Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

best of luck sunday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Have a great run and enjoy the craic afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Go for it Joe, no better man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Have a good race Joe see you in the pub after. I hope to be about 20-30 mins behind you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Thanks for all the good wishes .
    Going by some of the comments you'd think I was going over for the craic and pints and not the matter of the 26.2 miles :rolleyes:;)

catweazle wrote: »
    Good luck Joe, does tri season start up for you after this race?

That's the plan catweazle, I'll be taking her handy for a few months :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Best of luck Sunday, Abhainn. Your log has certainly shown the rest of us how to train - if there's any justice you'll be coming home triumphant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Go reap the rewards of your training. Good luck - though you're unlikely to need it.
    Abhainn wrote: »
    ... you'd think I was going over for the craic ...

...and indeed, so you are :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Have a great race Abhainn.

And I'm sure the craic will be ninety, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

Best of luck Joe,

Looking forward to another great performance and race report.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Joe, expecting a cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Joe over the line in 2:43:33 - solid run looked pretty warm out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

Great run Joe, well done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mildly impressed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Split|time|diff
    5K|00:18:41|18:41
    10K|00:37:26|18:45
    15K|00:56:24|18:58
    20K|01:15:26|19:02
    HALF|01:19:34|04:08
    25k|01:34:25|14:51
    30K|01:53:58|19:33
    35K|02:13:56|19:58
    40K|02:34:31|20:35
    Finish|02:43:33|09:02

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great splits, great time Joe, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Good Man Joe - now get cracking on those bad tanlines :D;):D

Thanks folks for keeping me in mind. Happy with my performance in the conditions. I learnt even more about myself today. Marathons are great and also brutal. Will throw up the report in a day or two. I'm not finished with this
    fantastic marathon race yet
    Great splits, great time Joe, well done.

Spilts were as planned to 25k. Then to 42k can be well improved
    Mildly impressed. :pac:
    Ya I know where you are coming from. Can you be my coach?
    Magnet wrote: »
    Good Man Joe - now get cracking on those bad tanlines :D;):D

Ha ha you still remember;)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

I don't believe it but there is a picture of both of us in full race mode with the London Eye in the background. (That is you isnt it??)
    I pulled a minute back on you from halfway then you put 40 seconds on me in the last 1.5 miles!!!!! :eek: Ya big animal. :)

If I'd known it was you........nah I still wouldnt have been able to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done Joe - 2:43 spring marathon, off up and down training. Looking good for the rest of the year!

• Advertisement

dermCu wrote: »
    I don't believe it but there is a picture of both of us in full race mode with the London Eye in the background. (That is you isnt it??)
    I pulled a minute back on you from halfway then you put 40 seconds on me in the last 1.5 miles!!!!! :eek: Ya big animal. :)

If I'd known it was you........nah I still wouldnt have been able to do anything about it.

That my man is definately me. I remember your vest as I have one similar and I noted that when I passed you .
    No wonder I didn't spot a navy one at the start.
    Was that at about 25 miles?

Ya I agree, I wouldn't mind getting rid of more weight , 2kg would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Abhainn wrote: »
    Ya I agree, I wouldn't mind getting rid of more weight , 2kg would be great
    Ha ha, I think you are taking that a bit too literally. I wasn't referring to weight at all !! It was supposed to be a compliment. Maybe its a West of Ireland thing as being called a 'big animal' over there is high praise.

We all want to lose a bit of weight, myself included, but you look lean enough to me.

London Marathon Race Report

Days before race
    Last week wasn’t ideal preparation for a big race.
    There was a lot of stuff was happening with work and home. I was more than a little stressed. I didn’t get to think much of the task ahead.
    The whole family had planned to go to London on Friday to my sisters and her gang. But on Thursday evening it was apparent that Nicole was coming down with chicken pox. On Friday morning she was totally covered in the spots. There was no way she could travel.
    There were a lot of very upset kiddies and adults both sides of the Irish sea. With a very heavy heart I was to travel on my own. It was while on the plane I promised myself I would run this race to the best of my ability for my little girl.

I arrived ok and even though I had a relaxing evening I slept badly on Friday night.

I did the Expo on Saturday and that was good. Was lucky enough to witness a very good Paul Radcliff interview while there.

To Race start
    I slept poorly again Sat night and felt wrecked when I arose at 06:30am. I felt somewhat better after the two strong espressos though. I got a lift to Blackheath and arrived at the red start Good for Age area. I had loads of time to chill and get prepared.
    As I lined a few rows from the front of the start I re thought my plan for the race.
    My aim was to go out on 2:39 pace i.e. 06:05 / mile or just under 19min for the each 5k and try and hold it for as longs I could. The second part of the plan was to get pulled round by the “Chap in the White Knee high socks” who, I knew was also aiming for sub 2:40. Thanks MCOS
    Stepping Up
    However I didn’t him anywhere. I looked around also for Dermu but couldn’t spot his “navy “ vest anywhere.
    Even though it was dead calm and overcast I knew there would be heat in this day.

