memorial' and I was not that impressed at all, especially in comparison to great albums like both 'Wolfheart and Irreligious' it was a huge let down. This album is amazing from start to finish with no filler songs and a goth metal feel with a touch of black metal as well. The other bonus songs are class as well like 'Age of Mothers, Earth and Unhearted'. This also the best dark metal album I've heard since Dimmu Borgirs 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' masterpiece album back in 1997.

8. Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness 2002 - Definitely one of Immortal's very best albums along with 'Pure Holocaust and At The Heart of Winter'. Again this album has no real filler as such, although I never really got into 'Within The Dark Mind' for some reason, but it's still a career defing album.

9. Iron Maiden - Brave New World - 2000 - When I heard 'The Wicker Man' way back in 2000 I was really very impressed, and I hoped the rest of the album would live up to my expectations, and thankfully it did. Much like the older classic 80's albums this does have a fair amount of standout songs but unfortunately it does contain one or two songs I never liked. I also think that they haven't bettered this album at all, because I thought the other two albums were quite good, but just not as cool as this album.

10. Amorphis - Eclipse -2006 - The previous album was somewhat of a disappointment but obviously not a complete let down because it did contain some very impressive and memorable songs. This album however just blows it away and the new singer really belts out the vocals. What I loved about this album as well is the way the new vocalist alternates between normal vocals and death metal style vocals to give the album a bit more variety.

11. Adoration - Sleepwalking - 2008 - Another incredible goth style album, that I haven't stopping listening to since I got it. It's kind of like some the classic 'Disintegration' era of The Cure with some of The Mission and Sisters in there as well, but it worked really well.

12. Immortal - All Shall Fall - 2009 - I've been waiting for this rather very good album since 2002, and I don't feel it quite tops 'Sons of Northern Darkness' but it does contain some really outstanding songs. It's still a great album and for me, it is a real highlight of 2009.

13. Opened Paradise - Occult - 2005 - When I heard this album in 2006 I just knew that finally got to hear a band that is paying Fields of The Nephilim, Nosferatu and Garden of Delight a fantastic tribute with their brand of very old school goth rock. I haven't heard any more from this great band since, but hopefully they might release another album in the near future.

14. Opeth - Blackwater Park - 2001 - I don't think Opeth have bettered this album and I was actually very let down by the albums that followed it. To me this is Opeth's best album along with 'Orchid, Morning Rise and Still Life'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

A couple of interesting choices there, will have to check some out.

I didn't find the 2000s amazing great, but I'd say

Cinema Strange - The Astonished Eyes of Evening

Opeth - Orchid

And a few others. Most of the music I listen to seems to be from the 80s and 90s now I look at it, I had presumed as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Opeth - Blackwater Park - 2001 - Their magnum opus, don't think they topped it but the albums that followed were great in my opinion.

Mastodon - Crack the Skye - 2009 - Their most focused and mindblowing effort yet, simply amazing.

Primordial - To The Nameless Dead - 2007 - I love Spirit the Earth Aflame and The Gathering Wilderness but TTND was a natural progression. All the songs completely capture the idea of the album, one last fighting chance. A must have for any metal fan.

Tool - Lateralus - 2001 - Superb album, the quinntessential Tool album.

Altar of Plagues
    - White Tomb - 2009 - This debut album from the ambient black metal Irish band was only released last year but it is fantastic, great atmosphere. I forsee great things for them in the future.

Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis - 2006 - IMO their best album, it focused on brutal attack compared to the technicality of the older albums, also I prefer the vocalists more intelligible lyrics.

Machine Head - The Blackening - 2007 - One of the best comebacks I have heard from any band. This album absolutely destroys. Possibly their best!

Gojira - From Mars To Sirius - 2005 - I was obsessed with this album. Very original groovy thrashy death influenced metal.

Killswitch Engage - 2002 - Alive or Just Breathing - Their second album, and last with vocalist Jesse Leach. This album is just the essential metalcore release IMO. I prefer this vocalist alot more aswell.

