Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team Of The Decade - Right back

• 13-01-2010 2:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

The nominations are

____________________________________________________________________________

Team so far

Shay Given

EPL TEAM OF THE DECADE RIGHT BACK VOTE 97 votes

Steve Finnan
    0% 0 votes
    Bacary Sagna
    29% 29 votes
    Gary Neville
    7% 7 votes
    Markus Babbel
    48% 47 votes
    John O' Shea
    0% 0 votes
    Micah Richards
    11% 11 votes
    Glen Johnson
    0% 0 votes
    Wes Brown
    1% 1 vote
    Other
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

steve finnan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Poll added.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

redzerdrog wrote: »
    steve finnan

Have to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well if you have John O shea, Richards and Glen Johnson, Wes Brown in you have to consider Lauren, he should be added to the poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Micah Richards?! Good lord.

The likes of Lucas Neill and Tony Hibbert should be in there if he is.

And as for three United right backs in the one poll.....

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

And as for three United right backs in the one poll.....

+1

Close thread and re open imo with proper candidates.

No Chelsea right back nominated, wait until CHD gets here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

shouldnt Lauren be there? he should deffo be there actually! Maybe Hibbert? then there would be Neill, and maybe Carr?

meh, it will either be Finnan with the Liverpool/irish vote

Neville, with some united fans

O Shea with other united fans/irish vote

Neville should probably win on merit of course!

My nominations of rb of the decade would be

Lauren
    Sagna
    Lee Dixon.
    Eboue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

OPENROAD wrote: »
    My nominations of rb of the decade would be

Lauren
    Sagna
    Lee Dixon.
    +1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

I know i'll probly get lambasted for this suggestion but Stephen Carr should be at least on the list, considering some of the other names appearing on it.

Over 200 premiers League games between 2000- 2009

And twice voted into the PFA Premiership Team of the Season (2001, 2003).

Having retired from all forms of football in 2008, he has since made a successful comeback for Birmingham.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

that felt fukin horrible voting for the weasel faced one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I hate Gary Neville as much as the next man, but can't really look past him for this one.

Steve Finnan? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Wow, the EPL has been blessed with some poor quality right backs this past decade.

When you compare the names in that list to the ones who played in Serie A & La Liga in the last decade...Zanetti,Cafu,Panucci,Stam,Maicon,Dani Alves, Casseti,Cicinho,Di Livio,Pessoto,Thuram,Zambrotta,Simic, :(

Right, voted.

Lee Dixon for me, did enough for me in the early part of the decade to get my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

tdv wrote: »
    Wow, the EPL has been blessed with some poor quality right backs this past decade.

When you compare the names in that list to the ones who played in Serie A & La Liga in the last decade...Zanetti,Cafu,Panucci,Stam,Maicon,Dani Alves, Casseti,Cicinho,Di Livio,Pessoto,Thuram,Zambrotta,Simic, :(

Stam, right back? Should have been on this list so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I voted Neville cause I genuinely believe he should win it.

Seeing O'Shea getting votes annoys me. a lot.

IMO, Neville should win this quite convincingly - he has been the most consistent right back over the last 10 years. Finnan is the only other one to come close (quite close)

Sagna has only played 2 full seasons.

O'Shea only 1 season as the first choice right back.

Brown only 1 season as the first choice right back.

Johnson only really has a couple of seasons at Pompey and half a season at Liverpool to go on.

What the fook is Babel doing on this list?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

By far the weakest position on this team of the decade. Personally think Bacary Sagna is the best RB that's played in the league this decade, but taking into consideration the last ten years as a whole, my vote can only be Gary Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

gary neville.

easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

I voted Neville but as far as nominations go Carr would have to be included. Was probably the best right back in the league up to his move to Newcastle and is doing a fine job there again now that he has left them.
    The admittedly biased Villa fan in me also suggests that Mark Delaney would have been a more worthy candidate then some of the players nominated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

for me it would be Boswinga..no Ivanovic..no..Boswinga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

OPENROAD wrote: »
    No Chelsea right back nominated, wait until CHD gets here :D
    To be fair would expect there to be a few chelsea players when team is completed. Definitely Terry, Lampard, and Drogba. Maybe Ashley Cole.

