Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Abhainn wrote: »
    Yes but quads were in bits on Monday

They will recover stronger. I know Canova uses downhill running for this purpose. To create microscopic tears and for them to heal stronger. An idea of how effective this is: is that after a hard descent a hill runner is unlikely to experince this soreness again for the season. i.e the pounding on the legs is the same, the fibres are now so strong that only minimal damage occurs.

This has obvious benefits both for the latter stages of your marathon and for the recovery after it. However, you do need to recover from it. Bear that in mind this week. Ive read one function of the taper is to heal all microscopic tears (before trying to re-tear them again late in the race.)

That downhill might be a strong reason to be as meticulous and strict with your taper as you have been up to this point. A good taper after your training effort to date will have you feeling very mean indeed in 3.x weeks.

( its easier for me to have a definite opinion about someone elses training while having indecisiveness about my own.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

T runner wrote: »
    They will recover stronger. I know Canova uses downhill running for this purpose. To create microscopic tears and for them to heal stronger. An idea of how effective this is: is that after a hard descent a hill runner is unlikely to experince this soreness again for the season. i.e the pounding on the legs is the same, the fibres are now so strong that only minimal damage occurs.

This has obvious benefits both for the latter stages of your marathon and for the recovery after it. However, you do need to recover from it. Bear that in mind this week. Ive read one function of the taper is to heal all microscopic tears (before trying to re-tear them again late in the race.)

That downhill might be a strong reason to be as meticulous and strict with your taper as you have been up to this point. A good taper after your training effort to date will have you feeling very mean indeed in 3.x weeks.

( its easier for me to have a definite opinion about someone elses training while having indecisiveness about my own.)

T Runner we can all relate to you last comment.

The muscle beakdown coming from the downhill effort felt more than microscopic tears.
    Your the 2nd expert that mentioned the importance of recovering properly from it. I'm now hoping my last 22 miler yesterday won't have gone against me. (I had to bring it forward from Sun).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

T Runner we can all relate to you last comment.

The muscle beakdown coming from the downhill effort felt more than microscopic tears.
    Your the 2nd expert that mentioned the importance of recovering properly from it. I'm now hoping my last 22 miler yesterday won't have gone against me. (I had to bring it forward from Sun).

No, youve loads of time, just keep recovery in mind now after that block.
    You no doubt had recovery planned after the 22 miler. My point might be just to be aware that 1 extra day (gauge it) could be added to the planned recovery period due to the downhill. Youll know yourself.

Your training has been really excellent and you are going to feel strong as an ox as race time approaches. Hold back, keep taper meticulous: 1. Recovery 2. controlled maintenance.

B]Weekly Summary 1/04/12[/B]

Mon – Evening – 8.6 mile run (07:04m/m) HR129
    Tue – AM 62k Blue TT 32.7kph HR 127
    Wed – Early AM. 2.25 swim in 49min
    - AM 10.5 mile steady run (06:42m/m) HR 135
    Thur – AM 22 mile long steady run (06:45m/m). HR 140
    Fri – AM . 7.5 mile recovery (07:08m/m) HR 124
    Sat – AM 11.1mile run with pick ups.(06:46m/m) HR 131
    Sun – Lunch 14.35 mile steady run with some pick ups.(06:41m/m) HR 137

Totals:
    Run –74.05 miles
    Bike – 62km
    Swim – 2.25km
    Total Time – 11hr 06 min.

Another solid week.
    My legs weren’t the full shilling after last weeks’ half. My quads especially were very sore on Monday and in general my legs felt they had taken a battering.
    On Tues I took out the Blue Triad TT for an intended easy spin to boost the leg recovery. With lovely conditions and the bike feeling really good I found myself achieving a nice speed. The bike is so much lighter than my road version. It felt really good and I was satisfied with my TT position.
    My Wed morning swim seems to be improving a bit, well the effort seemed easier (pace not though) and I try to improve on my bilateral breathing for one.

Due to the Godfather coming up on Friday for the weekend for an overdue visit I needed to bring forward my last 22 miler to Thurs. This wasn’t really ideal as my legs still felt heavy. With the Boss’s Wrecking Ball and Best Of Iron Maiden to get me through the session the first hours running was not very fast on the tired legs. I didn’t want to push it, and anyway in the past I’ve run back to back long runs (e.g up to 24 Sat, 21 Sun ) so I knew what running on tired legs feels like. Indeed the return 11 miles felt fine and without water or sugar of any sort I got through this in good nick though I was thirsty for the last 5 miles.

