Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team Of The Decade - Right back

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

eagle eye wrote: »
    Clearly you have not read my posts, so this is the only response you are getting.

WOW

your posts claim Gary Neville played right back when there was injury problems, that Wes Brown has been ahead of him and that Phil was ahead of him!!!

in essence, your posts on the subject are full of ****

even the months you picked to try prove your point are wrong

and so obviously wrong that you must be trollng rather then not able to see it

Great counter arguement though

maybe the reality that your wrong is setting in? are you ready to move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Clearly you have not read my posts, so this is the only response you are getting.

you have not answered why you think you are right with no evidence, whereas we are wrong for backing a claim that is widely accepted as true, granted also with no evidence yet on the table.

insulting us doesn't help either by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I don't believe for one second that Eagle Eye is being serious. Surely he can't be.

Neville should get this but some of the players listed are a joke tbh.

edit: check here for previous seasons fixtures/lineups for United:

http://www.stretfordend.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

what about lauren?

played for the best premier league team of the decade and he can't even get a nomination??

come on ffs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

danlen wrote: »
    what about lauren?

played for the best premier league team of the decade and he can't even get a nomination??

come on ffs!!

No he didn't, he played for Arsenal and Pompey.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Quite possibly my most hated player in all of football, but it's really very hard to build any argument against Gary Neville for this spot. There just aren't really any other genuine contenders, except for perhaps Finnan who was one of our top performers in Rafa's early years.

But over the decade it's Neville quite comfortably in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Eagle Eye, you say Neville wasn't first choice for United - I had a quick google search and found that he played 214 prem games since the 00/01 season - and that's despite the last three quarters of the decade being wrote off for him through injury. To put this into context, Wes Brown played 201 games in the same period. There's no two ways about it - Gary Neville was a first team player for Man Utd for the first 7 and a half years of the decade.

As for where he played - go watch any United match from this decade where Neville played and you'll see him supporting Beckham or Ronaldo down the right flank. Yes, he played CB the odd time as cover, but he is predominately a Right Back. Didn't Ferguson himeslf say he felt Neville was too small for CB. Hand picking 5 examples of Neville playing CB does nothing for your arguement.

If you don't think Neville deserves to win this poll thats fine, but you don't need to make stuff up to back up your arguement though.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Eagle Eye, you say Neville wasn't first choice for United - I had a quick google search and found that he played 214 prem games since the 00/01 season - and that's despite the last three quarters of the decade being wrote off for him through injury. To put this into context, Wes Brown played 201 games in the same period. There's no two ways about it - Gary Neville was a first team player for Man Utd for the first 7 and a half years of the decade.

As for where he played - go watch any United match from this decade where Neville played and you'll see him supporting Beckham or Ronaldo down the right flank. Yes, he played CB the odd time as cover, but he is predominately a Right Back. Didn't Ferguson himeslf say he felt Neville was too small for CB. Hand picking 5 examples of Neville playing CB does nothing for your arguement.

If you don't think Neville deserves to win this poll thats fine, but you don't need to make stuff up to back up your arguement though.
    Not even picking games where he was at CB. Games where EE has decided he played CB, despite the lineup featuring two CBs, a LB and Gary Neville.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Lads I think everyone here knows eagle_eye is wrong other than eagle-eye. No real point debating whther Neville was predominantly a RB or CB. Everyone on here bar one person knows the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

This is what annoys me. Gary Neville has been a bit part player for United for all bar 3 seasons of the last decade. He was behind Wes Brown(when fit) for the right back spot. Even his brother Phil was chosen ahead of him for the right back sport quite often. There is no way he should be remotely close to this team, he spent more time at centre back than right back in the two seasons he was chosen for the PFA team of the year.

Lauren stands head and shoulders above him of those who played for big four clubs. Stephen Carr, Steve Finnan, Lucas Neill and Mark Delaney should all be ahead of him too.

This poll is an absolute joke with the amount of top players that are missing from it. Its time to assign this whole thing to the scrap heap imo.
    What age are you? You can't be seriously saying this as a United fan, if you know your team over the last decade.
    I'm telling you that he was never first choice for any position over most of the decade.

wow....has to be a level surely?

League Stats
    00/01 32 Appearances 32 starts
    01/02 34 Appearances 31 starts
    02/03 26 Appearances 19 starts
    03/04 30 Appearances 30 Starts
    04/05 22 Appearances 22 starts
    05/06 25 Appearances 24 starts
    06/07 24 Appearances 24 starts
    07/08
    08/09 16 Appearances 13 starts
    09/10 5 Appearances 4 starts (20 games played in season to date)

not bad for a bit part player who was never first choice.

i just want to highlight how amusing it is seeing Liverpool fans, including myself, sticking up for Gary Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SlickRic wrote: »
    i just want to highlight how amusing it is seeing Liverpool fans, including myself, sticking up for Gary Neville.

should be ashamed

not doing ye're jobs right at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

I'm not wrong but its pointless arguing against thick headed Irish people. They would rather back each other up than admit they are wrong, that post which changes the position of Neville in the games I picked out is just laughable.

I didnt change the position of Nevile I placed the correct postions of each player. Maybe you have crossed over from some alternate reality or something and it hasnt dawned on you yet!!!!!! Or maybe your getting Neville mixed up with Carragher a right back who played the majority of the 00s as a centre half!!!!

Headshot wrote: »
    should be ashamed

not doing ye're jobs right at all

it just shows you.

we'll call him a prat, b*stard, w*nker, chant all the names under the sun and make the most derogatory remarks about him at times; then listen to him talk smack about Liverpool right back and rub it in our faces.

but it's amazing that there can still be that undercurrent of respect, even for Liverpool's Public Enemy No. 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

For me, Gary Neville stands head and shoulders mainly due to the size of his contribution in the entire decade as a whole.
    Finnan, Lauren, Johnson, Sagna and Corluka can come next but don't touch Gary Neville

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Apologies for the omission of Lauren. Pure fcuk up on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Degag wrote: »
    Stam, right back? Should have been on this list so?

Didnt actually ever play RB when he was in England. Only played there for Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Babbel?
    Richards?
    Johnson? (He's decent but hasn't made a big enough contribution yet.)

What kind of poll is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

How many seasons did Finnan play regularly at rb for Liverpool?

What did he win in that time for Liverpool?

OPENROAD wrote: »

5 years - 2003-2008.

Champions League and FA Cup.

he was as consistent as they come.

• Advertisement

he was regular RB for 3 or 4 seasons wasn't he? Also, he was excellent for Fulham before Liverpool signed him.

5 seasons for Liverpool and 2 seasons for Fulham

He won 1 FA Cup, 1 Charity Shield, 1 Champions League and 1 UEFA Super Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

super-rush wrote: »
    5 seasons for Liverpool and 2 seasons for Fulham

He won 1 FA Cup, 1 Charity Shield, 1 Champions League and 1 UEFA Super Cup

Did he play consistently for 5 seasons though? I thought he was injured initially and didn't play regularly until 2004/05 and fell, out of favour in his last season

No he played consistently for both Fulham and Liverpool. 217 apps for Liverpool & 208 for Fulham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

John O' Shea for me. Irish and a Man U player. Simple:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    John O' Shea for me. Irish and a Man U player. Simple:pac:

Best team made up of irish players to have played in the premiership this decade!

Perhaps we could bring back McGrath for one of the Centre Back roles :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Micah Richards, Markus Babbel 0% between them... sounds about right.

Surely Lauren should be there in the poll instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

No he didn't, he played for Arsenal and Pompey.:P

i presume that comment is made tongue in cheek!!

arsenal 03/04 were undoubtedly the team of the decade. (probably even the best english side of all time considering the achievement, but lets not open that debate now!)

point is lauren should be on that poll. and close to winning it too imho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

arsenal 03/04 were undoubtedly the team of the decade. (probably even the best english side of all time considering the achievement, but lets not open that debate now!)

undoubtably?

debateably would be the right choice of words

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

For me, the only reasonably candidates on the poll are Finnan and Neville, and personally it has to be Neville. Lauren should be in the poll as well, maybe Melchiot too? But that's all academic really.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

How can eagle eye, a guy whos usually a decent poster be so epically wrong here? Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

flahavaj wrote: »
    How can eagle eye, a guy whos usually a decent poster be so epically wrong here? Bizarre.
    It's actually ridiculous how wrong he is. Reminds me of the time I had an argument with my Dad about how long it would take by plane to get to Jamaica from London. He actually thought it was a one hour flight! I shit you not. The basis for his certainty on the subject was the fact he was friends with a Jamaican called Leroy back in the 70's.

Anyway looking at the list above you'd have to say it wasn't a vintage decade for right backs. No truly outstanding player there but of the choices available I'd have to give it to Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In fairness, and sorry if it has already been said, but Finnan had 2 or 3 great PL years with Fulham as well as Liverpool - his five years with Liverpool aren't the only basis on which he can be judged.

Voted the right back of the decade for Liverpool on the website too.

Voting over. Winner Gary Neville.

Left back voting on monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Just no. They lose this on points total alone, the fact that they never dominated for a sustained period of time greater than one year, never won a European Cup, I could go on and on........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also Preston might have something to say about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

SlickRic wrote: »

Given
    Neville
    Hyypia
    Ferdinand
    Cole
    Ronaldo
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Giggs
    Henry
    Shearer

Replace Ronaldo with Gerrard and put Scholes in Gerrards position would do me.

:pac:

Advertisement