Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

And I thought my transitions were slow! :D

Seriously though, nice improvements. Pity the swim shaped up the way it did. There's a significant delta between your 10k PB and your 10k off the bike. Any idea why that is?

Enjoy the 180k this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

pgibbo wrote: »
    There's a significant delta between your 10k PB and your 10k off the bike. Any idea why that is?

Yes was expecting it to be closer to low 36's (it been slightly long I ran 36:40 equivalent) based on my 34:20 straight from the week before.
    I do know that based on HR average I didn't push as hard as I should.
    The course itself wouldn't be regarded as fast as there was alot of turns and one been 180 degree. Even though it was congeted I had to move around others on numerous occasions.
    Enjoy the 180k this weekend.

Cheers - Into the unknown.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Abhainn wrote: »
    Why couldn’t the organizers have pushed it back a further 1000m to the preferred distance?

My report said the exact same thing, strange decision not to make it 40k.

If it's any consolation, my T1 was slower than yours.

Weekly Summary 8/07/12
    Mon: Lunch. 4.2 mile run (06:50m/m). HR136
    Evening 2.25km swim 45:06. Pace 2:00/100M
    Tue: Evening 2.25km coached swim in 46min. Pace 2:01/100M
    Wed: Early am. 53.6km bike commute to work @ 29.7kph. HR 128
    PM 53.7km bike home @ 28.1kph (Nasty headwind). HR 119
    Thur: Lunch 7.1 mile mod fast run. (06:19m/m) HR 147
    Evening. 3.0km swim in 56:30. 1:53/100M
    Fri: Evening: 8.8 mile run (06:51m/m). HR140
    Sat: Long Brick - 183km bike @ 28.7kph. HR 127
    3 Counties Long Bike
    3.6 mile run (06:45m/m). HR 145
    Sun: AM. 15.85 mile run (06:52m/m). HR 136
    PM. 2.06km OW swim in 39:30

Totals:
    Run x 5 – 39.5 miles. Time 4hr 26 min
    Bike x 3– 290km. Time - 10h 06min
    Swim x 4 – 9.56km. Time - 3hr 03min
    Total Time – 17hr 35 min.

Biggest Week Yet
    This was a good week especially for confidence building. I hit almost all my pre planned sessions with the exception of an easy turbo pencilled in for Fri.
    I had my first ever swimming lesson on Tues, about time too. It seemed to work well for my 3k swim on the Thurs. I hit a pace I never managed close to before. The only negative is cramping in the calves and bottoms of my feet 2,500m in. Still not sure what is the cause here. It’s not down to hydration levels.
    It was an important week for me on the bike. Thankfully Sat dawned with favourable conditions as I attempted my longest ride of 6hrs +. I circle navigated Wicklow county, south Dublin and also into north Carlow. I hadn’t expected the long slog up Bohernabreena to Brittas. The ride towards Baltinglass was good with a tail wind picking up though I had to frequently stretch my back on this section. Low on H2O by 100k I stretched it to Tinahely at 125k. I was almost averaging 30kph to this point. I was weak though and couldn’t resist a fantastic sandwich while getting the liquid.
    Then onwards towards to Aughrim now the homeward stretch but the headwind really picked up. According to Wicklowweather.com the old Lapierre road bike and me had to fight gusts of close to 40kph. During the week I was offered “I’ll ride down to meet you”. For whatever reason that promise didn’t materialise and the last 30k weren’t the quickest. While the body was a bit tired the legs were fine and I managed a slightly too quick of a run off the bike.
    Always wear socks with the new Nike Zoom Elites! :( I forgot to pack socks for the Thurs lunch run and by the end of the 7 miles I had many blisters. Luckily I just got through the next evenings run and Sundays long run also. For the latter I decided to go out easy for the first 6 miles at over 7 min pace. The legs were somewhat heavy from the day before, but I can feel confident that I can increase this to 20 miles + the day after a similar long bike.

Double Pale Ales
    I was lucky to be given a couple of “Double Pale Ales” to try. The first Double Dog Pale Ale by Flying Dog has a whopping 11.5% alcohol. Ruby in colour this is a beast of a beer. Intense and you wouldn’t drink many of these.
    The 2nd Double India Pale Ale from O Dell Brewing had 9.3% of drunkiness. Slightly mellower than the previous, this is a fine ale also.

Weekly Summary 15/07/12

Mon: Evening 6 mile run (07:06m/m). HR135
    Tue: Evening 2.75km pool swim. Pace 1:55/100M
    Wed: Early am. 53.6km bike commute to work @ 28.6kph. HR 126
    PM 53.7km bike home @ 32.3kph. HR 120
    Thur: Lunch 7.1 mile steady run. (06:48m/m) HR 134
    Evening. 3.25m pool swim. 3k in 56:04. (1:52/100m) 250m wd
    Fri: PM: 8.4 mile run with 8 x 1min (05:30m/m). HR141. Pace 06:37m/m
    Sat: AM. 16.3 mile steady run (06:47 m/m). HR139
    PM. OW swim 2.67km swim in 49:50. Pace: 1:51/100m
    Sun: Early am. TT Bike 130km @ 31.9kph. HR126.
    TT Bike

Totals:
    Run x 4 – 37.75 miles. Time 4hr 16 min
    Bike x 3– 237km. Time - 7h 36min
    Swim x 3 – 8.67km. Time - 2hr 44min
    Total Time – 14hr 36 min.

Half Way Just

I’m only half way though this 20 week training plan. It feels longer. I wouldn’t be too keen on another long race preparation as this again.
    I was particularly tired on Monday and Tues. The Monday evening run wasn’t nice as the body felt the effects from the good weekend sessions. Had intended on an early run before work on Tues but hit the snooze button and got another hour in bed.
    I had my first puncture in ages on Wed’s commute to work. Must remember to wear more layers on these early morning rides. Couldn’t get going at all. The evening ride home thanks to a tail wind was solid.
    Again I’m happy with progress of my swimming. It continues to improve as my times continue to come down. Thursday’s pool and Sat OW were both close to 1:10 IM pace. Almost too afraid to say that a 1:15 or lower should be within reach if I continue at this rate.
    I continue to increase my weekend long run. I wanted a 17+ miles on Sat but I had to be back to bring young Liam to soccer practise. I’d say it was less than 7 mins by the time I returned and showered and set off again on our bikes to his session!
    Looking back now I’m happy with Sunday’s long TT bike effort. The downward 65km towards the outskirts of Enniscorthy was into a noticeable head wind and speed was under 30kph. The return felt good, my neck barely felt the effects of the TT positions (may lower stem again). Again time was a bit of a restriction and would have liked to add another 10km or 4 mile run off the bike if I had the chance.
    Happy with HR effort, 2.5hrs spent in zone 2 (<131BPM)

Humbert Challenge
    This has come around quick again. It’s the 3rd running of the race and my 3rd time doing it.
    I did a 4:57 last year. Assuming conditions are favourable I will be chasing a sub 4:45.
    Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What, no beer report? :)
    14+ hours is damn solid. Won't recognize you the next time I see you. I'm guessing we wont see you at the National Half marathon or DCM this year?

Great training. Best of luck this weekend.

Not sure if you heard - Bryan McCrystal is racing Barcelona this year too.

What, no beer report? :)
    14+ hours is damn solid. Won't recognize you the next time I see you. I'm guessing we wont see you at the National Half marathon or DCM this year?

Need to lay off the beer, choclate and crap
    Still a good 2-3kg off race weight.
    Doing DCM alright. Probably just sub 3 runner. Thanks for reminding me to enter aas it goes up start of August
    Great training. Best of luck this weekend.

Not sure if you heard - Bryan McCrystal is racing Barcelona this year too.

Cheers Paul. He'll probably be up there for best bike split of the day.

Question for you sir:
    I checked back weather temperature conditions for end Sept last few years in Barcelona. Range seems to be 23-26C. How did you find heat last year?

Cheers Paul. He'll probably be up there for best bike split of the day.

Question for you sir:
    I checked back weather temperature conditions for end Sept last few years in Barcelona. Range seems to be 23-26C. How did you find heat last year?

He sure will. I think he'll knock out a good run too.

Reports from the day were that it was 28 on the day. It was lovely on the bike as there was a nice breeze. I just drank plenty on the bike and made sure I stayed hydrated.

I have to admit I struggled on the run with the heat. My HR was sky high for what would normally be a very easy pace. Then again I had never swam 3.8k & biked 180k before a run! :D There's no shade on the run course so you're exposed to the elements. There are plenty of aid stations though. They were running very low on laps 3 & 4 for me but you'll be finished and showered by then so not a concern for you.

There's a shortage of portaloos too IIRC. I believe they are only available at transition and the turnaround point on the run course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

You are definitely somebody, if you are appearing in the pre-race build up:)

All the best!

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    You are definitely somebody, if you are appearing in the pre-race build up:)

All the best!

Ah feck it secret out then ;).
    Trying to figure out who wrote that.
    Top 10 would be great though would be happier with a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ah feck it secret out then ;).
    Trying to figure out who wrote that.
    Top 10 would be great though would be happier with a good time.