Isis - Panopticon - 2004 - Isis are a fantastic band. Their ability to convey emotion in their music is amazing. Panopticon being the best example.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I thought I wasn't giong to get a reply from anyone for this thread, but it's great that I did.:D Some very interesting choices there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Between The Buried and Me - Colors - Best album ever, listen to the Selkies then listen this album as a whole. That's all I'm going to say on it as I tend to whore this band out a bit much. :D

Meshuggah - Obzen Brilliant album, representing Meshuggah's whole style. Wondefully complex and mind boggling with some of the best riffs the band have done. Just listen to Bleed.

Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part 1 Brilliant concept album. Pain of salvation get by with brilliant songwriting and none of the musical wankery usual associated with Prog metal. Ashes is a good starting point.

Hacride - Lazarus Relatively unknown French band really starting to make a name for themselves this year. Sound a bit like Gojira except a bit more Progressive. To Walk Among Them is one of the best songs I've heard in a while.

Amorphis - Silent Waters Brilliant album. Amorphis just show that you can take chords that everyones played a thousand times, arrange them a way that everyone's heard and still churn out a great original album.

Isis - Panopticon Best post-metal album I've heard yet. Great juxtaposition of counterpoint clean guitars with sludgy walls of sound. The songs are allowed to evolve and die down as if it feels natural.

All Shall Perish - Awaken The Dreamers One of the best deathcore albums, I can think of better ones but they just don't sound as complete as this album... Brilliant guitar playing, songwriting and vocals. Great album. Awaken The Dreamers is the best song on here.

Will add more as I bother :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

QotSA-Lullabies to Paralyse, tough to choose, but guess this is my favourite. Hauntingly beautiful tracks with some heavy riffing. Definitely much gloomier than anything else, but best musically IMO.

Muse-Origins of Symmetry, just wow! Some epic tracks, brilliantly written music. Has something I really like, but cant quite put finger on it.

Porcupine Tree-Deadwing, amazing band, amazing musicians, great vision. This is probably their best constructed album, nearly everyones favourite from people who I introduce them to.

Dream Theater-Black Clouds & Silver Linings, contains Count of Tuscany, enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dragons Revenge

DT - Systematic Chaos: Their best album since Scenes

And others. I'm lazy. Ha.

Ooh, Endgame is the album of the Millenium.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I mainly listen to 80's/90's stuff tbh. Only a handful of albums i can think of that stand out in the last decade for me.

Death Magnetic-Metallica. Not the next MOP or any ****e like that but a solid album imo.

Endgame-Megadeth. Another solid album from Megadave,seems to divide a lot of people for some reason but i like it.

World Painted Blood-Slayer. Another great effort from the Slayer boys. Not their best but still sounds great when cranked up.

Contraband-Velvet Revolver. A great rock album,nothing more,nothing less.

Edit: How could i have forgotten MH?!!

The Blackening-Machine Head. Cracking album,don't need to say any more.

Through the Ashes of Empires-Machine Head. A very good album,included mainly because one of my favourite metal tunes of all time is on it,ie. Imperium.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

1. Metallica-Death Magnetic
    2. Judas Priest-Nostradamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Isis - Oceanic
    Original, moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 vs1824

Lamb of god - Sacrament.

Because it's f*kin deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tempelton Peck

Metallica - Death Magnetic
    Machine Head - The Blackening
    Bullet For My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire
    Trivium - Ascendacy
    Acid Drinkers - Verses Of Steel
    Godsmack - Faceless
    Emil Bulls - Phoenix
    Fear Factory - Mechanize

Amorphis - Silent Waters Brilliant album. Amorphis just show that you can take chords that everyones played a thousand times, arrange them a way that everyone's heard and still churn out a great original album.

Great to see someone else who loves 'Silent Waters' as well. It's a fantastic album with lots of standout songs. The new album is also great.:)

Great to see someone else who loves 'Silent Waters' as well. It's a fantastic album with lots of standout songs. The new album is also great.:)

Yeah out of the three Tomi Joutsen albums, it's by far my favourite. Eclipse and Skyforger are both brilliant, but Silent Waters is that bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Dream+Theater+-+Six+Degrees+of+Inner+Turbulence+(2002).jpg

WHY? Because its one of the best albums ever made,a 2 disc album on
    the first disc, it has five absolutely amazing songs and on the second disc is a 42 minute epic song, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.. well worth checkin out

WHY? Because its one of the best albums ever made,a 2 disc album on
    the first disc, it has five absolutely amazing songs and on the second disc is a 42 minute epic song, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.. well worth checkin out

I only really like the second half of it, and at that I don't think it sounds like a standalone song. Moreso a concept album that flows well. Still pretty awesome 42 minutes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I only really like the second half of it, and at that I don't think it sounds like a standalone song. Moreso a concept album that flows well. Still pretty awesome 42 minutes though.

To be honest, im not really a fan of the Overture but the rest is phenomenal.. personally i can listen to it all, and to me think it does feels like a cohesive song, but i guess, thats the beauty of music its all subjective..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Death Magnetic - Metallica:
    A real return to form, even though it didn't make everybody happy.

Shogun - Trivium:
    I believe this album cements Trivium's place among the greats in Metal, Ascendancy was great, The Crusade, well not so much so, but Shogun is unreal - 7 string guitars, plus their drummer is unbelieveable.

Waken The Fallen - Avenged Sevenfold:

Dualing guitars, class harmonies, unbelieveable drummer (RIP Rev), a real Tour De Force. - Listen to Chapter 4!!!

The Poison - Bullet For My Valentine:
    Class riffs, and songs. I feel they took a step back with the new album though, tbh.

DM was like And Justice for Load lol. The modern metallica sensability was all over the album, but was better written over all.

That's what I think of albums like that. It's not one song if it's broken up and tracked sperately.

Glass Prison is one of my all time favorite songs, ever.

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Shogun - Trivium:
    I believe this album cements Trivium's place among the greats in Metal, Ascendancy was great, The Crusade, well not so much so, but Shogun is unreal - 7 string guitars, plus their drummer is unbelieveable.

And now he's gone :p

• Advertisement

A lot of people are picking Blackwater Park for Opeth's best. I'm not sure I quite get it, but the album doesn't really have an atmosphere like Orchid. Orchid has an amazing atmosphere and production. I wish more of Opeth's albums were like that, plus the music itself is awesome. It's got more of a Power Metal, Death Metal thing going on than the hard rock/metal they normally do but I like it better that way. For "That style" of Opeth I found Still Life to be a much better album.

Are there any bands that are like that consistantly? Like not just musically but with the same kind of atmosphere, use of acoustic guitar and piano, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sandvich wrote: »
    A lot of people are picking Blackwater Park for Opeth's best. I'm not sure I quite get it, but the album doesn't really have an atmosphere like Orchid. Orchid has an amazing atmosphere and production.

Well, not to throw a wrench in your post, but the question of the thread is 'Your favourites albums from the 2000s' and considering Orchid was out in 1995, it's probably not quite applicable or relevant to this thread?

Sandvich wrote: »
    A lot of people are picking Blackwater Park for Opeth's best. I'm not sure I quite get it, but the album doesn't really have an atmosphere like Orchid. Orchid has an amazing atmosphere and production. I wish more of Opeth's albums were like that, plus the music itself is awesome. It's got more of a Power Metal, Death Metal thing going on than the hard rock/metal they normally do but I like it better that way. For "That style" of Opeth I found Still Life to be a much better album.

Are there any bands that are like that consistantly? Like not just musically but with the same kind of atmosphere, use of acoustic guitar and piano, etc.

I agree with you that 'Still Life' is awesome. I don't like the much newer Opeth albums because the guitar sound is not really to my liking that much, and the songs just aren't as great as the old stuff. I tend to be extremely fussy when it comes down to metal and rock. As regards Opeth I only really love the all the albums up to 'Blackwater Park' but after that I can pass on anything after that.

