Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We should have mad more of the BBQ during the big freeze!

• 13-01-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine said that she remembers the big freeze in 1963 and her father used to fill an aluminium bucket with coals from a dying fire and place it strategically outside the kitchen wall where he knew the mains water was entering the house. The heat from the coals kept the mains pipe warm and functioning.

So I am thinking would it be a good idea to place a lighted BBQ(totally supervised of course) a safe distance and yet near enough to keep the mains from freezing up?You could cook the odd steak or burger at the same time!

I suppose the small patio heater would do the same job! How safe would it be?

Just a thought.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Heat rises. Combined with wind. I reckon to use the phrase your peeing in the wind.

ps: Patio heaters used on a normal bases are the biggest waste of energy ever. Used to heat the ground... I am laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

How do you know where the pipe could potentially freeze? There may be many points along a service pipe where an ice plug could form, due to lack of ground cover, saturated soil etc. It's a nice, quaint idea but I don't think it would offer any real benefit or protection from freezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Heat rises. Combined with wind. I reckon to use the phrase your peeing in the wind.

ps: Patio heaters used on a normal bases are the biggest waste of energy ever. Used to heat the ground... I am laughing.

I noticed that during the big freeze there was not wind......well if a bucket filled with burning coals worked back in 1963 I'll be the person that used this method was also laughing!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Petrol is good. you lace the area where you think the burst pipe might be and light it... *

* Be sure no animals, children, combustable materials are near by. Also watch out that you don't burn your eyebrows off. Dont do this on tarmac or it will be a real mess, concrete should be OK though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

suitseir wrote: »
    I noticed that during the big freeze there was not wind......well if a bucket filled with burning coals worked back in 1963 I'll be the person that used this method was also laughing!:)

a bucket of coals on the ground is a lit different than a bbq. By your theory the heat produced by the bbq will heat the ground. If that was the case it would also burn the wood on the side of the bbq and the plastic wheels.

Do you really want to force a mad idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement