Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's a super run leg, off the back of two hours of exercise, and great to see the lower HR too. Did those stolen 10 minutes make any difference to your finish position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

That is great running as a stand alone 10k time but with a 1.5km swim/41km before it makes it even more impressive. Good racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done Joe, that's a great performance. I'd love to match that 10k time - without the swim / bike "warm-up"!

I just had another look at your report for London - I'm still trying to do a post-mortem on Edinburgh. Your points about too much stress in the lead-up and insufficient speed work might be relevant for me too.

What's up next for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

That's a super run leg, off the back of two hours of exercise, and great to see the lower HR too. Did those stolen 10 minutes make any difference to your finish position?

Well provisional results has me at 24th. I've alerted those of their error
    aero2k wrote: »
    Well done Joe, that's a great performance. I'd love to match that 10k time - without the swim / bike "warm-up"!

I just had another look at your report for London - I'm still trying to do a post-mortem on Edinburgh. Your points about too much stress in the lead-up and insufficient speed work might be relevant for me too.

What's up next for you?

Sean Ya I hardly had the perfect prep for London. And some perfomances you just have to leave behind and forget about. Don't dwell

Lovely leg 2 of the Wicklow relay race on Sat early am.
    Thinking about Dunshaughlin 10k on the 25th and then hopefully Tri Athlone
    2nd July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

Abhainn wrote: »
    Sean Ya I hardly had the perfect prep for London. And some perfomances you just have to leave behind and forget about. Don't dwell

Lovely leg 2 of the Wicklow relay race on Sat early am.
    Thinking about Dunshaughlin 10k on the 25th and then hopefully Tri Athlone
    2nd July
    Good advice Joe. I read a quote recently along the lines of "don't bring the past with you, unless you're going to build on it". I'm happy I did the best I could in the circumstances, I just want to go quicker next time!

You'll love Dunshaughlin. It's undulating with one decent drag around 8k. Made for a strong runner like yourself.

• Advertisement

Wicklow Way relay leg 2 race report
    Leg Curtlestown to Lough Tay

This was my second years representing the Boards A team - Bulletin Boards. With early start I met up Slogger Jogger at the finish of leg 2 at Lough Tay at 7am bells. We ditched one of the cars and headed to the leg 2 start. A number of familiar faces greeted us there. With near perfect weather conditions I was sort of looking forward to the challenge ahead. The competition been very hot this year meant the pressure was on. I had to give it the best I could. The Chief had me down for 73min. I had to try and do better than that, I should be able to do just that if all went well.
    I had a reasonable week workouts behind me and there were no apparent effects of the triathlon the previous Sat either. However I noticed at the end of an early 5mile easy run in Southampton on Fri my avg HR was way higher than normal.
    Before I knew it I was off with leg 1 runner Kevin Keane running well, we were in third. But I was only seconds ahead of 4th position runner “All the Presidents Men –John Mc Enright” who I later learned was a experienced mountain runner. My plan was not to go off too hard over the first 4k but that was easier planned than done. Went through 1k in 3:38 and soon after let the above overtake me. I knew the pain ahead.
    The underfoot conditions were good and I had no grip problems with my recently washed decommissioned road shoes. John Mc En slowly widened the gap between us especially on the early downhill parts. I was careful not to miss my steps. The first 4km’s are fast well under 4min / km pace. The climbing starts and by start of 6km my HR is already in the red zone and my legs are starting to burn. This shouldn’t be so. The gap between me and 3rd ahead is perhaps 25 secs and stable. As I turn to view Powerscourt waterfall my back then starts to give major bother. I take a short walking break hoping that the achy ness will subside. This is way to early to take a walking break and big time annoys me “I must keep “ forward momentum” I hear my self mutter , thanks Slogger Jogger .
    And the constant back pain and walking breaks continued right up beyond the base of Djouce at around 12k. Now and again I toke a few glances behind me and seen a runner behind making some progress into the gap. 3rd place was in view but perhaps 2 mins now ahead. When I reach the boards section I find a second wind and my legs again. The downhill section is fast and all I want now is finish faster than the year and did that but just by 40 secs. There, Suzanne is hopping like mad as we touch hands and leg 3 commences.

Time 72:56. 14.8km. HR avg 165, MAX 177

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/91527160

I did the best I could. Yes I wish it I did a little better but I dug deep and finished well. Our team did fantastic. Every one ran out of their skins. Second position was deserved over 3rd . I should have found another 9 seconds

Today my legs certainly feel the effects of yesterday and my back is very sore. I hope to go for a recovery swim in the cold sea in a bit if I’m able

Might try and update this more often

Sunday PM
    Intended OW didn’t happen. The harbour waters were too nasty and that excuse was very sufficient for me thankfully.
    Anyways my back was still in bits.

Monday
    Lunch:
    Easy 7.1 mile around Tymon park at 07:18 pace. HR 132
    For once an enjoyable run. The quads were sore and heavy still from Sat. Great respect to those guys who race up and down mts week in week out
    Evening:
    OW swim 1.9k in Wicklow harbour in 39:36. HR 121
    Well garmin says 1.9k and the resulting map seems to be show that distance is valid enough. 3 laps of the boats in murky waters
    Had to stop a few times as the bloody goggles kept steaming up.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92218961

Tues: Am
    1 hr turbo. Distance 30.8km Watts 204, CAD 88
    I was stuck to the bed when the alarm went off before 6am. I almost didn’t rise . I thought about rescheduling this to the evening but that wasn’t possible and anyway a run interval session planned on Wed lunch wouldn’t give me sufficient recovery time that I would like.
    Turbo was set up in the front of the garage as I always do these sessions. And the house surroundings been private means I could go topless when I wanted.:)
    Legs were still heavy so I wasn't going to go too hard in this. By 40 mins in I was turning the pedals easy. Threw in a 4 x 5mins at about 230- 240w in this.
    Beautiful morning. I was buzzing when I had finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Might try and update this more often

Please do I enjoy reading this log. Fair play to some great recent performances, just catching up now

Please do I enjoy reading this log. Fair play to some great recent performances, just catching up now

Anything for you love ;)

Wed am pool swim
    Swimming Backwards
    I started back in the pool at end April and after 6 sessions I was hitting 5:05/250m average for 2k straight that wasn’t bad. I corrected a couple of technical errors since then but this morning I was hitting 05:22 /250m for the 2k straight, which is utter crap. Don’t know maybe I was fresher in early May.

Wed lunch - Run intervals
    I work close to a fine athletics track. I pass it sometimes 3 times a day. Only twice in the last year have I ever seen it runners on it. The clubhouse is always locked too. The fencing protecting it is perhaps 3 meter high all round. An utter sin this isn’t opened to the public even for a fee.
    I was wrecked all morning; young lad loves waking up at night. I threw a few espressos and coffees into me, I hate intervals if they are not on the track
    The loop is 510-520meters and 150m is on grass. Aiming to do these at 95 of better. Did 8 with 75secs or 200m recoveries. Averaged 93. Fooked at the end. Still felt a little of the hills in my legs towards the end. I reckon this session would have equated to 11 x 400m on the track. Would be nice to get it up to 10 reps at same pace.

Summary 11k. HR max 176.

Thurs:
    Rest:

Got my GFA 2012 London marathon application through so next April looks sorted

I also got a GFA for London so might be joining you on the starting line. That's assuming my wife doesn't kill me when I tell her I've entered "another" marathon.

You should get onto ecoli about that track! I have been removed from it a number of times in the past and had serious words with one official one night when he insisted on standing in lane 1 to stop my session. At that time it was a gravel track and no fences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I work close to a fine athletics track. I pass it sometimes 3 times a day. Only twice in the last year have I ever seen it runners on it. The clubhouse is always locked too. The fencing protecting it is perhaps 3 meter high all round. An utter sin this isn’t opened to the public even for a fee.

If its the track I think you're talking about then you should drop into the clubhouse and have a chat with the lads, Im sure you could work something out, I know others who have.
    It does have to be kept closed off though because many is the day Ive been up there and if we even leave the gate open for a few minutes all manner of undesireables(with no interest in training or running) jump on and cause trouble.

I see you're ranked 329th in the world at the 50k distance! Pity you didn't try a little harder in Donadea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

tunguska wrote: »
    If its the track I think you're talking about then you should drop into the clubhouse and have a chat with the lads, Im sure you could work something out, I know others who have.
    It does have to be kept closed off though because many is the day Ive been up there and if we even leave the gate open for a few minutes all manner of undesireables(with no interest in training or running) jump on and cause trouble.

is this the TIT IT Tallaght track? Hopefully not because I am moving southside and was hoping to be able to use that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's a shame clubs don't offer their tracks for a small fee to non-club members. Could turn out being a great source of extra income if they did.

tunguska wrote: »

I never seen the clubhouse open. Perhaps it is after 5pm each day
    Regarding the "undesireables" I understand where your coming from alright
    is this the TIT IT Tallaght track? Hopefully not because I am moving southside and was hoping to be able to use that

Its on the same grounds as Westpark Fitness Gym
    It's a shame clubs don't offer their tracks for a small fee to non-club members. Could turn out being a great source of extra income if they did.

Charlesland track in Greystones is on the grounds of Jackie Skelly so a similar set up as above. They charge €2 if the track is not booked at time

I see you're ranked 329th in the world at the 50k distance! Pity you didn't try a little harder in Donadea. :D

For a training that wasn't too bad I suppose. ;)Next year Ill try harder

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Most tracks are open to the public. Our Crusaders Irishtown track is run by DCC, we just have priority access at certain times (and free entrance) whereas the public pay a nominal fee.

Same for Charlesland where I often train on the way home, I'm sure you'll find this is the case in most places. Athletics clubs are some of the most non-exclusive units around. Nothing we like better than seeing a new runner walk on the track up in our own club...

Fri lunch run Tymon Park
    6 miles at 06:55 / mile pace. HR 135
    I normally like running in the rain. There is just something about it. However this was just miserable and got very wet like torrential wet. Soaked

Fri evening OW Wicklow Harbour

1.93k in 35:56. HR120
    With regard to precision and accuracy I am a bit of an anorak. So I was happy and a bit relieved that my 3 lap swim of the harbour was almost exactly the same as Mondays measurement. 1.93km v 1.94km. on the Garmin. I swam well in this one and felt comfortable apart from left hamstring cramp right at the end. It was tender for two days after
    Multiply this session time by 2 and one would have a very respectable IM swim time.

Sat: Long Bike
    I wanted to get out early so as to avoid the expected showers and breeze later. I was gone before 8am and headed out on the N11 to Kilmac and back up that nice 4km climb up towards Roundwood and continued on towards Laragh, Rathdrum and back to Coynes Cross and home. Its been ages since I got a long ride like this I and I felt good all through. I managed to get over the 30kph average for the trip so that was good.
    Summary: 91.5km at 30.1kph. HR 132

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93250333

Sunday: Longish Run
    I was almost forced to eat a sausage sandwich as it was specially made for me been Fathers Day. I knew that was not ideal but I aimed for 14 miles at 7min / mile pace so I hoped it wouldn’t be too much of a discomfort during the run
    All was grand until mile 8 when I had to pull over for a call of nature. Not sure if it was the sausage sandwich but it also could have been the few cobra I had the night before too
    After that I threw in the last 5@ 06:30 as the legs felt good and it just felt right

Summary. 14.02 @ 06:46 / mile. HR 142
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93354811

it also could have been the few cobra I had the night before too

You cannot beat an ice cold cobra beer, perfect choice. Good work on Sat/Sun on the long bike and LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Have you really pulled out of IMUK? ;)

• Advertisement

Have you really pulled out of IMUK? ;)

Yourself and Jackyback put me off it with all the great work you 2 are doing:)
    Couldn't commit to the time needed to give the race a good shot and respect it requires.

Week so far

Monday lunch recovery run Tymon Park
    6 miles at 07:12 / mile pace. HR 132
    Legs stiff, what a wuss.

Mon evening OW swim Wicklow Harbour
    1.91k in 38:20. HR120
    Depressing evening with crap weather. Water continues to almost freeze my face for the first couple 100 meters.
    A bit tired in this one

Tues: AM
    An AM turbo was planned, up with the young lad lat night and frigged at 6am. Back to bed

Lunch 7.1 miles run Tymon Park
    Legs stale, very humid not great from for running

Evening
    PM Turbo. 50min. Watts 202. Cad 86. Distance 25.4km. HR 121
    Wanted to spin the legs out and by the finish felt I cheated as it didn’t feel hard enough. But medium bike planned for Wed.

Wed pm
    Evening Bike 55km. HR 128. 30.5kph
    Just an N11 bike out towards Bray and return.
    Started a family of venison at the Glen of the Downs and they in turn more than startled me.

Thurs:
    Rest.

Fri am OW swim
    It been a beautiful morning so instead of the pool I decided on the sea. Have been intending to do an early morning OW swim for a while and I think it’ll be a while again before I attempt it. The sun was low and there was a terrible glare on the water, sighting was very difficult and I was all over the place.
    Summary:
    Distance 1.4k
    Time: 30:20
    HR 109 (seems very low but I was taking it easy, hardly worth the effort?)

Fri lunch run Tymon Park
    6 miles at 06:44 / mile pace. HR 138
    I included 5 x 50 secs at about 05:30 / pace (5k) in this to sharpen the legs up before Dunshaughlin 10 k tomorrow night
    Grand outing.

4 weeks to Humbert Half Challenge

The date is rapidly approaching for my main triathlon target of the summer. It is a busy time in the lead up.

Dunshaughlin 10k
    I did the hilly Wicklow 10k back at the end March in 35:43. Id like to be bettering so I‘ll be attempting to get as close to 34:59 tomorrow. I will set off at that pace and see how far I can hold it. PB is 35:04

Tri Athlone Standard Distance 2nd July
    I wanted another warm up race prior to Humbert. I hope its not a cattle mart though.

3rd July Hols 10 days
    Red eye flight to Cyprus via Manchester.
    This isn’t ideal as it messes my bike up for that time.
    Ok there will be a number of early morning runs around the hilly villages in south Cyrus and swims at Curium. Hoping the heat of recent days goes away by then. I arrive back with 10 days to get a few bikes in

End July – Oct 31

13 weeks for Dublin marathon prep. This will be giving me 4 more than the 2010 preparation (a 2:41 finish) and 7 more than 2009 (a 2:47 finish).
    Travelling with work could upset things though.

Have you looked at renting a bike in Cyprus? If you are concerned about lack of bike work when you are way you could probably get a few spins in.

Have you looked at renting a bike in Cyprus? If you are concerned about lack of bike work when you are way you could probably get a few spins in.

Sure have. No much luck yet. I've been out there in March and April. Lots of cyclists everywhere doing warm weather training.

No races either. Everything seems to stop from mid June untill end Sept

Not going to try and defend your title in Cyprus? :)

Not going to try and defend your title in Cyprus? :)

I let a Hungarian buck take the title this year;) 2012 ? you never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Fri lunch run Tymon Park
    6 miles at 06:44 / mile pace. HR 138
    I included 5 x 50 secs at about 05:30 / pace (5k) in this to sharpen the legs up before Dunshaughlin 10 k tomorrow night
    Grand outing.

If ya ever fancy some company I do most of my running in Tymon. Drop me a PM if you interested usually Around most days bar session days (Wednesday and Sat)

Dunshaughlin 10k race

I’m not a great fan of evening races. Waiting round all day for a race to happen really isn’t ideal. So Sat was spent doing frig all trying not to expend do much energy.
    In hindsight I was better off been more active. I felt stale and lethargic all day.

The purpose of this run was to see where I was in terms of what I had lost since London and what I needed to make up between now and Oct

3 of us from the club headed on this warm evening. Conditions felt a bit fresher than in Wicklow though during the warm up I did heat up a bit.
    The start was a little bit of a mess; there were too many slow runners at the front so for the first km I was lucky to stay afoot. I resorted to the footpath until just before the first km. I knew the first 5k were quick so I purposely tried to be conservative at slightly under 3:30/km pace for that period. I went through 1km according to the road marker in 3:17 but the Gamin some seconds later displayed 3:31, which was confusing.
    However the pace felt like an effort and I was red lining already. At 2k I was settling in (03:21) and a group of 8 including the leading lady had formed. By 3k (03:35) I made that fatal error. I decided to push on as I was fearing the pace was slowing up too much. I was soon on my own and hit 5k in 17:24 which was bang on target but I was feeling like ****e. (03:27 for 4k 03:46 for 5k WHF?). Soon after the half way point Tunguska came along side “Lets get moving Joe”. I did just that but knew the second half as going to be torture. 6k in 03:22 but I slowed on that first little hill to 03:40. My mind was not accepting the pain; my legs were heavy and not responding as I struggles up that long drag at 7.5km.
    I could hear runners closing up and was passed by 4 or so of the original 8-person group as we summited this small hill. (03:55).
    There was a nice quick section immediately after and my legs started to turn over better but I was also counting down the last 6 minutes of this agony. By 9km (03:36) I could hear shouts for the leading lady closing on me from behind. Sorry but no way I was I going to be overtaken by her and thankfully I found an extra gear I thought I didn’t have and managed to hold onto some little pride knowing that I had given this all I had on the night.
    Finish time 35:39
    HR 175, MAX 185

Apart from the start this was a fine race. Definitely a nice fast course for fresh legs. Met many at the end and over coffee and there was as much food as one could eat.

And what did this race tell me? Very much to do
    I wasn’t up to much when I got home, not even for a refreshing Cobra and went straight to bed physically not feeling very well.

As bad as you felt at least you didn't get chicked! One of my first priorities whenever I line up for a race.

• Advertisement

Sun AM: Long Bike 93k
    This bike took in Roundwood and then south via Laragh. Rathdrum , Avoca Arklow and some surrounding area’s. The fresh southerly breeze was noticeable in places but overall not bad.
    Legs felt surprisingly good but did notice some aches on the hillier sections. Warm out there. Drank all 1.5 liters of water and could have done with more
    Satisfied with this one.
    Summary: 93k at 29.5kph. HR127

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/94921332

Monday lunch recovery run Tymon Park
    6 miles at 07:12 / mile pace. HR 129
    I was tired but this was an enjoyable recovery

Mon evening OW Wicklow Harbour
    1.94k in 41:20. HR119
    3 laps of my favourite harbour. Water for once did not freeze my face. Place full of wet suits and youngings jumping off the piers.
    No energy in this one, felt tired, arms sore.

Tues: Lunch 11.5km around south Dublin
    Pace 04:08km. HR140
    Route was south Dublin for a change and picked up the pace for this slightly.

Advertisement