Race
    When the gun went I ensured I just went out steady. I monitored my pace on my Garmin on my left wrist and tried to keep the pace around 6 min / mile. My left wrist had my Polar so I that would record my 5k splits and HR. I kept my pace steady and gradually passed by runners. The leaders weren’t too far ahead when we intercepted with the other starts close to mile 3. Like DermCu I was surprised at seeing the amount of runners. Our start must have been delayed slightly.
    The early miles flashed by, I was surprised but happy. I kept an eye out for the Chap in the White Knee high socks but for now there are still masses of runners. There was no missing each mile markers as they as huge as the Dublin marathon finishing line.
    The 5k mark was met in 18:41 which was perhaps 10 secs faster than I wished. I decided to bag those seconds and try and slowly reduce the pace. The next 5k was only slightly slower as the sun started to shine. Right from mile 2 I took on water. Only a mouth full or two and even threw some over the back of my neck.
    Around mile 8 I encountered the Chap in the White Knee high socks (Matt). I ran along side and reviewed his cadence that was similar to mine. Good stuff. I didn’t say anything but stayed close as a group seems to be forming. I assumed this was a sub 2:40 goal group.
    Perhaps at mile 10 I started to work harder than I wished. My HR was getting close to 90%, which was too high too early. I needed to cool down more. Each water station was 1-2 miles apart which was great so I continued to take on more water and start throwing more over my head and also my legs.
    I tracked the blue line on the road. Soon after I turned to Matt and say “Matt Molloy, Stepping Up”? He responded positively though we didn’t communicate any further.
    My legs noticed the little climb onto London Bridge, which was thronged with people with so much noise my head hurts. Soon after the half- way point was met at 1:19:34 –right on target. But I knew deep down there would be no sub 2:40 today. It would be a long second half.
    Matt and I didn’t run side by side but on occasions he moved ahead and I catch him and then I move ahead. Mile 19 was tough and looking at data now I see there was a noticeable gain elevation there, which explains the slow split. As the sun got warmer I was just wishing the miles away. Then Matt fell behind.

My pace gradually got slower and it was though my quads could barely lift my legs. Matt then overtook me and I tried to keep up. I managed just that and moved ahead not knowing how managed to do it.
    From 35k I just wanted to stop, just for a minute. The thought entered my head many times till the finish. But I knew if I did stop I would be letting my little girl down. I could never do that.

And so I counted down the last 3.22 miles in 1/10’s mile. I was been passed by a few but I was also overtaking many also. Even though my pace had slowed it was still well under 7min miles.
    Eventually I entered mile 26 and met some friends that were 600m from the finish line. Soon after I turned onto the mall I put the foot down and thoroughly enjoyed the last couple 100 yards.
    Thankfully for my little girl I didn’t stop.

I’ll be back…

Time 2:43:33. HR 169. Position 232nd

Where did my sub 2:40 fall down?

· Conditions - 9C, calm, heavy drizzle would have been ideal.
    · Speed work - I knew I was under prepared regarding speed work.
    · Another race - I also would have liked a 10 miler or half marathon under my belt.
    · All the family not been there
    · Less stress in the final week

Final Thoughts on the Race
    The London marathon is a magnificent event. Organisation, hydration , fuelling stations are exceptional. There was even showers at the end which I gladly used.
    The support on the course was loud, very loud second only to Berlin
    The Expo is good and the goodie bag even included a can of London Pride beer, which was different.
    The only poor item was the T Shirt, which came a in one size only i.e seemed to be a larger size than large.
    A definite must for marathon lovers.

Split|time|diff|HR
    5K|00:18:41|18:41|158
    10K|00:37:26|18:45|163
    15K|00:56:24|18:58|166
    20K|01:15:26|19:02|169
    HALF|01:19:34|04:08
    25k|01:34:25|14:51|171
    30K|01:53:58|19:33|171
    35K|02:13:56|19:58|173
    40K|02:34:31|20:35|175
    Finish|02:43:33|09:02|178

Garmin Summary , ignore from mile 27 , I sseem not to have stopped it at the end
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/80178330

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Great report Joe, looked tough on TV but super running and most importantly you seemed to have enjoyed it. I thought you had bad luck training wise since the turn of the year and when you get a good run of luck you will hammer sub 2.40. Hope to see you at a race soon.
    Dave

Great report Joe, looked tough on TV but super running and most importantly you seemed to have enjoyed it. I thought you had bad luck training wise since the turn of the year and when you get a good run of luck you will hammer sub 2.40. Hope to see you at a race soon.
    Dave

Thanks Dave.
    The odd thing about it that when I knew the PB was gone at around 18 miles I was then thinking ahead to the next attempt at it. Sucker or what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good report/race joe, the weather conditions made it tough going towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great run and report! Well done

Been away from here a little while so just a quick update:

Arragh I’ve been doing a bit I suppose. I took a few days rest after London and then started into the Tri training program, which has been going fairly well.
    Last no of weeks I’ve been getting 9 sessions per week done.

