Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the podium Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Weekly Summary 12/03/12

Mon – Evening - 9.8 mile run (06:44m/m) HR136
    Tue – AM 81KM bike and over Shay Elliot 26.8kph HR 128
    Wed – Early AM - 9.25 mile run (06:56m/m) HR132
    Thu – Early AM - 10.25 mile run (06:48m/m) HR133
    Fri – Early AM - 2.35k swim in 51:10
    - Evening 9.1 mile run (06:35m/m) with pick-ups. HR 137
    Sat – PM 12 miles with 5 x 1 mile intervals at LT pace Cruising Miles. Avg Pace 06:25. HR 147.
    Sun – AM. HR 141 22.2 miles @ (06:40m/m). HR 141

Totals:
    Run –72.5miles
    Bike – 81km
    Swim – 2.35km
    Total Time – 11hr 57 min.

Getting fitter
    There was no great springiness to my runs until Fri evening. That one felt good and I had to hold back. Even some 6:30 minute miles were hard to control.
    The Tues bike ride was supposed to be easy, flattish and relaxing with Dom. With wind picking up and rain imminent it was a case of rolling hills, back roads and then we decided to take on Shay Elliot. This was my first time over this famous climb and I really enjoyed it. The decent was a bit hairy due to visibility and some rain. The bike ended up just as the rain came down more heavily but the legs felt good. So it was not too much wonder why the early morning runs in the following 2 days weren’t too hot.
    The Fri am swim was a bit all over the shop. At 7am the congested lanes indicating that the tri season is fast approaching, and my swimming needs a lot of attention. By 8am the pool all quite again but best time for me to do these is early morning on opening.

I was unsure of the Sat run session but I knew I needed something testing. The night before I happened to be reading Cruise intervals by Daniels to improve LT (thanks Pre), so I decided on 5 x 1 mile with 2 mins easy (instead of Daniels 1 min) but recovery from no 3 and 4 was 1 min as I was feeling good. I aimed for 05:35-05:40 / mile pace over the un-flat roads. In the end I was happy at averaging just over 05:35/ mile. It seems these were my quickest mile intervals ever with the least recovery between them too. This confirms my aerobic fitness is still improving and probably the result of the half last week. It was a good sign when waiting for the satellite to lock on that my HR showed 43bpm. I would estimate my morning resting HR would be fewer than 40 now so I must check it sometime soon!
    I wasn’t really looking forward to the early Sunday long run. The evening before I double helpings of tasty curry and fine beers to wash it down at a local celebration. But the fine morning had me excited and by mile 4 the legs were up to operating temperature. I cheated slightly in this. I don’t carry water or gels anymore on these runs but since I had 2 bob on me I decided at mile 18 for some refueling in Ashford. I was just beginning to need water or something. Apologies to kids and gals, old and young ladies ;)- I had to go topless from their home as my left nipple was very raw. The sun was out it felt like summer so it didn’t seem all too terrible.
    So a little easier for the week ahead as I want to nail a good PB in the 5 miler on Sat. No long bike just a turbo, I can’t go long anyway this week due to stuff on. Probably my 2nd last 20 miler on Sunday as London draws closer and very quickly too.
    Weight is still edging down and now at 71.7kg which is more than 2kg under my lightest weight ever for a marathon. I’m almost within touching distance of 69.9kg (10st 13lbs 15oz) which would be my goal for Challenge Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Did a 20k fast run with has bazman and a couple of lads including the one who was 2nd in kinvara. We averaged 3.35 per k which given the bit of a hill and windin each of the 3 laps, was probably 2.30 marathon effort (3.33) all the way. Baz was holding back but I wasn't and Kevin stayed the pace. He reckons kinvara was running very slow indeed and in the form he is in compared with his time there I'd agree. I've noticed my half kicking in a little also. A little stronger and the comfort line at a slightly faster pace.

T runner wrote: »
    Did a 20k fast run with has bazman and a couple of lads including the one who was 2nd in kinvara. We averaged 3.35 per k which given the bit of a hill and windin each of the 3 laps, was probably 2.30 marathon effort (3.33) all the way. Baz was holding back but I wasn't and Kevin stayed the pace. He reckons kinvara was running very slow indeed and in the form he is in compared with his time there I'd agree. I've noticed my half kicking in a little also. A little stronger and the comfort line at a slightly faster pace.

