Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats Joe. Super running. Again. Incredible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Well done Joe, that was great stuff yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done joe.....will be expectin a name where the number goes next year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

ultraman1 wrote: »

Damn straight, given your learning curve probably points to a sub 2 hour marathon next year. Great time, well deserved, you're an inspiration (and not just to Krusty;)). I've run out of superlatives, except to request you don't plan any marathons that coincide with the 2011 Wicklow Way Relay:D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

Well done on a brilliant run and on good progress from last year.

That was me at the top of Roebuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

I was so pleased for you reading your name in this morning`s Indo!!
    Looking forward to the race report - You were 10th place in your category I think!! I was 9th in mine :P:p- Fantastic result!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

ultraman1 wrote: »

At first I didn't know what you meant, I'll be close to the M40 next year, do allow no's and names on those?

Damn straight, given your learning curve probably points to a sub 2 hour marathon next year. Great time, well deserved, you're an inspiration (and not just to Krusty;)). I've run out of superlatives, except to request you don't plan any marathons that coincide with the 2011 Wicklow Way Relay:D

I needed to keep a good gap between KC and me:)
    Wicklow Way? If you can guarantee a flat road section:D
    Husavik wrote: »
    Well done on a brilliant run and on good progress from last year.

That was me at the top of Roebuck.

Thanks Husavik. That roar you gave me was fecking mega. I didn't look back after that

Dublin Marathon 2010 Report
    Training summary – marathon no. 9

It was mid August before I concentrated on my last A race of the year. The triathlons were over and it was time to crack on with what I am best at –running marathons
    It left me with 9 weeks to prepare excluding taper. I didn’t or don’t follow any training plan specifically for my marathons but my version would be loosely based on Hal Higdon advanced program. The plan I followed was slightly more than the previous year.
    The weekends were really when the hard stuff was done, with back-to-back hard days. Marathon pace runs or races on Saturday and long run on Sunday. I didn’t do any hill reps, my long run are not flat and the hills in these work. I don’t include doubles or mid week medium runs. I keep mileage low, as I don’t think I can do loads of miles, as injury would be a problem.
    If I had a free physio then that might not be an issue.

Summary:

Long runs = 18, 20.7, 20.7, 21.7, 22.2,20.
    I was very happy with the long runs. Average pace worked out at 06:50 in first long run, down to 06:43 for the last. All were well within the aerobic zone (Z3)
    Pace runs = 4. Built up from 5.7 to 12.7 miles
    The first pace run of 5,7 miles was all over the place. Pace was 06:08 but this was faster than planned and it was real hard.
    After I completed the 3 races the pace run became easier and controlled
    Races = 3 in 3 weeks. (Used these as VO2 / Tempo sessions)
    1. 10K Adamstown in 36:03. Conditions difficult.
    2. Half in the Park. 1:16:58. New PB. Happy with this.
    3. 10K The Lakes. 35:04 New PB. The third race in 14 days meant that I couldn’t push on 3k from home.
    Speed / Intervals sessions = 3.
    Weekly mileage = 52, 53, 59, 50, 45, 57, 63,56,44

Diet and Stuff
    My diet is fairly healthy. Don’t do takeaways (Chinese, Indian’s, Thai’s) as Sarah is a great cook on all those fronts. I have sweet tooth especially for chocolate biscuits but only in the evenings.
    Wine and some good quality beer at weekends (at home). I definitely could reduce this though but this affected no session
    Rarely go to the pub these days.
    Weight is over a kilo down on last year at 73.8k which is a little higher than wished. I think something closer to 70kg would be closer to race weight.

Before the Race
    The day before I didn’t feel great. I went for a 3.5mile run and felt tired and sluggish. When I awoke the morning of the race I wanted to turn over and go back to sleep. My head ached a bit and I thought, “ This may not be a great day”
    It certainly woke me when I saw the temperature reading of 0.5C outside from my wireless thermometer.

Race plan & strategy
    I was confident of a sub 2:44:59 if I held it together on the day. Actually one second over that and I would not be happy. I was intending to keep the miles in 06:10-06:15 range
    Unlike last year when I decided to run with the leading Irish ladies I didn’t know of any that may be targeting that time (I was very wrong).
    I broke up the race into 3 sections, first 10 miles not faster than 61:40, next 10 at 62min and work the last 10k.
    Heffsarmy and Tunguska were looking at low 2:40’s so we sort of decided to work together pace for a while.

