Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage broker question

Options
  • 13-01-2010 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I got a mortgage out with permanent tsb via a broker in 2007. i was told recently by the same broker if i sold my house within a 5 year period permanent tsb can get back their fees they paid the broker in turn the broker can then pass on their fees charges on to me.
    question is has anyone who had a loan on a house and sold it within 5 years had the broker charged them these fees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I know that some lenders do clawback commission paid to brokers if the mortgage is paid back within 5 years - but unless the broker put it in writing to you that you would be liable to pay a penalty to him - I would not pay him anything. Tell him to take you to court - he won't have chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don't imagine that the broker can do anything if you move your mortgage . . .

I will stand corrected but if the broker works off commission from Mortgage Lenders, then they cant just turn around and charge you because you decide to move mortgages . . They should clarify from the start the fee involved in setting up the Mortgage . .

If you are talking to them again about this I would mention the Financial ombudsman and see how they react . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Andymfinancial

The broker can only apply a fee if it stated this in his Terms of Business Letter that should have been issued to you at the point of sale, you can ask him for a copy as it has to be retained on his file. The broker is responsible for explaining this to you. It is true that the broker has to pay back the commission, i'm not sure about 5yrs, i thought it was only 3 with PTSB.

Advertisement