To be fair would expect there to be a few chelsea players when team is completed. Definitely Terry, Lampard, and Drogba. Maybe Ashley Cole.

interesting.

i'll leave that discussion to the apporpriate threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Garry Kelly:cool:

SlickRic wrote: »
    interesting.

i'll leave that discussion to the apporpriate threads.

screw it....i'm going now!

Terry has a good chance, Cole is a certainty. I don't think Lampard or Drogba will make it in though. imo.

screw it....i'm going now!

Terry has a good chance, Cole is a certainty. I don't think Lampard or Drogba will make it in though. imo.

nicely summed up my thoughts on it to be honest.

imo Terry won't get it either. not that he doesn't deserve it, i just think others will be voted for ahead of him.

feck it, i'm bored so here's my predicted team (i won't vote as below, i just think this'll be how it turns out)...

Given
    Neville
    Hyypia
    Ferdinand
    Cole
    Ronaldo
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Giggs
    Henry
    Shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I voted Neville cause I genuinely believe he should win it.

Seeing O'Shea getting votes annoys me. a lot.

IMO, Neville should win this quite convincingly - he has been the most consistent right back over the last 10 years. Finnan is the only other one to come close (quite close)
    This is what annoys me. Gary Neville has been a bit part player for United for all bar 3 seasons of the last decade. He was behind Wes Brown(when fit) for the right back spot. Even his brother Phil was chosen ahead of him for the right back sport quite often. There is no way he should be remotely close to this team, he spent more time at centre back than right back in the two seasons he was chosen for the PFA team of the year.

Lauren stands head and shoulders above him of those who played for big four clubs. Stephen Carr, Steve Finnan, Lucas Neill and Mark Delaney should all be ahead of him too.

This poll is an absolute joke with the amount of top players that are missing from it. Its time to assign this whole thing to the scrap heap imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Anyone who thinks Tony Hibbert should be in the poll is either one hell of a biased Everton fan or just plain delusional.

Mark Delaney is a good shout but I'd have to go for Lauren.

eagle eye wrote: »
    There is no way he should be remotely close to this team, he spent more time at centre back than right back in the two seasons he was chosen for the PFA team of the year.

he was a bit part RB for 3 out of 10 seasons. wow, yeah, that disqualifies him for the whole decade. explain that to me.

when did he ever spend more time at CB than RB? i must have fallen asleep there.
    Lauren stands head and shoulders above him of those who played for big four clubs. Stephen Carr, Steve Finnan, Lucas Neill and Mark Delaney should all be ahead of him too.

Lauren stands head and shoulders above nobody. you're having a laugh. he deserves a mention, and to be in the running, that's all. Lucas Neill deserves a mention, but Neville's trophies, passion, and defending for the most part this decade leaves him ahead for me.

Stephen Carr? deserves a mention, no more.
    Steve Finnan? yes, the only other one that should realistically rival Gary in this poll.
    Mark Delaney? pull the other one.
    This poll is an absolute joke with the amount of top players that are missing from it. Its time to assign this whole thing to the scrap heap imo.

I hate Gary Neville as much as the next bloke, but let's be honest and admit he deserves to be up there. let's not rant about his leading of this poll just because you seem to think so many obviously worthy ones have been left out. try PMing a mod and have them include your ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Finnan - boring, dull, steady, reliable. Was quietly very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This is what annoys me. Gary Neville has been a bit part player for United for all bar 3 seasons of the last decade. He was behind Wes Brown(when fit) for the right back spot. Even his brother Phil was chosen ahead of him for the right back sport quite often. There is no way he should be remotely close to this team, he spent more time at centre back than right back in the two seasons he was chosen for the PFA team of the year.

Lolz.