Race:
    The Dublin marathon 2009 was my easiest marathon, everything basically ran like clock work. The 2010 race was a very different experience.
    It was like GroundHog Day, for the 3rd year in a row I was parked up on Mount St by 7:30am.
    Just after 8:15 I headed to the start, and found a position right at the top of the field. I spotted Heffo and his intentions were to go sub 2:40. He wanted to go out easy and pick up the pace later, so that was ok for me for now. I never met Tunguska but I had an idea of him from my runs in Tymon park.
    Starting just behind the elite we set off. Heffo with his garmin was the pace maker and checked me a few times in the first 2 miles, as I was a bit keen on the pedal.
    It was cold but we were clipping along trying to get into a rhythm. The pace was slightly quicker than planned at sub 2:40 but I wasn’t settling in, as I would have liked. If by mile 5 if I were still feeling the same then Heffo would have to head off on his own. He was getting great support from the Donore AC supporters.
    We had a bit of a laugh when we passed by where his mother in law was shouting support. I was getting the odd yell thankfully too. Mile 5 was 05:48 and I was the one now checking the pace. However just before 6 miles I told the dude to head on. My HR was just a little too high and I still wasn’t relaxed.
    Heffo moved very gradually ahead. I felt a bit mixed up now. I didn’t want to be running alone but I perked up shortly after and relaxed into my running for a while.
    Actually the next 3 miles were probably the quickest of the race. The course is fast on the Glen road and soon I am among many runners. Just before the Chapelizord gate I’m surprised to spot Barbara Sanchez just ahead. I hear myself say “she going far too quick” she disappears around the gate and I never see her again. What a time of 2:39 she posted.
    I take my first gel at 8 miles. Onwards and I am running alone mostly. The miles are going by quickly thankfully but I don’t feel great but HR is low and stable.
    At 10 miles I am about 1 minute up on my target time. Split here is 60:46.
    I look forward to half way where I will pick up some gels from a colleague. The drag up Crumlin is noticeable and I get chatting for a couple of mins to a chap from Wexford hoping to dip under 2:40. I am working now just a little more than I would like but still the HR is ok
    At Walkinstown roundabout I somehow miss my gel pick up. I have two gels left so I will need to pick one up before the end. My pace is still averaging around 6:10 and I want the next water stop to come quick. I need a gel and I want the KCR turn now and mile 15 and the water station And it came nottoo soon. As I round onto Templeogue road with more than 10 miles left I wonder how I going to keep this engine running.
    Just then Tunguska flies by me. He must have just filled up his engine cause he seemed to be on a mission. Somehow the sugar kicked in and I gather myself. With Tunguska a bit ahead I find myself relaxed again. The pace is still good as I gradually close up on the due in black. Just after the 30k marker we are running side by side and seem to be working together. I take another gel and the pace is good. I go through a slight worrying phase just before 20 miles as Tunguska has gone ahead again. But my immediate aim is to get over the hill at Roebuck rd. The crowd there is great as I can sense the finish, last hill gone. I grab another gel at mile 21, consume half of it and cruise down the Stillorgan road and Nutley lane overtaking quite a few. I am feeling very strong now with no pain. As I head down Merrion rd I know with less than 20 mins of running left I am over the worst. At 24 miles I take half gel again as I continue to target runners ahead. The last 2 miles are not pain free but I keep the pace up. As I run by TCD there are no silly dances to the crowd to take my mind off the pain like the year before. At National gallery I spot my clan and blow kisses. I am one happy chappy as I run onto the blue matting come under that great clock with 2:41 on it.

Time 2:41:11. HR 165
    What a great feeling. I thought a 2:41 was beyond my reach. 6.5 mins PB equates to 1 mile better than last year. And my HR was also lower than 2009.
    I learned a lot about myself during this race. There were a number of times I was wondering if the rails were coming off, if I could carry on. The mind is some thing else though.

Well done Heffsarmy. Absolutely smashing run. Tunguska if it wasn’t you flying by at mile 15.5 I might not have made it home. Fine PB by you too.

Afterwards I recovered very quickly. It was good to meet up with Jaymack 75for a few pints. He managed a great PB of 2:55 for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Awesome stuff Abhainn. A real inspiration. I cant get my head around the amount of hard running you pack into your weekends.
    If you could get a clear period of injury free high mileage do you think 2:3* is on the cards? It must be a temptation now? Or do you have to wait a few days before you'll say it out loud ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Great report. I like the breakdown of training.

"6.5 minute PB or 1 mile up on last year", that's a great way to put it. Sometimes when we say I knocked X minutes off my PB we never realise how significant it actually is. 3-4% improvement in a year is great going. Well done again

• Advertisement

dermCu wrote: »
    Awesome stuff Abhainn. A real inspiration. I cant get my head around the amount of hard running you pack into your weekends.
    If you could get a clear period of injury free high mileage do you think 2:3* is on the cards? It must be a temptation now? Or do you have to wait a few days before you'll say it out loud ;)

Ta dermCu
    I introduced the weekend back to back sessions in prep for Berlin in 2008.
    Since then for each marathon PB attempt I have increased the intensity just a little from the previous.
    2:3X? Yes definately. But I wouldn't change much. Temptation would be to crack this in London next April. But I'm planning on doing IMUK next year and I couldn't commit to a PB attempt and training for IM at the same time.

Great report. I like the breakdown of training.

"6.5 minute PB or 1 mile up on last year", that's a great way to put it. Sometimes when we say I knocked X minutes off my PB we never realise how significant it actually is. 3-4% improvement in a year is great going. Well done again

Cheers. Nice target for you to aim for:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Abhainn wrote: »
    Well done Heffsarmy. Absolutely smashing run. Tunguska if it wasn’t you flying by at mile 15.5 I might not have made it home. Fine PB by you too.

Believe it or not that was nearly at the 18mile point when I met up with you. 15.5 wouldve been before we even got to Busy park!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Great report Joe, you definetly have a sub 2.35 in you, who is too say actully you could probably go alot quicker down the line. It will be great to see how you get on in IMUK, you will eat up the competitors on the marathon section. good luck with your goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Brilliant stuff Abhainn, I enjoyed that read.

I really can't get my head around those paces. Its unreal. Then when I think about the winning paces.........how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

But I'm planning on doing IMUK next year and I couldn't commit to a PB attempt and training for IM at the same time.

Great running and all the best for IMUK...no chance you were going to pick an "easy" IM, eh?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Great report Joe, you definetly have a sub 2.35 in you, who is too say actully you could probably go alot quicker down the line. It will be great to see how you get on in IMUK, you will eat up the competitors on the marathon section. good luck with your goals.

I've no doubt you'll go much faster...I expect definitely sub 2:30, stick at it and I wonder what you'll run in 2-3 years time. You're young in running terms.

@heffsarmy - I posted before I thought you'll go sub 2:30 handy....you're still on a steep improvement curve, I've a suspicion you might be the Irish steve way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Deadly Joe, just deadly. Thanks for the great report on how the magic happens. I've a lot of work to do, just to get near your shadow. :)

Cheers. Nice target for you to aim for:)

Is that a challenge ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Savage stuff Joe and a mighty well done. Your progression from your 3:20 goal a couple of years ago is phenomenal. With good pacing and nutrition you will be damn close to 3 hours off the bike. It will be interesting to see if you can out split Tunney off the bike ;) All the best for the IMUK journey. Hope you plan to keep a log because the way you do things I've no doubt you will smash that too!

Have you done an IM before and if so what's your best time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

fantastic stuff off the back of only 9 weeks specific marathon training , still probably lots of room to improve on that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Its great to read another opus from you Joe with a brilliant ending to some terrific training. Hats off to you.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I hope the log has helped some of you
    Brilliant stuff Abhainn, I enjoyed that read.

I really can't get my head around those paces. Its unreal. Then when I think about the winning paces.........how?

Only a little over a year ago I thought a 2:55 PB (06:40 /pace) would be my limit and like you I couldn't even begin to think a low 6's would ever be possible. Maybe 6:00 / mile is a good target. I am a firm believer in taking small steps and achievable goals. If you can combine that with consistancy and dedication to training and avoid injury improvement should come
    Izoard wrote: »
    Great running and all the best for IMUK...no chance you were going to pick an "easy" IM, eh?:)

IM UK ticks the majority of boxes, one of the main ones only been 15 miles from the OH's parents house and it easy to get to from here.
    Yes the bike course is a bitch but I hope to do a recce or two before August. I have no excuses with the Wickla mts on my doorstep for those easy training rides:)
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    I've no doubt you'll go much faster...I expect definitely sub 2:30, stick at it and I wonder what you'll run in 2-3 years time. You're young in running terms.

A 2:39 would be great someday:)

Is that a challenge ? ;)

Yep
    Savage stuff Joe and a mighty well done. Your progression from your 3:20 goal a couple of years ago is phenomenal. With good pacing and nutrition you will be damn close to 3 hours off the bike. It will be interesting to see if you can out split Tunney off the bike ;) All the best for the IMUK journey. Hope you plan to keep a log because the way you do things I've no doubt you will smash that too!

I totally forgot about my original 3:20 target in DM 2007. Wow great memory there man.
    Yes controlling the bike will be key alright
    I think Tunney has learned alot about his Austrian IM run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I hope the log has helped some of you

Only a little over a year ago I thought a 2:55 PB (06:40 /pace) would be my limit and like you I couldn't even begin to think a low 6's would ever be possible. Maybe 6:00 / mile is a good target. I am a firm believer in taking small steps and achievable goals. If you can combine that with consistancy and dedication to training and avoid injury improvement should come
    Abhainn,

Congratulations again on a terrific run and a great report - the training summary is particularly helpful. I was looking out for you near the 10k mark - you probably went by too fast for my tired old eyes!