I brought the main man on a bit of a pub crawl Sat night and had a gallon of porter. You know why I didn’t fancy a 22 miler on Sunday then;) But the 14+ miles felt fine and I moved quick well. The legs felt strong.

I usually take 2 weeks taper before a marathon so the coming week will probably see another 70mile + under the belt. The week gone was my highest so far this campaign.
    I will probably run the Wicklow 5k road race on Wed evening. I prefer that instead of a 5 x 1km session so I’ll be looking at improving my PB of 16:48 from St Stephens Day
    In the recent 5 miler I went through 5k in about 16:25 so we’ll see how things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I will probably run the Wicklow 5k road race on Wed evening.

Do you have a link for this?

What's the story with the stash of wood behind your bike in the pic. Looks like you will be sending up an SOS :D Us jacks can't have coal fires anymore ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Do you have a link for this?

What's the story with the stash of wood behind your bike in the pic. Looks like you will be sending up an SOS :D Us jacks can't have coal fires anymore ;)

County Champs - I can get you in as a guest if you're looking for run out.
    Kilcoole, Weds, 7:30

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    County Champs - I can get you in as a guest if you're looking for run out.
    Kilcoole, Weds, 7:30

Cheers thanks very much for that. Can I let you know tomorrow? (probably 30/70 chance of making it) Thanks again

Scrap that I won't be able to make it. Thanks for the offer though

I'll be using that wood to keep me warm in the cool summer evenings while sipping good beers. :)
    When I lived in Dublin I used to import up from the sticks the best smokey coal and I could get my hands on. That stuff up here was pure muck

And before you start or anyone else those paving stones have been power washed now and everything else is in prestine order around the camp:D

Have you plans for a long run this weekend? I'm trying to organise something myself

Have you plans for a long run this weekend? I'm trying to organise something myself

No firm plans only that I would hope to get in a 19 miler or so by Sunday. I am open to meeting up

I'm in 2 minds. I had originally planned on

Sat - 12 miler steady with pick ups
    Sun - 17 miles with last 8 @ MP i.e. 6min/miles

but also half thinking of
    Sat - 12 miles with 10 @ 6min
    Sun - 19 steady

The latter option I would have been doing 2 weeks before a marathon in the past. I don't want to over do things though, the last 13 weeks are starting to tire me a little.

• Advertisement

Either of those Sunday runs suits me. I'll see if I can escape from chez roadrunner Sunday morning and get back to you later this evening.

Weekly Summary 8/04/12

Mon – Evening – 10.2 mile run (06:49m/m) HR133
    Tue – AM – 9.5 mile run (06:42m/m) with 8 x 30 secs at 03:15/km pace. HR 133
    Wed – Early AM. 4.2 mile run easy (07:10M/M) . HR124
    - Evening 6.8 miles with 5k Race Wicklow Road Championship in 16:37. Position 3rd. HR 170
    Thur – PM . 9.45 mile steady (06:40m/m) HR 132
    Fri – AM -2.5km swim in 54:18
    PM – 57km TT bike @ 30.8kph. HR 126
    Sat – AM 12.mile run with last 6 @ 05:57m/m. 6 @ 05:57m/m. (12 avg 06:22) HR 154
    Sun – AM 19 long run (06:41m/m) HR 142

Totals:
    Run –71.1 miles
    Bike – 57km
    Swim – 2.5km
    Total Time – 10hr 46 min.

12 days and counting
    Yes I’m glad last week has been completed. I didn’t quite get it right, it wasn’t very enjoyable but with more hard work done, I’ve survived and I am feeling ok again.
    The legs were feeling sluggish and heavy with little zip in them up to Wednesdays 5k race. I have one regret for this marathon preparation and that is I didn’t incorporate doubles especially during recovery days. Note it for Boston 2013