Hilariously you vehemently discount Neville and then list the dross above, truely brilliant.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

Tony Hibbert

/end thread

he was a bit part RB for 3 out of 10 seasons. wow, yeah, that disqualifies him for the whole decade. explain that to me.
    Wat??????? I said he was a bit part player for 7 seasons, mind you he played plenty of games but he was only covering injuries. He never was first choice at any stage.
    when did he ever spend more time at CB than RB? i must have fallen asleep there.
    You must have slept for the last ten years.
    Well lets see then, I'll pick a month from every year this decade.
    August 19th 2001 vs Fulham
    Irwin Brown Stam Silvestre (Neville unused sub)

January 13th 2002 vs Southampton
    P. Neville G.Neville L. Blanc M. Silvestre

February 4th 2003 vs Birmingham
    Brown Neville Ferdinand Silvestre

March 28th 2004 vs Arsenal
    Brown Neville O'Shea Silvestre

April 20th 2005 vs Everton
    Brown Neville Ferdinand Heinze

May 1st 2006 vs Middlesborough
    Brown Neville Ferdinand O'Shea

September 2007
    Did not play

October 18th 2008
    Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra (66th minute replacement for Rafael)

December 5th 2009
    Fletcher Neville Brown Evra
    Lauren stands head and shoulders above nobody. you're having a laugh. he deserves a mention, and to be in the running, that's all. Lucas Neill deserves a mention, but Neville's trophies, passion, and defending for the most part this decade leaves him ahead for me.

Stephen Carr? deserves a mention, no more.
    Steve Finnan? yes, the only other one that should realistically rival Gary in this poll.
    Mark Delaney? pull the other one.
    I always watched a lot of games that didn't include the top four and everytime I seen Mark Delaney he was class right up until the very end when injuries got the better of him.
    Stephen Carr was by far and away the best right back in the game in the early part of the decade and if you remember that time then you know he is a serious contender for this position.
    Lauren was outstanding for a couple of years for Arsenal.
    I hate Gary Neville as much as the next bloke, but let's be honest and admit he deserves to be up there. let's not rant about his leading of this poll just because you seem to think so many obviously worthy ones have been left out. try PMing a mod and have them include your ideas.
    I don't hate Gary Neville, I am just annoyed at the way he is automatically perceived to have played right back for United all the time when its not the case, he played that position for England over the last decade, he did it for United in the 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Mario Melchiot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Glen Johnson making this poll is nearly as big a joke as his transfer fee. He didnt make it at Chelsea and apart from one good season at Portsmith under Harry his talent is summed up when he was left holding his midriff area when Johnny the beach ball scroed againt them!

Apart from Cole, Evra and Nevile the standard of fullbacks over the last ten years has been awful and out of that list Nevile is the only right back.

• Advertisement

Wat??????? I said he was a bit part player for 7 seasons, mind you he played plenty of games but he was only covering injuries. He never was first choice at any stage.

You must have slept for the last ten years.
    Well lets see then, I'll pick a month from every year this decade.
    August 19th 2001 vs Fulham
    Irwin Brown Stam Silvestre (Neville unused sub)

P. Neville G.Neville L. Blanc M. Silvestre

Brown Neville Ferdinand Silvestre

Brown Neville O'Shea Silvestre

Brown Neville Ferdinand Heinze

Brown Neville Ferdinand O'Shea

September 2007
    Did not play

October 18th 2008
    Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra (66th minute replacement for Rafael)

December 5th 2009
    Fletcher Neville Brown Evra

I always watched a lot of games that didn't include the top four and everytime I seen Mark Delaney he was class right up until the very end when injuries got the better of him.
    Stephen Carr was by far and away the best right back in the game in the early part of the decade and if you remember that time then you know he is a serious contender for this position.
    Lauren was outstanding for a couple of years for Arsenal.

I don't hate Gary Neville, I am just annoyed at the way he is automatically perceived to have played right back for United all the time when its not the case, he played that position for England over the last decade, he did it for United in the 90's.

Brown only played at right back in his breakthrough season and the season before last. He was centreback alongside Rio/ Silvestre/ Blanc throughout the 00's. Neville was Uniteds first choice rightback until his injuries over the last two years.Then Brown stepped in first and now O Shea.

Get your facts straight first before posting!!!!

Well, thats all just wrong.