That was a very decent MP run then. Nice to be paced along by Bazman. You still doing Tubbercurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Abhainn wrote: »
    So a little easier for the week ahead as I want to nail a good PB in the 5 miler on Sat. QUOTE]

I'll have my work cut out so:eek: Great stats joe

• Advertisement

That was a very decent MP run then. Nice to be paced along by Bazman. You still doing Tubbercurry?

No, skipping it. Its only 4 weeks from the marathon and need to do a decent long run. (did 2 hours yesterday but very easy).

Will be doing a long run with pace thrown in. May do a 10k 2 weeks out. Bazman swears by it and i need a little pace to make Mpace feel more comfortable. Theres one in the park 1st april.

If i was 5 weeks out and had my long runs in check, id definately run Tubber.

2 long and 2 LT sessions for next 2 weeks.

Id say Kevin is easily in sub 74 HM form judging by saturdays run.

Weekly Summary 18/03/12

Mon – Evening – 8.8 mile run (07:05m/m) HR128
    Tue – Early AM - 9.4 mile run (06:50m/m) HR131
    PM - 1hr turbo. Watt 203. Cad 83 HR 115. Distance 30.6km
    Wed – Early AM. 2.25k swim in 49:15
    - PM 12 mile run (06:36m/m) with 10 x 1 min pick-ups to 05:20m/m. HR 140
    Thur – PM. 6.7 mile run (06:43m/m) HR133
    Fri – PM 6.2 mile run (06:40M/m) with 6 x 30 sec pick-ups. HR 136
    Sat – PM 10 miles with FR Murphy 5 mile race in 26:35. HR 168
    Sun – AM. 20.3miles @ (06:46m/m). HR 138

Totals:
    Run –73.4 miles
    Bike – 30.6km
    Swim – 2.25km

Total Time – 10hr 05 min.

Coming along very nicely
    The 5 mile Race in Kildalkey was the big focus this week and a great PB gives me good confidence for London. Report below.
    The sessions leading up to Sat were in essence not difficult. Monday and Tuesdays were in part recovery from the weekends’ efforts. I set up the turbo outside on Tues for an easy 1 hr spin. I make sure I calibrated the thing this time around and duly found it manageable. I was aiming for 170 watts or so but again I am a fecker and found myself aiming to average 200+ in the end.
    The 12 miler Wed was preparation for Saturdays’ race and included 10 x 1 min efforts at 05:20 /mile pace. TBH I found getting to this speed not very easy and after I questioned whether I could maintain 27 mins at the 05:20-25 pace.
    I picked up a pair of Kinvara 2’s and tried them on the Thursday and Friday runs. They feel so light but still have sufficient support. A lovely shoe.
    The 20 miler on Sunday was my second to last 20+ before April 22nd. I was glad of the company from mile 4 to 10 with Ian and Lar and I wasn’t really concerned with pace. The outbound miles against the wind weren’t very pleasant. However the homebound 10 miles at sub 06:30 pace felt very comfortable with the full session and HR averaging at 138 with max of only 149. Again no water or gels on this though I was quite thirsty when I got home. Must have been those match pints evening before.;)

Kildalkey 5 Mile Report
    12 months earlier I struggled around here in equaling my 5 mile PB of 28:14. Somehow 4.5 weeks later I managed a 2:43 in London. 1 year later and more than ½ stone lighter I was aiming to get close to 27:00. I ran 27:50 for the final 5 miles in Dungarvan 10 miler in Jan so I hoped this could be a good day
    The warm-up with Pronator , Krusty and Mithril was rather rushed as the inclement weather had now reached mid Meath. Large lakes were on the road and my super light Kinvara’s now were not so weightless.
    Soon we were off and I counted the main group of 12 or 13 ahead of me as we rounded the first turn. We were going at a decent clip and they were perhaps 4 of us in the 2nd group me leading it out. I went through the mile 1 marker in 05:14 which slightly alarmed me. I eased off the gas just a little and found the pace comfortable. I let the guy I was running with now gradually move ahead. (Same chap ran a brilliant race. He moved up the field to eventually finish 2nd). As the mile 2 sign was reached I started to catch runners that were been dropped by the main group. The underfoot conditions were bad in places and on a number of occasions we were having to jump over big lakes of water and mud, my first experience of steeple chasing and cross county in one race. The route took us onto some narrow twisty roads with central median full of grass. The hills were few and very gentle so if the day was dry it would have been super quick.
    I passed by 3 or 4 runners in the mid-section and seeing my pace I knew a solid 26:xx was on the cards. Mile 4 (05:20) was partially on what I call a bog road or trails to those that don’t know what bog roads are. I was starting to work harder now to maintain the pace but some runners ahead seemed to be coming back to me. However that didn’t materialize as those ahead seemed to have a final kick in themselves in that last 1/3 of a mile as I dug hard to cross the line in a very happy finish time of 26:35 and 9th position. And I won my self a few yo yo’s as the first auld lad home too.
    There was great running by my team mates above who both ran new PB’s also.
    My garmin showed 4.93 miles I agree with KC ‘s analysis also. I also think we didn’t start from the correct start line though. There were 2 yellow lines, one that had “start” and a 2nd broken line perhaps 10-15 meters further on where we started. Feck it though I’m taking it. It had the same finish line as last year when it was spot on.

Splits:
    Mile 1 - 05:14
    Mile 2 - 05:20
    Mile 3 - 05:16
    Mile 4 - 05:20
    Mile 5 - 05:23

So with less than 5 weeks to go the body is feeling very good. With another 70+ mile week in the bag I am very happy at how things are going. This Sunday sees me take on the Wicklow half marathon. The route is very hilly but the real fun doesn’t come until 9.6 miles in. From there to the finish there are 2 steep hills and 3 very steep descents. I’m targeting this race at MP though at around 6 min miles. This will be one of my last decent sessions of that nature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

12 months earlier I struggled around here in equaling my 5 mile PB of 28:14. Somehow 4.5 weeks later I managed a 2:43 in London. 1 year later and more than ½ stone lighter I was aiming to get close to 27:00. I ran 27:50 for the final 5 miles in Dungarvan 10 miler in Jan so I hoped this could be a good day

Wow this has to be a great sign, lighter and 90 seconds faster. Great run. I heard your fellow pussie (;)) had a great run also to grab a podium spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cracking running! :cool:

Great run. I heard your fellow pussie (;)) had a great run also to grab a podium spot.

Us pussies have to stay together. Just like you Jacks;)

Ya he's flying alright. I got a bigger paycheck that him on the day, he wasn't happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

man , your on fire ! Doin some great sessions and making great progress , you should put in a mighty performance the end of April

Weekly Summary 25/03/12

Mon – Evening – 9.4 mile steady run (06:42m/m) HR131
    Tue – AM 83K Bike 26.2kph HR 120
    Wed – Early AM. 2.5k swim in 55min
    - PM 12 mile progression run of 2 miles sections – 10secs (avg pace 06:22m/m) HR 143
    Thur – PM 10.2 mile steady run (06:45m/m). HR 136
    Fri – Rest.
    Sat – AM 6.6 mile run with pick ups.(06:50m/m) HR 133
    Sun – AM. 17 miles with Wicklow Half marathon win in 1:17:31

Totals:
    Run –59.2 miles
    Bike – 83.3km
    Swim – 2.5km
    Total Time – 10hr 36 min.

4 weeks and counting

A late write up this week, no not ill just a few bits on.
    Another solid week – a partial recovery week also as I had an eye on Sundays race for most of it. I wanted to be half fresh for that.

Going by AHR Monday’s recovery run was so but the pace said otherwise. There was no real heaviness in the legs after the weekends efforts.
    Tuesdays bikes continue to be ones of discovery and very enjoyable. Paul back from a weeks’ mostly bike training in Lanzorate suggested Brown’s mt somewhere in the Wicklow mts. I hadn’t been up there before but in a sick way loved the 9k + of the continuous climb While the overall pace wasn’t high another decent ride and low hr of 120 bpm suggests my biking fitness is really improving.

The one hardish session I threw in for the week was the progression 12 mile run. I didn’t want to try out an interval session but this effort had it benefits. Again this was an improved performance on the same session some 5 weeks previous.

Wicklow Half marathon Race Report
    I did have an advantage over most in that I run some of this course most days now. However I only ever did the full half route once due to its nasty hills in the last 5-6 k. I assume a few runners probably shyed away from the race then because of this.

My plan for the race was to average MP effort of around 03:43m/km or 5:59m/mile. Take it easy up 2 k then relax into a nice pace and look forward to the agony from 15k to the end.
    I thought that would give me a good chance of a placing and perhaps an outside chance of something better.
    Looking around at the start and I only recognized 1 or 2 in the 350 line up. Loads of club runners though few from local around.

Running at the front the first 300m were quick downhill before a sharp left turn and a long challenging drag of 1400m to the new rd. Passed my house 1/3 way up where I received the usual support. Even the dog was going nuts at all these loonies running on this fantastic day. I had company from a Kilcoole AC runner to now. Taking it handy up to the turn we had already opened a gap. Coming to 3k I was ahead and saluted Beepbeep 67 taking some action shots. This was a fast section and from there until about 8k there was only one 500m drag. I was well ahead here clipping along very nicely with the company of the lead biker and good support.

The next 2k offered more challenging efforts as I seen I went through 10k in about 36:25. There were some more downhill sections before the climbing begun again at 13k. My pace varied and was never constant over up to this point but after each harder section I was back to a good controlled rhythm. The effort felt fine, I wanted to up the speed but just knew what was ahead.
    Through 10 miles in just over 58:30 I found myself half way up the first climb. The legs found this hard but I dug in knowing I had over 1km till the next one.
    The second climb was fecking tougher. It seemed to go on forever and I felt if I was almost coming to a standstill. After a brief reprieve a final sneaky hill before I reached the highest point of Wicklow town. The 20k marker was a pleasant one and I just ripped it going down the other hill side to the town center. Somehow I knew my quads were going to suffer after this. Almost sprinting all the way down it felt good as I reached the finish line with my first half marathon victory.

I didn’t plan to give this as much effort as I did. It was just over 60 secs outside my best time for the half (from Kinvara 1:16:28 3 weeks previous) and the profile of this was many times more difficult than most half’s out there. . That time seems somewhat soft now.
    I wonder will many return to run this if it is staged on the same route as 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

Great win Abhainn - excellent that you led all the way round. Looks like you're in excellent shape for london now

I wonder will many return to run this if it is staged on the same route as 2012?

Well done on another super run Joe. I was toying with the idea of running this myself but when I seen the profile I decided against it. You have to be happy with how things are going. See you in London ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Congrats Joe - Wicklow and Cyprus Champion now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Well done on another super run Joe. I was toying with the idea of running this myself but when I seen that you were doing it and had no chance I decided against it. You have to be happy with how things are going. See you in London ;)
    well done joe...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    well done joe...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, anto you're a pest :)

jaymack75 wrote: »
    Great win Abhainn - excellent that you led all the way round. Looks like you're in excellent shape for london now

Cheers lad. Have you any upcoming races planned?
    Well done on another super run Joe. I was toying with the idea of running this myself but when I seen the profile I decided against it. You have to be happy with how things are going. See you in London ;)

Thanks TRR. Hopefully the pieces are coming together.
    Ya you'll probably see me layed out flat in the GFA area close to the coffee spot. I must remember to bring something water proof to lay on:)

well done joe...

I had to read that TRR reference twice to kop it. Anto your no pest just a chancer:D

catweazle wrote: »
    Congrats Joe - Wicklow and Cyprus Champion now!

And Wicklow masters cross country champion too;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

email dat yoke wen u get a chance;)

email dat yoke wen u get a chance;)

I knew you'd say that. Like a bloody teacher. I take back my earlier comment and TRR;s one is valid
    Ya I do it but sitting on the couch now, too lazy to scan it in and email it just yet.

Well done Abhainn, great win. Easiest 2k at the start and fastest/strongest k at the end means youll get the 100% training effort from it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done Joe on the win. Really looking forward to tracking you around London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Good stuff Joe, saw your name in the Indo today for it, nice headline.

See you in London, i'll give you a wave as i pass you down the Mall :D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Tried that with Abhainn last year. Didn't work out too well for me as he left me for dead. By the look of this training log the only chance any of us will have to wave at him will be in Blackheath.

T runner wrote: »
    Well done Abhainn, great win. Easiest 2k at the start and fastest/strongest k at the end means youll get the 100% training effort from it too.

Yes but quads were in bits on Monday

Good stuff Joe, saw your name in the Indo today for it, nice headline.

Thanks I see I took no prisoners:)
    dermCu wrote: »
    Tried that with Abhainn last year. Didn't work out too well for me as he left me for dead. By the look of this training log the only chance any of us will have to wave at him will be in Blackheath.

Are you guys in the GFA red start?

Are you guys in the GFA red start?

I am, I think dermcu has a uk championship number. Brian is in with the great unwashed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuff at the weekend Abhainn. Did you wear the Kinvaras? Any decision made as to wether you are going to wear them in London or not?

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great stuff at the weekend Abhainn. Did you wear the Kinvaras? Any decision made as to wether you are going to wear them in London or not?

Yes sure did. They felt great. Cheers for the advise

Advertisement