5K race Report
    This was my final tune up race before London. With proper preparation I believe a 16:15 may be possible at some time. I had raced a 16:48 in the hilly Wicklow 5k on St Stephens Day so I felt I could better that. However with the windy condition, tough course and the fact that this came at the end of my hardest period of training ever I just wanted a good run out to get open up the legs well before the marathon taper set in.
    A sizable field had assembled in Kilcoole with many familiar faces. The route itself was an out and back. The profile of the outward section was predominately uphill with just a couple of downward bits, one at the turnaround. Pronator and the young Roundwood runner took on the early pace as I settled in a few meters behind them. The pace wasn’t very hot as we entered the 2nd km but this was now the toughest part of the course. I pulled back the gap and at this point there were 5 of us in a group. The long drag resulted in the pace slipping back though. I wondered what the 2 speedy lads were at, they were much quicker than this and I concluded they were probably eyeing each other up. Through 2kn in a slow 3:32 but the young lad shortly before the turn increased the pace and broke up the group. I hit the turnaround point in a rather slow 8:36 in 3rd place. I didn’t know what to expect from the headwind on the return. However I increased the effort trying not to let the gap widen too much to the two lads ahead. Well inside the 4k mark (last km 3:09) and I sensed I was slowly closing the gap but just as I thought I could get closer the two lads fought it out over the windy last km with the young stallion getting the win by a few secs in the end.
    I finished strong enough and was relatively happy with the 16:37 PB in the end. That 16:15 will have to wait for another day.
    Ended up with a 3k warm down. Great running by Pronator who had a track session still in his legs, Beepbeep67 who raced very solidly and who looks in fine form before his big day this Sunday.
    Thanks to Pre for his support at the end:D

KM marker splits:
    1. 3:21
    2. 3:32
    3. 3:21
    4. 3:09
    5. 3:13

Surprisingly the legs were relatively fresh on Thursday’s run but in hindsight I should have pulled it back a little or even taken a rest day then. I managed a fair swim Fri morning but I wasn’t feeling 100% all day. I felt tired, a bit like jet lag. I knew I overdid things as by 45km in on Fridays afternoon recovery bike the legs were feeling empty. And green snot was also abundant. Crap.
    I had originally planned on a MP 10 miler on Sat and 18-19 miler Sunday but the way I was feeling I knew I would have to revise my weekends plan.
    Still feeling not great the Saturday morning session was amended to 6 miles at MP or pick up’s depending on how I felt. A mile into my session I met a club mate at the end of his run and agreed to pace him on his last 2k at 4:00/km. That done I noticed my HR levels were a good 10bpm over norm, not good. I decided to take on a few MP anyway with the view that if I found it hard I would drop back. I was ok till 5 MP in and onto last one when things got hard and but very hard as I finished the last.
    Thankfully I felt slightly better on Sunday morning. There was still loads of green snot but I took things easy on the first 9 miles of my last long run and found myself cruising along at about 06:25/mile on the 10 homeward miles with the HR behaving itself well.

So I am over the last hard week of training and the body is feeling much better now. I just need to get in a good taper in and along with a good rub down perhaps later this week I will aim to feel fresh in 12 days time.
    In other news weight has dropped to 70.5kg so I’ll be hoping I can keep it close to that.

Weekly Summary 15/04/12

Mon – PM – 7.5 mile recovery run (06:58m/m) HR131
    Tue – Lunch– 8.2 mile easy run (06:50m/m). HR 134
    Wed – AM. 9.3 mile run with 3 x 1 mile & 3 x 800m at approx. 10k pace with half interval time easy. (06:19m/m) . HR148 Here
    Thur – Early AM 6.4 mile recovery (07:06m/m) HR 127
    Fri – Rest
    Sat – AM 8.8 miles run with last 6.8 at MP (avg 05:58m/m) HR 152
    Sun – AM 13 mile run with last 6 <6:25 (06:40m/m) HR 142

Totals:
    Run –53.2 miles
    Bike – 0km
    Swim – 0km
    Total Time – 5hr 54 min.

An odd week but confidence is ok with 4 days to go

Yeah it was a funny sort of a week. A bit going on with other things so possibly that is the reason. But I wasn’t feeling as sharp as I wished all week. I think the virus bug I had last week was still not fully gone.
    The HR levels were a bit up too during the sessions. I maintained intensity but reduced volume miles.
    Surprising the Tues run felt a bit crap while the recovery the day before was fine. I felt I needed a LT session Wed but choose a stupid route – latter half of the Wicklow half race route. The first 2 x 1 mile came in ok around 05:30/ mile, slightly too quick for LT but the 3rd was a dog. All up- hill but I didn’t want to give in. Because I “failed” on the last I decided to throw in a few half miles at same pace. These were net downhill so the leg turn over would have benefited. All in all it was a tough session with a slightly unhappy mind at the end.
    Final MP session was ok on Sat. Again slightly elevated HR levels but wind during the MP miles wasn’t very kind.
    Sunday medium run was rather crap for first 7 miles. Body and legs felt un responsive at the slowish pace and I didn’t feel ok until I picked it up for the last half.

So my longest marathon preparation block has almost finished. I’m very happy the way it has progressed. It is surprising the race times you can achieve if you lose the puppy fat. ;)
    I still reckon there could be a couple more kgs to go but I’ve had a number of good PB’s, with exception of the half in Kinvara. I know I still could knock out at 1:14 at some point. But overall the form is a vast improvement over same time last year when I somehow knocked out a 2:43 on a warm day. I am going into this London race well more prepared and with the good training done and good form I can run with confidence on Sunday.
    Plan will be similar to Dublin 2011. I’ll ease into race and take the first few miles at 06:05-06:10 pace. The first 4 miles in London at net downhill so if I can let the legs warm up nicely I would hope to slowly build up to 6 min miles thereafter.

Yesterday was a rest day. Today I had a good rub down after an easy run. A few more easy runs with some pick up’s are planned for the remainder of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Have a good one Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Joe very little to say but go out and smash it, you deserve a super result. I think you have my number, if so text me as I will be out cycling in the Turkish mountains thinking of how your race is going :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Joe. No doubt you'll ace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Go get 'em Abhainn. I want to hear all about it swimming across Wicklow Harbour some day soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Very best of luck Joe. Hoping for an extraordinary result. Run a fast one.

A nice early run around Sutton in south London and it felt good.
    Been a hectic week career wise but signed one offer on the dotted line :D just before we left for the airport yesterday morning. Mind is at ease now

Expo was nothing special. One hour spent there was maybe 45 mins too much. Only interesting thing for me was reviewing the yet to be launched new Kinvara 3's.
    Beginning to get focused now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Beginning to get focused now.

Good stuff abhainn, have a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck Abhainn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Killer stuff Joe, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Savage race Joe! Roll on Barcelona!!! :cool:

The London Marathon Finishers Certificate says:
    YOU CAME, YOU RAN, YOU CONQUERED.
    That probably summarises fairly well my memorable run last Sunday.

Marathon Preparation
    It began in Dec when I ran two local 5k’s then in decent times. I gradually built up the mileage in the near year. I won the Wicklow masters cross county (first time racing on grass) and then posted a nice 56:05 in the Dungarvan 10 mile. By now I was introducing a long bike into my weekly schedule which I built up to 4 hrs and also throwing one swim into the mix. I could see my fitness improving as the weight lowered steadily.
    During February I gradually increased my mileage into the 70’s and maintained intensity.
    I finished a decent 3rd in the windy Kinvara half in early March in a PB of 1:16:31 though I had hoped to run a high 74 or low 75 on the day. 2 weeks later I had a great run in the slightly short 5 mile in Kildalkey with a 26:35. One week later I managed to get my first half marathon win in my adopted town on a bxstard of a course in 1:17:28. Weekly mileage peaked at 74 miles around then.
    My final race was in April with the Wicklow 5k road race on a windy and trying route, I was happy enough though with a 16:37 and 3rd overall.
    So with a number of PB’s, consistent running and no injuries I found myself in the best shape of my life

Week Lead Up
    I was definitely not feeling 100%. There were some non-running matters that had me well stressed so that I even lost weight in the final taper week. I reached my Barcelona Challenge goal weight of 69.9kg 3 days prior with no reduction in food intake and running just 18 miles or so that week. But by Friday morning just before the trip to the airport I could finally focus on the race and the PB assault I had planned.

Race
    I should have known 4 cousins together wouldn’t allow for a totally easy and relaxing weekend. The Friday night I had a poor interrupted sleep, Sat I managed 5.5hrs of rest. But I felt fine race morning. Got dropped off to Blackheath by Christophe La Maison (Brother In Law’s first name and because he is French my bros and myself always add on the surname of the famous rugby player). I was relaxing very nicely in the GFA area in the shelter of the moderate breeze by 8:20am.
    There was no sign of any familiar faces as we were assembling at the top of the red zone so at 9:45amn we set off in the bright sunshine. I went off steady knowing the first miles were downhill and hit mile 1 in 05:59. Garmin was spot on but thereafter it recorded the miles long and somewhat irregular. During mile 3 Peter Mooney came along side, we had a brief chat, shared water and then he moved on. At 3 miles the 3 starts come together and I look around for potential pacers / groups similar to myself. Through 5k in 18:37 some 10 sec ahead of my target but I was all the time trying to pull back and conserve energy. Even now the head wind was noticeable so I tucked behind runners. Moving along nicely then I was surprised to hear a familiar voice – Dermcu. I was slightly taken back, didn’t expect to see him. Immediately thought I was somehow travelling too slowly. But it wasn’t the case. He mentioned the group I was at the tail of was the 2:37 one. They seemed to be going too quick so I decided to run my own race and take no chances. Through 10k in 37:10, knew I was up on my plan but kept a close eye on my HR. I had hoped to go through half way at 165 BPM but it was coming close to that now. Soon after I noticed Peter Mooney just ahead and by mile 9 we were running together. He wasn’t firing at all. We ran together to 2-3 miles and went through 10 miles in 59:37 – some 50 sec up on my plan. By the time I turned onto London Bridge Peter was slightly behind. Unlike the year before I was travelling very well at this point as I stared in awe at the construction of the towers and then IT happened. I was due a gel at 14 miles so I can’t blame that as the reason for the next 5-6k. It wasn’t the “running zone” we runners experience it was something above that. I felt so light on my feet and I was passing big numbers of runners. There were many images going through my mind, dozens, loads of visions bombarding my brain. At one point I looked down at the Garmin and seen 05:35/mile. Crap, ****e. I went through half way in 1:18:03 only some 90 sec outside my best for the distance. The 5k to 25k was done sub 18 (miles 05:49, 05:46, and 05:39). I pulled back; hopefully not too much damage was done. But I knew then a sub 2:37 was definitely on.
    At mile 18 I started to count down the miles and mins to the finish. HR was 172 and solid. I went through 20 miles in 1:58:33. A 59 min for the last 10 miles and my confidence was grown.
    Just 10k to go but now I was beginning to get thirsty which was a bad sign. I had taken on some water at every water station (about every 2.5k) but because of this thirst it seemed I didn’t take enough on. I tried to take my mind off the discomfort I was now feeling in my legs. I would talk to myself that I would slot in with the next runner or group ahead. Of course when I reached that target I would wait a few moments and then continue on. This happened frequently.
    Then with around 3 miles to go I felt the onset of cramp in my left calf. Cramp has never been a problem for me before so this was out of the blue. I took the pedal off the gas, and shortened my stride. However a 5:52 was still a decent split for mile 24. The route took us under the second tunnel and seemed to go on forever as my calf seemed to worsen. Mile 25 (06:17) was my slowest of the race but I picked it up again as I knew my loved ones were not far away. My stride lengthened and then my little girl spotted me. I instructed the gang to be on the look-out from about 12:20pm and as it was 12:18 they almost missed me! That was my finish line. You would have wanted to see the smile on my face as I entered the last 500 meters. There was one more scary moment when just on mile 26 when my right hamstring cramped up and had me jogging almost immediately. But I kept the head and jogged it out for 40-50 meters when I entered the mall and the last 200 meters.
    Then I could see one runner just crossing the finish line ahead and there was no one between me and that line now. This was my moment. I will never forget as long as I can live that mall, the crowds shouting as I gave it socks – punching the air, shouting, kissing my vest , the more I did the worse they got and then I gave more. And with 100 meters to go I heard the song “One moment in time” and it at full volume. I’m not a big fan of WH or that song but I heard myself saying “This is my moment” and I know I shed a tear or two as I crossed those magic red timing mats on this the best day of my running life.
    I achieved my goal - To run a marathon under 6 min/mile pace. The top 100th placing was so sweet also. Its great when a plan comes together
    Pure Bliss: London Marathon 2:36:21. Position 98th. Avg Pace 05:57/mile. HR avg 169 (90%)

Well done to all the London boards marathon crowd. Apologies for leaving early (3 kids, OH and sister in tow) but I did manage a chat with dermu and Roadrunner after. There will just be the OH and myself in Boston 2013, can't wait.

Foot note: Many thanks to all that were following my splits on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great report and thoroughly deserved result. Roll on Boston!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great time, you absolutely spanked that course!!!!! Well done..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Bloody Aced it!!! Cracking stuff Joe and very well done, well deservd indeed! Another sweet running moment to add to your collection and nicely articulated also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I will make sure the djs at both Triburgh and Swinford are amply stocked with some Whitney Houston classics for you. Well done, sub 2.35 next year :D

catweazle wrote: »
    I will make sure the djs at both Triburgh and Swinford are amply stocked with some Whitney Houston classics for you. Well done, sub 2.35 next year :D

Thanks John
    Swinford yes, Louisburgh no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Some amazing moments. Felt like I was there with you in the finishing straight.
    A top 100 place in one of the biggest most competitive marathons in the world, in an Olympic year is something to be proud of for the rest of your life.

Advertisement