If your looking for other bands that have the same kind atmosphere, acoustic guitar, pianos and long epic but well thought out songs you really need to check out 'The Mantle and maybe Ashes Against The Grain' by Agalloch.
    Well, not to throw a wrench in your post, but the question of the thread is 'Your favourites albums from the 2000s' and considering Orchid was out in 1995, it's probably not quite applicable or relevant to this thread?

'Orchid' is a class album indeed, and I love the swedish Dissection stlye guitar sound as well, but it came out in 1996 so unfortunately I don't hink it would be relevant to this thread as Karl said.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wyrd - Heathen
    Akercocke - Antichrist
    Forefather - Engla Tocyme
    Emperor - Prometheus - The Discipline of Fire...
    Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
    Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit
    Krallice - Krallice
    Amorphis - Am Universum
    Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
    Enslaved - Monumension
    Vintersorg- Cosmic Genesis
    Garden of Shadows - Oracle Moon
    Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars
    Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
    Wolves in The Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars
    Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
    Weakling - Dead as Dreams

Some great albums there, especially these ones:
    Wyrd - Heathen
    Amorphis - Am Universum
    Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
    Enslaved - Monumension
    Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I love my old rock/metal favourites and generally avoid new bands, unless they're supergroups.

Slipknot -
    Subliminal Verses, All Hope is Gone (I love the direction they took with Subliminal Verses. Great balance between the angry speed metal and the acoustic rock songs. Really tuneful, great depth in the songs, amazing harmonies too.)

Stone Sour - Self titled, Come Whatever May (These albums sounds perfect in my ears. Mmmmm)

Down - II A Bustle in Your Hedgerow
    (I'm a huge Pantera fan and I love this sludge metal sound. Cool southern bluesy style and heavy riffs too)

Korn - Untouchables
    (Alone I Break and Thoughtless are class songs. This album has a good groove, mellow, kinda spooky feel. More mature than the older nu-metal stuffz)

Jonathan Davis - Alone I Play (It's more of a bootleg recording than an album but it's incredible. He is a beautiful genius. Really haunting album, most of the songs were written for Queen of the Damned. This also has gorgeous acoustic/orchestral versions of some classic and rare KoRn tracks.

Smashing Pumpkins:
    Machina/ The Machine of Gods (From 2000, so scrapes in. Concept albums are cool... :D The Everlasting Gaze is one of the BEST songs ever, especially live. And of course, Stand Inside Your Love)

NIN - The Fragile (No words, just go listen to it! <3)

Flyleaf - Self titled (Saw these supporting KoRn and fell in love with them. Female vocals that just melt into the guitar. Christian rock but you'd never realise)

Paramore -
    Riot! (It's fun, melodic, different to my usual sounds, it's on the Twilight soundtrack... What's not to love? Nice to listen to while lying in the park on a sunny day :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tommy666

SLIPKNOT-subliminal
    LAMB OF GOD-SACREMENT
    INFLAMES-COME CLARITY
    CHILDREN OF BODOM-ARE YOU DEAD YET?
    MASTODON-BLOOD MOUNTAIN
    SLAYER-WORLD PAINTED BLOOD
    MOTORHEAD-KISS OF DEATH
    and many many more ha

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sabaton - The Art of War
    Circus Maximus - Isolate
    Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
    Dream Theater - Train of Thought
    Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera
    Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
    Iced Earth - Horror Show
    Rammstein - Mutter
    Ayreon - The Human Equation

Some Great albums this decade imo

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

SYSTEM OF A DOWN - TOXICITY

MUSE - ORIGIN OF SYMMETRY

WILL HAVEN - CARPE DIEM

QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE - SONGS FOR THE DEAF

MASTODON - LEVIATHAN

DEATH FROM ABOVE 1979 - YOU'RE A WOMAN,I'M A MACHINE

• Advertisement

Ah no sorry in specific, I mean in general with Opeth I see people picking that album a lot in the general, not just as their favourite album from the 2000s. I was having a similar discussion on some metal forum somewhere so I guess it overflowed. Sorry, I forgot what the thread was about for a second!

Advertisement