The swimming is better than last year and I’m getting close to 2min / 100m for 2km straight in the pool which is good for me. By this evening I’ll have had a couple of OW session done.
    The bike hasn’t been very pleasant during May. F.. me I never seen so much wind in these parts before. So average speed is down for any rides but turbo has been encouraging
    The runs well are ok. Did one decent brick to date and the legs loved it

So my plan ? Well Tri Burgh standard is the immediate fixture and on this weekend. And it was sold out but I managed to get into it, thankfully.
    The main aim this summer is Swinford Humber half in July. I’m hoping a sub 5 can be achieved. I may do Tri Athlone too.

Next weekend is the little matter of the Wicklow way relay again and the chance to defend the title from last year. The legs will get a pounding, can't wait:)

My main aim for 2011 is sub 2:40 marathon probably in Dublin again. I may be teaming up with a couple others in the club who have this similar goal so hopefully we can get there.

That’s it for now

Quick update Tri Burgh:

Finished in 2:37. Good enough for 13th individual

Results has me down as 2:47 with a 46min swim :eek:. Swim was tough but I was not that slow.
    Think I won the run leg

Full report later

• Advertisement

Tri Burgh Race Report
    This was my first tri of the year. I enjoyed the inaugural Tri Burgh in 2010. Overall it was well run then and there were some things to improve on from that first year so I expected a well-run event this time. Hmmmm …well I won’t go into that now

Swim:
    I was looking forward to the swim, which is very unlike me. I did a nice 1250m OW in Wicklow harbour on Wed eve in sub 24 so things were looking up. It was dead calm though unlike the Atlantic ocean that Sat morning. The swim was an out and back 750 meters. I had hoped for a sub 30, ya.
    We could barley see the one distance buoy from the beach. To make matters worse there was a nasty drift from right to left. The sprint race that had gone off 10 mins prior to us were having difficulties.
    It was a beach race start at the gun. It was a struggle early as the unkind sea made breathing and rhythm difficult. The buoy was impossible to see so I aimed for some distance Mayo mountain range for sighting. Eventually I turned and checked my time, which was 19:30. The return was somewhat easier apart from the worsening numb pain from down the inside of my left leg from my groin. It must have happened at the swim run start trying to run through the waves. In the end I couldn’t move my legs and feet and just swam arms only for the 300m or so. I was contemplating my first DNF
    Eventually I found beach and later found out I was perhaps 48th out of the 100 starters. Still poor enough but groin was ok by some miracle.
    Time 36:50. HR 130.
    2010 19:10 (short 1k est. and calm) HR149.
    T1 was slowish in 1:49, bloody suit got caught on my left ankle.
    Bike:
    The 41k bike is over classic undulating bumpy roads. I was only a few minutes in when I said to my self “Fcuk me I forgot how bumpy these friggin roads were”
    And that’s the way is was. At least the scenery was enjoyable. I went out steady overtaking about 10 to the turn down in Doo Lough lake. I counted I was about 38th then but there were a sizable amount of cyclists only just ahead. The return up the valley was great. Steady she goes I overtook perhaps 10-12 on the steepest section, and left them behind. Onwards and at 31k the course turns back along 2 lane road to Louisburgh into a nasty stiff headwind. I just counted down the last k’s relieved not having punctured. Into T2 in about 23rd position with only one cyclist overtaking me on this section.
    Bike summary:
    Time: 1:20:46, HR 149. 16th best.
    2010 : 1:20:43 HR 156.

Run:
    I faffed a bit with my laces in T2 and again I wasn’t quick. My feet were somewhat numb and fingers also. My bro handed me my Garmin excited and eventually I managed to press start.
    The first 2.5km are a leg tester as I cull 3 bucks in the first 500 meters. My aim is to overtake 10 and hopefully get close to last years finish position of 14th. But my back is killing me. Idiot me didn’t do much stretching in the last bike click. The pain persists but I motor on. The good thing about 10k is that its over fairly quick. I keep the pace steady and the only real drag after this was at 5- 6k. The runners are few and far between but by 7k I spot 3 more ahead in the distance ahead. That’s enough for me and it wasn’t long before they were set aside. I finish up with a nice strong finish.
    Run summary:
    Time: 36:22 (9.5km) HR 163. Run position 1st.
    2010: 37:24 (9.7km) HR 166.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90446661

Overall: 2:37:15. HR148. Position 13th

2010. 2:20:11. HR158. Position 14th

Summary:
    Yes happy enough. Pity the swim was unkind. My overall effort as given in HR figure is lower than 2010 so the engine is burning fuel more efficiency. Perhaps I should have given the bike more, yes I think I could have given the bike well more.
    As for the overall Tri Burgh event organisation etc , somewhat disappointing, not much was learned from 2010.

I was a late entry and the time on the website was 10mins slower i.e. for the swim. It seems my timing chip was enabled at the sprint start which set off 10mins earlier

Advertisement