Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

tunguska wrote: »
    On the day might jump in with you two boys myself for a while, if you dont mind.

The more the merrier, sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Well done Abhainn on the last 2 weeks off training, some good solid runs there, I envy you. I might join you on the marathon, if I make it too the start line. I have had a sh1t last 2 weeks, my itb was causing me to have terrible pain in my left knee, did'nt finish 2 key sessions. Then last tuesday got the flu have'nt run since, maybe its a blessing in disguise as my knee pain seems to be gone, hope to get out tommorow. Just one thing though, I would'nt chase the pace early on in the marathon, you should just cruise the first 10miles. Hope to see you at the start line.

Thats a bit of a bummer heffsarmy. You never know the rest may have been a blessing for you. Will be watching out for you.
    On the day might jump in with you two boys myself for a while, if you dont mind.

Good stuff tunguska. What time are you chasing? You did well last year, was it a 2:45 you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Abhainn wrote: »

Good stuff tunguska. What time are you chasing? You did well last year, was it a 2:45 you got?

Yeah 2:45 last year so aiming to better that this year. Dont really know what to expect to be honest, bit of a dip in form ever since the end of August that I havent been able to fully shake. Maybe its a touch of Alberto Salazar syndrome. Anyway I'll beat 2:45, no doubt, but after that who knows, sure we'll see how she goes on the day.
    By the way, Im not sure what you look like but theres a guy I see running in tymon park the odd time and Ive got a feeling its you. Could be wrong though. Where you there monday at about 1:30ish wearing an orange t-shirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Maybe its a touch of Alberto Salazar syndrome. Anyway

Salazar overcame his bad form by taking Prozac. Now Tunguska I'm not saying anything but ................. :D

Salazar overcame his bad form by taking Prozac. Now Tunguska I'm not saying anything but ................. :D

Do you know what the sad thing about that is? I had actually considered it as a possibilty......... His lungs were shot aswell, only operating on 60% of their capacity. I think it was EIA.

• Advertisement

By the way, Im not sure what you look like but theres a guy I see running in tymon park the odd time and Ive got a feeling its you. Could be wrong though. Where you there monday at about 1:30ish wearing an orange t-shirt?

Ya that was me. Was it you I say hi to just past the council office in Tymon? You were in all in black.
    I'm am somewhere Tymon most days at that time. Not there till Fri next now. Will be on the look out boss

Week ending 17th Oct

The left Achilles was tender and somewhat stiff all week, it wasn’t sore and luckily it didn’t affect me in any of the sessions

Mon:
    4.5 mile run at 07:15 pace. HR 124
    Beautiful day.
    Legs felt ok today after weekend session.

Tues:
    7.1 miles at 06:49 pace. HR132
    Lovely run, felt very good. Hopping along.

Wed:
    In UK for two days, not really rest and working my bollix off.

Thurs
    Was in bed a bit before 12 but that was a late night for me. Struggled out of bed and just managed 5 miles around the village of Botley before 7am. No breeze and air was full of carbon monoxide
    Not very nice
    5 miles at 7:00 pace. HR 134

Fri:
    6 miles at 06:33 pace. HR 135.
    This was a fairly good run. I missed a planned interval session on Wed so this was a sort of a progressive run but good and lively and relatively happy with it.

Sat:
    8.7 miles at overall 06:18 pace. HR 148
    Session was 2 miles at 06:55 pace then 6.7 at 06:07 pace. This didn’t feel necessarily easy but felt better as session progressed.

Sun:

13 miles at 06:44. HR 138
    Last medium run. Nothing special apart from the glorious day

Weekly miles = 44.3

Summary:

That’s it. ! Another marathon preparation over.!
    My form is good and there is every reason to be confident on the day. Hopefully conditions are favourable and I have enough left in the tank for a good assault at my PB after this long year.

Summary:
    That’s it. ! Another marathon preparation over.!
    My form is good and there is every reason to be confident on the day. Hopefully conditions are favourable and I have enough left in the tank for a good assault at my PB after this long year.