Phil Neville was not first choice RB ahead of him this decade. Back when they were both younger for a bit (in the 90's) but Phil played far more at LB and DM than he did at RB. Brown as had ONE season as first choice RB, mostly he has been a CB.

Neville has NEVER played consistently at CB.

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Brown only played at right back in his breakthrough season and the season before last. He was centreback alongside Rio/ Silvestre/ Blanc throughout the 00's. Neville was Uniteds first choice rightback until his injuries over the last two years. When Brwon stepped in first and then O Shea.

Get your facts straight first before posting!!!!
    You get your facts straight. What I have posted is true.

Neville has NEVER played consistently at CB.
    What age are you? You can't be seriously saying this as a United fan, if you know your team over the last decade.
    I'm telling you that he was never first choice for any position over most of the decade.

Eagle Eye is obviously right.

Fergie chose Neville as Club Captain when Keane left cause he was a bit part player and not first choice. Like Fergie would pick some one he feels is integral to the team to be captain. Pah!

• Advertisement

You get your facts straight. What I have posted is true.

P. Neville (LB) G.Neville (RB) L. Blanc (Centre Half)M. Silvestre(Centre Half)

Brown(Centre Half) Neville(RB) Ferdinand (Centre Half)Silvestre(LB)

Brown(Centre Half) Neville (RB)O'Shea (LB)Silvestre(Centre Half)

Brown (Centre Half) Neville(RB) Ferdinand (Centre Half)Heinze(LB)

Brown (Centre Half) Neville (RB)Ferdinand (Centre Half) O'Shea(LB)

FACT!

What age are you? You can't be seriously saying this as a United fan, if you know your team over the last decade.

26. and yes I am.

Over the last decade Neville HAS played at CB but never consistently. Always due to other players being injured or suspended; which has seen him moved from RB to CB.

Neville has, throughout his career, been an RB. It is no secret Fergie feels he can play CB, but that is not the prefered position for him.

Neville is an RB, and been the consistent choice there for United for the majority of the decade.

You are simply wrong.

Eagle Eye

your wrong ok

accept it and move on

I'm not wrong but its pointless arguing against thick headed Irish people. They would rather back each other up than admit they are wrong, that post which changes the position of Neville in the games I picked out is just laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Em, Neville has played CB like 2-3 times on average at season at most. He has been United's RB for vast majority of the 208 games in this decade. Fergie wanted him to be a CB, but he was too small. He's been United's RB since the days of Beckham, when they were tearing it up down the right wing together.

4 League Titles
    1 FA Cup
    PFA Team of the Season twice

Brown is more of a CB, than RB, but in that season of the double when we won the CL, he was one of the best defenders I've ever seen play for United. Finally fullfilled his potential. However that's one season, and Neville's being doing it non-stop. Ferreira was also outstanding one season. Sagna has been very good, and I'd say if things continue the way they are going he's got a good shot of being the next decades top performer.

p.s. Lauren should without a doubt be in there. Arsenal players are getting overlooked in these polls so far :)

As for Finnan, great solid RB for his 5 years at Liverpool.

I'm not wrong but its pointless arguing against thick headed Irish people. They would rather back each other up than admit they are wrong, that post which changes the position of Neville in the games I picked out is just laughable.

why the hell are your positions considered to be right, when the responded ones make much more sense and are much more likely.

You are the one being thick headed and refusing to admit you are wrong.

And Gary Neville being voted into the PFA team of the year 5 times at right back is because of what?

thick headed footballers who dont know what position a fellow player plays?

he has played over 500 games for United, and if he has played more then 50 of those outside right back i would be highly impressed

as i said, your wrong, get over it

out of interest, when he played for England where do you think he played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Apart from the last 3 seasons, what are the other 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have to say it is either Finnan or Neville.

kryogen wrote: »
    And Gary Neville being voted into the PFA team of the year 5 times at right back is because of what?

thick headed footballers who dont know what position a fellow player plays?

he has played over 500 games for United, and if he has played more then 50 of those outside right back i would be highly impressed

as i said, your wrong, get over it

out of interest, when he played for England where do you think he played?
    Clearly you have not read my posts, so this is the only response you are getting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement