Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Superb running Abhainn, and great report. Looking forward to reading about the next race, which is...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Superb running Abhainn, and great report. Looking forward to reading about the next race, which is...?

Cheers KC.
    Next up is Cyprus Marathon on March 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Abhainn,

Terrific time in the 10 - do you have a target for Cyprus, or at least one you're willing to publish?
    I'll be doing 26.2 on the same day and I expect to beat your time comfortably - km FTW! (doing the kilomathon from Nottingham to Derby)

Looking forward to your race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Congratulations on your pb, you predictated my time very well, will be using you instead of mcmillan for my future races ;)

aero2k wrote: »
    Hi Abhainn,

Terrific time in the 10 - do you have a target for Cyprus, or at least one you're willing to publish?

Aero2k aiming for around 2:50 but if it means I need to go quicker to win it then I'm up for that challenge.

• Advertisement

Week ending 7th February 10

Mon: Sort of Recovery run.
    6 miles at 07:15 pace. HR 131.
    This was an easy and fairly comfortable outing after yesterday’s efforts.

Tues:
    7.1 miles at 07:01 pace. HR 136.
    Breeze didn't make this very nice. Comfortable run though.

Wed: MP run
    8.1 miles at 06:27 pace. HR 151
    Didn't want to push the effort too much on this run, so planned on 06:45 /mile pace. Did 1st in 06:55, 2nd & 3rd in 06:35. Gradually increased the pace to finish with the last at 06:01. Good session and legs felt strong throughout

Thurs:
    7.1miles at 06:59 pace. HR 137
    Good run. Again legs feel lively and strong. Form is good this week

Fri: Rest

Sat:
    22.3 miles at 06:56 pace. HR 147
    First 10 miles were at a steady 07:05 / mile. Next 2 big hills were quick and solid at same pace and tough but not as bad as 4 weeks ago when I first tackled them.
    Pace increased over last 8 miles (average 06:42) which wasn’t planned but took in the easiest of last hard climbs.

Sun:
    20.5 miles 06:57 pace. HR 143
    My legs were tight in first mile due to DOMs. I am useless at stretching and should have spent more than my usual 3 or 4 mins after yesterdays outing. Took in similar route to yesterday minus the 2 hard climbs.
    Anyway even though I could feel yesterday’s miles in my legs the first 10 miles were very manageable at 07:04 pace.
    The last climb 4 miles from home was a little testing but I powered on. The last 9 were @ 06:47 average.
    Solid outing and HR was satisfyingly low.

Weekly miles total = 72.1

Plan for the next 3 weeks.
    Right now I wish the Ultra was in 3 weeks! instead of 9 which seems like forever! I am very encouraged by my back to back weekend long runs. In 3 weeks time I will commence my 2-week taper for the Cyprus marathon. My original 3-week plan to then is below but the last thing now would be to over train and get injured. I think I would if I were to follow this.

Week 5 - Long runs of 22 & 22.
    Week 4 - Long runs of 20 & 20
    Week 3 – MP of 11 and 22 long.
    Week 2 & 1 - Taper

Truth of the matter I don’t think I can face back to back 22 milers next weekend, body and mind wise that is.
    I might change it to:

Week 5 - Long runs of 18 & 18.
    Week 4 - Long runs of 22 & 22
    Week 3 – MP of 11 and 21 long.
    Week 2 & 1 - Taper

Any advise??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Abhainn,

I'm not sure my advice is worth much to someone who's so much faster than me, but here goes:

I try to avoid hard workouts on successive days. This is partly to avoid injury, and also to ensure I can train harder by being well rested. (I understand you're training for an ultra so that may mean you need to train yourself to run long when tired) Rather than cutting back the length of both runs, how about doing a 22 and a 15 or something like that?

I had a fairly short taper for DCM '09 and I found it worked well. For Edinburgh in May I'm planning to cut back on the mileage over the last three weeks, but still keep the intensity high, except for the last week where I might just so a few short, fast intervals on the Wednesday before.

Tergat has some stuff on tapering for marathons, it's worth a look.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

The back to back doubles seem to be really working for you abhainn,i have never tried it ( i might try one w/e of them in my next marathon prep ),but if your not 100% with it for next week,dont do it...and who knows you could be out doing the 18 you have planned and decide to do the 22 after all...that happens to me quite a bit ( not 18 to 22,but maybe planned 8 and end up doind 12 or more )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hats off to you and your back to back long runs. I've never done it but for me the temptation would always be to have to run either of the days slower. Great discipline.

aero2k wrote: »
    Hi Abhainn,

I'm not sure my advice is worth much to someone who's so much faster than me, but here goes:

I try to avoid hard workouts on successive days. This is partly to avoid injury, and also to ensure I can train harder by being well rested. (I understand you're training for an ultra so that may mean you need to train yourself to run long when tired) Rather than cutting back the length of both runs, how about doing a 22 and a 15 or something like that?

Ta aero2k. A 22 and 15 sounds more appealing alright. That will keep me ticking over before the last push the week after.
    And your corrrect on your other point I would always avoid hard workouts on successive days.

Hats off to you and your back to back long runs. I've never done it but for me the temptation would always be to have to run either of the days slower. Great discipline.

SJ the plan was to run the second long run slower but I felt good.

• Advertisement

Week ending 14th February 10

Mon: Recovery run.
    6 miles at 07:24 pace. HR 129
    I was aiming for 07:30 pace for this recovery. Both of my calves were tight which is unusual so I was glad for once of the slower pace.

Tues: Steady Run
    7.1 miles at 07:03 pace. HR 136.
    The calves were still tight so I was not going to push this early. After mile 1 I got into a good stride and felt good thereafter.

Wed: Mile Intervals
    8.1miles total in 51:48. HR 152
    4 x 1 mile interval session at goal around 05:40 pace (10K). This was the first interval session since Jan 20.
    I know I may have said this before, but I dread these intervals. Yes this is a tough session and all week coming up to “its always on my mind” (hmmm… Pet Shop Boys, I must resurrect their Pop Art album again)
    But what ever it is I think this is a great session to improve stamina especially if you keep the recovery miles at a decent clip.

Splits were 5 secs on average faster than last time:
    1. 05:40,
    2. 05:27,
    3. 05:38
    4. 05:38

"Recovery" miles were 07:10 average.
    Sadly this will be the last mile interval session for a while. I will probably replace these with some ½ mile intervals from next week along my usual route. I would prefer to do those on a track though. .

Thurs:
    8.1miles at 06:58 pace. HR 136
    Calves still a small bit tight. But not a bad run overall.

Sat: Last Long fast one!
    22.3 miles at 06:57 pace. HR 147
    Sometimes after a rest day I feel stale and sluggish. This was one of those days. But I told myself to keep this easier than last week. Yes the first 10 miles slightly slower at 07:07 / mile but my HR still seemed to be a bit higher than I expected.
    Last 12.3 over my favourite climbs averaged below 06:50 and last few were fast. No more, speedy long runs!

Sun:
    16.7 miles 07:00 pace. HR 138
    Took aero2K advice and shortened back my 2nd long run of the week. Started off slightly slower than yesterday’s run and plan was to keep max HR under 150BPM.
    Legs were sore basically all through run but they did not fail. First 8 at 07:10 pace and return 8.7 at 06:53. Miles home are easier though gradient wise.
    The 40 miles total - not bad for the weekend.

Weekly miles total = 69.3

Critical week ahead, light at the end of the tunnel.
    All last week my legs were aching. I have been neglecting stretching and not getting enough sleep. I need to sort this now.
    The week ahead is the last tough one and will see me touch 74 miles, which will be the most run in this plan. The 2 x 22 milers at the weekend won’t be at 7min / miles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Abhainn wrote: »

All last week my legs were aching. I have been neglecting stretching and not getting enough sleep. I need to sort this now.

Know how this feels lately. Have you tried rolling the calves out? I got a loan of a foam roller until my ordered one arrives. Rolling the calves over it brought hope ho sore the muscles actually were. Another solid week Abhainn. Just curious what your max heart rate is? Mad how you tip along at 'recovery' 7:10 pace and 129 hr or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Abhainn those back to back long runs you are doing are savage, you must be strong as an ox, how do you fuel your long runs?

Know how this feels lately. Have you tried rolling the calves out? I got a loan of a foam roller until my ordered one arrives. Rolling the calves over it brought hope ho sore the muscles actually were. Another solid week Abhainn. Just curious what your max heart rate is? Mad how you tip along at 'recovery' 7:10 pace and 129 hr or thereabouts

Good one boss. I have a small roller at home somewhere.
    I'm estimating HR MAX is 188. It reached 185 in a couple of race occasions. Resting HR is around 42.
    Planning to get VO2 max testing done.
    heffsarmy wrote: »
    Abhainn those back to back long runs you are doing are savage, you must be strong as an ox, how do you fuel your long runs?

No fuel on run heff. I just use breakfast as fuel.
    Breakfast is usually 1 weetabix and 2 brown toast maybe with jam or peanut butter, most times without either. And mug of strong coffee
    Sometimes I subsitute weetabix with porraige and coffee, no toast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running Abhainn. Like a metronome with those mile splits. A nice feeling to be approaching the home straight training wise.

That is some ferocious training Abhainn. Almost there.. Really looking forward to hearing your finishing time in Cyprus (and Connemara!). I reckon it'll be staggering.

That is some ferocious training Abhainn. Almost there.. Really looking forward to hearing your finishing time in Cyprus (and Connemara!). I reckon it'll be staggering.

Heh KC easy on the pressure there.
    Thankfully you'll be running in Barce a week before me so I'll be relying on your inspirational run to fire me up for Cyprus;)

A bit late I know but for those interested below is summary of sessions for 2009. Totals also include races:

Total Week avg. No of session Session avg
    Training sessions (Run, Bike ,Swim) 263 5.1
    Duration (hh:mm) 298:20 05:44
    Calories (kcal) 229691 4417.1

Runs 1777.6 miles 34.2 miles 204 8.7 miles
    Bike 1965 km 36 54.5km
    Swim 52.5km 29 1.8km

Looking beyond this April and now with Sarah back at work in Dublin , it is going to be extremely difficult even to fit in 2 x swims and 2 x bikes every week.
    Young Sun arrived at a perfect time last year.

Heh KC easy on the pressure there.
    Thankfully you'll be running in Barce a week before me so I'll be relying on your inspirational run to fire me up for Cyprus;)
    Sorry, didn't mean to heap on any pressure, just amazed by those back to back long runs. I'll try not to dissapoint. Best to have have a back-up inspiration, just in case. :P

Week ending 21st February 10

Mon: Recovery run.
    6 miles at 07:21 pace. HR 129
    Calves and legs a bit sore. What else would you expect after running 40 miles at the weekend.
    Breeze not very nice but not too bad either.

Tues: Extra 25min snooze
    7.1 miles at 07:04 pace. HR 134.
    Got an extra 30mins sleep this morning. Didn’t bother getting up after alarm call.
    Felt fresher because of it. I also did more stretching yesterday and the feeling in the legs was much better than similar run last week.

Wed: 1/2 Mile Intervals
    8.1miles total in 52:30. HR 147. 06:28 / mile average.
    1 mile warm up then 7 x ½ mile intervals around my usual route with ½ mile recovery.
    The intervals averaged around 2:46 (5K pace) but the terrain and profile with some nasty hills was not ideal.
    The track is your only man for this kind of a workout. Satisfactory session I suppose.

Thurs: Enjoyable Run
    8.1miles at 06:58 pace. HR 135
    Aiming for around the same as last week and this was better. Engine continues to give more MPG and legs felt good . Nice run.

Sat: Session quality diminishing
    22.3 miles at 07:01 pace. HR 148
    Third Sat on exact same route, have enough of this now.
    First 10 miles were at 07:09 pace. But like last week the HR was higher than expected again.
    Also I found the climbs were harder than before I didn’t push the last 12.3 miles as I just wanted to keep legs turning over and this was no problem.
    The overall efficiency of this long run seems to be deteriorating. Body saying I’m tired?

Sun: Rewarding myself??
    22 miles at 07:11 pace. HR 138
    Facing into another 22 miler I reflected closely on yesterday’s performance. Immediately after yesterdays run the body felt tired, much more tired than previous weeks. I found myself lying on the bed for 5 minutes before family stuff had to be taken care of. But if I wasn’t cute I could risk getting injured or sick and that’s the last thing I want now with the Cyprus marathon just 3 weeks away.
    So I decided to try and enjoy:rolleyes: this last 22 miler of my plan by running the first 10 at around recovery pace (07:30 /mile) and then steady low 7’s after. With this promise made to myself I actually looked forward to the last long workout. There were no major climbs in this one just the “normal” hills
    The first 10 were relaxed as planned and HR was in low Z3 zone. Pace was 07:23 and legs were good. As I increased pace I wanted to keep in Z3 for duration and that was achieved until the last ½ mile.
    The legs were painful in the last 2 miles but happy the weeks efforts are over

Weekly miles total = 73.6

Next 3 weeks:
    The next 3 weeks is going to be similar to the last 3 weeks before the Dublin marathon. I am not running today but will get out for two good walks to aid recovery.
    The weekend will see a 10 or 11 MP run on Sat with a 20 miler on Sunday.
    The following 2 weeks will see a further reduction in miles but the same intensity will be maintained in the sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Another great week Abhainn,3 weeks to go now,so all the hard work is done.
    Your tough on yourself with those back to back long runs...but it serves you well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Incredible running Abhainn. I'd say I'll see you in Connemara but it'd be very brief if you continue at that pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

your a machine abhainn. not sure if you already wear them but highly recommend skins compression tights for help with recovery and for wearing on long runs. expensive but well worth it in my opinion. looking forward to seeing what time you knock out for cyprus. do you think the ultra training (i.e back to back long runs) will help you for the mara?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

kennyb3 wrote: »
    your a machine abhainn. not sure if you already wear them but highly recommend skins compression tights for help with recovery and for wearing on long runs. expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

+1 Had mine on all day yesterday.

your a machine abhainn. not sure if you already wear them but highly recommend skins compression tights for help with recovery and for wearing on long runs. expensive but well worth it in my opinion.
    Yes there on my list of items to get (if the corporate sponsorship promised comes through). Not sure what the OH will think of me wearing them around the place though.

looking forward to seeing what time you knock out for cyprus. do you think the ultra training (i.e back to back long runs) will help you for the mara?

kenny b I can safety say my legs will be well used to the pain expected at 23 miles. So I'm confident of getting over that.
    I just need to be careful of hydration in the 2nd half of the race. Hopefully they'll be a few runners around the same pace as me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

if the corporate sponsorship promised comes through.

you mean prize money from the cyprus race surely;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

always great to read your logs, Abhainn. Keeps me on the straight and narrow as I contemplate decent length back to back weekend long runs (longest so far were 21mile sat/10 mile sun and 12miles sat/16mile sun), for my 50 mile ultra attempt at end of May :eek:.

I reckon you could teach Dean Karnazes a thing or two at this stage.

Good luck with the prep for Cyprus.

you mean prize money from the cyprus race surely;)

Actually no. Sponsorship from my work, I need to give them a gentle reminder again
    Killerz wrote: »
    always great to read your logs, Abhainn. Keeps me on the straight and narrow as I contemplate decent length back to back weekend long runs (longest so far were 21mile sat/10 mile sun and 12miles sat/16mile sun), for my 50 mile ultra attempt at end of May :eek:.

I reckon you could teach Dean Karnazes a thing or two at this stage.

Good luck with the prep for Cyprus.

Cheers Killerz. Which ultra is that? You have plently of time left. You seem to be going about it the right way.

I'm kinda a fan of Dean but I more impressed with Marco Olmo

http://http://filmunpassodopolaltro.blogspot.com/

Fascinating story Abhainn. Did you see the documentary/film? is it worth picking up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Cheers Killerz. Which ultra is that? You have plently of time left. You seem to be going about it the right way.

I must look at that.... always into hearing about those kinda people.

Ultra is in Canada - 50 miles. Had originally signed up for Connemara Ultra, but moved to Canada, gonna give it a shot (end May):

http://www.burlingtonrunners.com/index.cfm?id=5711

Advertisement