I think you're 100% correct about the small steps - I think I over-reached slightly this summer and paid the price. I also lean towards intensity over volume, I think the injury risk is less.

I like the sound of that 6 min/mile target - as crazy as it might sound for a decrepit old man. My first race in '08 was the docklands 8k at 6:37 per mile, now I can run a marathon at that pace. And since I can now run 8k well under 6 min/mile, I've begun to think "how far can I go at that pace..."

While you're trying to stay ahead of Krusty, I'm trying to catch him!

Like many on here, I'll be looking to your log for more inspiration. I'k looking forward to reading about the next big milestone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭El Director

Congrats Abhainn, what a terrific time. A great report also, it's accounts like yours that make me feel I'm missing out so......me thinks I gotta do it next year now.

Also looking forward to your IMUK log.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Your progression from your 3:20 goal a couple of years ago is phenomenal.

hard to believe you once had a goal of 3:20! i havent been on boards that long but since i have you have been knocking up some good times mate!
    keep it up, well done....

Have you done an IM before and if so what's your best time?

Virgin at IM distance, but have done the half distance this year in 5hr 04
    aero2k wrote: »
    Abhainn,

Congratulations again on a terrific run and a great report - the training summary is particularly helpful. I was looking out for you near the 10k mark - you probably went by too fast for my tired old eyes!

I think you're 100% correct about the small steps - I think I over-reached slightly this summer and paid the price. I also lean towards intensity over volume, I think the injury risk is less.

I like the sound of that 6 min/mile target - as crazy as it might sound for a decrepit old man. My first race in '08 was the docklands 8k at 6:37 per mile, now I can run a marathon at that pace. And since I can now run 8k well under 6 min/mile, I've begun to think "how far can I go at that pace..."

While you're trying to stay ahead of Krusty, I'm trying to catch him!

Like many on here, I'll be looking to your log for more inspiration. I'k looking forward to reading about the next big milestone!

I was expecting a shout from you at 6 miles alright.
    Keep up the good work. You fairly move for an old man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

I was expecting a shout from you at 6 miles alright.
    Keep up the good work. You fairly move for an old man ;)
    And even older as of this week...

If memory serves, it's your birthday today, so I beat you by two days - the only time I've managed to be ahead of you all year!

Happy birthday, hope you'll be having a few well-deserved beers tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Just getting to read the report now - wow, just wow.
    As some just said there - you will eat the field in therun section of the IM.

• Advertisement

Time to get back into it

After exactly two weeks rest I had my first run on Monday. It felt great to be back. Physically I needed the break but mentally it was needed also.
    It gave me a chance to think things over for 2011 and set some challenging goals. `
    I’m turning the big 4 0 in 2011. Still in my prime though:)

2011 Primary goals:

A: Compete in IM UK.
    Not the most glamorous IM event but it ticks more boxes for me than say any of the Europeans ones. The bike course is a bit of a bitch but at least the swim is in a reservoir
    I have loosely set a target time. For me it is not just good enough to compete an IM. I need to chase a realistic but respectable time also. This will keep my motivation up.

B: Sub 2:40 marathon
    I think I can improve from my 2:41 recently. Ideally the London marathon in April would be the place to do this but I need to be fully focused when chasing this kind of a time and I don’t think I could do this with the IM stuff. However I still plan to run well there.
    Sometimes I do wonder what is the best time I could run the marathon. If I joined a club and was totally committed to it say for 6-9 months could I get into the low 2:30’s?

Training:
    From now until July my preparation will be based around the IM. I have no great plan or detail as yet though. But I will be using Don Finks “Be Iron Fit” as my guide come the spring.
    However I am not going to rush mad into things like 10+ sessions a week starting from now.
    I am going to tick over until mid –end Dec or so and build things up after that.

i) From now until end Dec. I intend to have a number of weeks with 4 runs and 2 bikes completed. Weekend run up to 14 miles and bike around 60 –70k. One turbo also during the week. Nothing too hard though.
    ii) From Jan – end March I hope to add group swim sessions. Swimming is my weakest of the 3 disciplines and I am not looking forward to it. I should focus on this now and with great effort maybe finish top 20-25% on the day but I will be happy with mid table really.
    I will also increase long bikes and long runs a little.
    iii) Post London April will be when the real effort is put in.

Equipment:
    Two items of importance.
    I need to get my hands on a Tacx Flow T1680 turbo real soon. Anyone got one in good nick they wish to let go for a reasonable sum?
    I need to upgrade my bike too. I think a road bike with clip on bars instead of a TT bike is the way I’ll go.
    I would be interested on suggestions from any IManers out there, and what machines you might recommend.

Log:
    I don’t intend on keeping the log too detailed for now.

Feedback most welcome though

Advertisement