Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visas Visas Visas

Options
  • 13-01-2010 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

I know how much we all love talking about visa's so ill try an keep it brief!

I applied for my 2nd yr visa well within my 1st yr, I stuffed up, and im nearly 100% sure i wont be granted a 2nd yr... ive come to terms with this. But its been draging on a while now and my 1st yr has expired and im now on a bridging visa, awaiting a decison.

I've been on the bridging since approx the 18th Dec. My question is when I get the refusal from immgration how long will they give me to leave, considering my initial visa has already expired, and a bridging technically only lasts unitll they make a final decison.

Anyone gone through this or know of someone who did? They usually give you 28 days to respond to their requests, so is it reasonble to assume they might give me 28 days to leave?

I would like to be able to serve out my notice in my job (or at least most of it) and give my housemates some amount of warning also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

"If you are refused a further visa, you must leave Australia before the expiry of your original visa."

That's a bit of a catch, and very unclear while you're on a bridging visa. Difficult to find anything relevant. It would probably be a lot easier to just call them and ask! I would imagine that you would be allowed a short time to organise yourself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Pretty sure you've got 28 days once their decision is made, which essentially would take you up until the 12th February if you include the 28 days on your bridging visa plus the 28 days once your visa is refused. I wouldn't be certain though. Your best bet would just be to give them a call and ask. I'm sure you can find that out without having to go into the details of your case with them if you just ask in a general way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Yeah I might well give them a call, if I can without giving them my details... bit freaked they'll tell me to get out with a weeks notice or so, the cost of a flight at such short notice would defo be a problem. In my mind that would be unreasonable, but I really dont think they'll care about what I think!

Cheers

Advertisement