Whats the plan for this week?

Whats the plan for this week?

Another busy week ahead with work, will be in UK for 2 days but something like this:

Mon – rest
    Tues – 6 miles steady
    Wed - 6 miles with 2 at MP
    Thurs – Rest
    Fri – 6 miles with strides
    Sat – rest
    Sun – 3 miles with strides

What about yourself?

Another busy week ahead with work, will be in UK for 2 days but something like this:

Mon – rest
    Tues – 6 miles steady
    Wed - 6 miles with 2 at MP
    Thurs – Rest
    Fri – 6 miles with strides
    Sat – rest
    Sun – 3 miles with strides

What about yourself?

Monday - 5 miles easy

Tuesday - Decided in a moment of madness to cycle the DCM route for a bit of recon. Was meant to do this weeks ago but didnt get around to it. Didnt think it would take anything out of me but Im bolloxed. Was good though, learned a lot and took some good notes(I'll post a course breakdown on the DCM thread).

Wednesday - Was meant to be:
    3 miles easy + 4 x 1200 @ T-pace(5:40) + 3 miles easy.......but after today gonna have to take a rest day.

Thursday: 5 miles easy + 6 x 200s (+ some yoga to stretch things out a bit)
    Friday: 5 miles easy

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: 5 miles easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck on Monday Abhainn! You have a textbook approach completed again so every faith

Week ending 24th Oct
    3 rest days this week and I feel so guilty. The usual pre marathon phantom niggles are present but so what
    No fear of insufficient carb loading either.

Mon:
    Rest. First Monday’s rest in a long time.

Tues:
    6 miles at 06:42 pace. HR136
    Nice run.

Wed: Evening 6 miler run in Hamshire UK. Bloody freezing so had to keep the pace up.
    Planning for 4@ <7min /mile and 2 @ mp. It turned out a good bit faster than that and first 3 at 6:31 and last 3 @ 6:07. This felt good
    Summary : Pace 06:20 . HR 141

Thurs:
    Rest

Fri:
    6 miles at 06:42 pace..
    Some strides thrown into this. Ok of a run but nothing marvellous.

Sat:
    Rest.
    This is getting silly now. But feeling fresh starting a marathon is better than tired from over training

Expo looked good today. I was alerted to as a fair photo of myself in the race history part of the expo.My little girl was impressed:)

Sun:
    Planning 3 / 4 miles with some strides

Sub 2:45 here we come;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck on Monday,Abhainn...no doubt a good result lies ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Some decent running in that there taper week. Best of luck Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Best of luck monday. The 3 of ye will have yere own private race.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

thats some taper week ! Weather looks great so sub 2:45 is in the bag.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck on Monday Abhainn. I'll say best of luck to the others users of this log also....Tunguska & Heffsarmy. Rooting for all 3 of ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Best of luck Abhainn, looking forward to this report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Best of luck Abhainn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Abhainn,

Best of luck tomorrow. Your report from last year was epic, looking forward to this one.

Good luck to tunguska and heffsarmy too, I wouldn't mind being in your gang (if I could keep up!)

I'll be at the 6 mile mark, so I'll give you all a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best wishes Joe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck tomorrow Joe. You'll nail it, no doubt about it. Can't wait to read your report.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck Joe another notch on the belt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Fantastic stuff today. Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Bravo Joe. Awesome result.

Cheers boys. It was interesting today and I am quite proud of my 2:41:10 today. I intend to throw up a report tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Cheers boys. It was interesting today and I am quite proud of my 2:41:10 today. I intend to throw up a report tomorrow

Great running again Joe...really great running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done Abhainn!

Now you need to change the log title to "Raising the bar a lot"!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Abhainn it was pleasure to the first 6 miles with you , well deservered pb :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Abhainn it was pleasure to the first 6 miles with you , well deservered pb :)

Fair play to both of you. Great running.

Advertisement