One of the organizers is a fine marathon runner himself and I think he checks in on your log from time to time ;)

You will go well, I assume a 1.3x run last year must have felt like walking for you so with all the biking this year you should have the running legs this year to take a chunk off that

catweazle wrote: »
    One of the organizers is a fine marathon runner himself and I think he checks in on your log from time to time ;)

You will go well, I assume a 1.3x run last year must have felt like walking for you so with all the biking this year you should have the running legs this year to take a chunk off that

That explains it then!

Did 1:30:01 for the 13.3 mile last year. In fairness I should be knocking out a sub 1:25 this year.

No real taper this time round but I would be delighted with these splits:

Swim: 34:xx
    Bike: 2:38:xx. (Hope that wind doesn't spoil things)
    Run: 1:26:xx
    T1+T2: 3:xx

Total: 4:42

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

:eek::eek: You must be swimming well - I better get my skates on - you might be out before me in the water at that rate as well.

South west winds scheduled at the moment - At least the wind is slightly going to be in our favour in the long flat sections if it stays like that.

Year one - the tailwind was class thought it was a little tougher last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Delighted to see your swim lessons paying dividends so early on. I stand by what I said when we were in Wicklow Harbour- with some fine tuning you have huge gains waiting for you in your swim phase. What did the instructor focus on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best to you this weekend!!!! :)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Delighted to see your swim lessons paying dividends so early on. I stand by what I said when we were in Wicklow Harbour- with some fine tuning you have huge gains waiting for you in your swim phase. What did the instructor focus on?

Id still say a long way to go.

Biggest problem was left hand and arm water entry. That seems to be sorted but I need to pull more from that side still.
    Kick was non existant.
    Stroke was a bit short also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck. Have a feeling you will worry the leaders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

good luck morro , was down at the sprint today , nice course , flat water , perfect location for a tri , a few goin down from the local club , enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good luck Joe I have a feeling you will go well in this.

• Advertisement

Seres wrote: »
    good luck morro , was down at the sprint today , nice course , flat water , perfect location for a tri , a few goin down from the local club , enjoy

Congrats on your great victory. Very impressive
    Good luck Joe I have a feeling you will go well in this.

Yes sir. Happy overall

That explains it then!

Did 1:30:01 for the 13.3 mile last year. In fairness I should be knocking out a sub 1:25 this year.

No real taper this time round but I would be delighted with these splits:

Bike: 2:38:xx. (Hope that wind doesn't spoil things)
    Run: 1:26:xx
    T1+T2: 3:xx

Total: 4:42

Actual.

Swim: 34:35
    Bike: 2:42:50. (Yes wind was a bxtch)
    Run: 1:24:46
    T1+T2: 3:38

Total 4:46. Position 7th

Good day overall. Body feeling good today

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Joe. Super result. Great run split after a couple of hours of racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Fastest run of the day, that's some good going. Well done Joe, nice spot to be in at this stage for Barcelona.

Serious congratulations!! :)

Weekly Summary 22/07/12

Mon: Lunch 5.1mile run (06:54m/m). HR131
    Tue: Evening 3.4km pool swim. 3k @ pace 1:54/100M. 400m WD
    Wed: Early am. 7.65 mile run (06:46m/m). HR 135
    Late evening. 1.5km easy pool swim (2:01/100m)
    Thur: Lunch 7.1 mile steady run. (06:41/m) HR 134
    Evening. Turbo 35min. Easy
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: AM. 6.5 mile run with 100m pick up’s (06:48 m/m). HR138
    Sun – Am. Race. Humbert Challenge Half Ironman
    Time 4:46:20. Position 7th

Totals incl race:
    Run x 4 – 39.6 miles. Time 4hr 23 min
    Bike x 2– 96km. Time - 3h 17min
    Swim x 2 – 3.4km. Time - 1hr 04min

Total Time – 8hr 44 min.

I hadn’t intended on the weeks sessions leading up to Sat’s race been as light as it was. Again there was a lot tiredness at the start of the week. Whatever it is I can’t seem to get beyond 7 solid hrs of sleep even without life’s usual interruptions.

Humbert Half Ironman
    I believe I set myself a realistic target. Originally sub 4:45 then revised down to 4:42. This would be 15 mins quicker than the year previous. I knew the course this been my 3rd time doing the event. This would be a good marker for Barcelona.
    I arrived good and early, had good chats with Catweazle (yes nice wheels) and Interested.
    The entrant numbers were definitely up again. There was a good buzz about the place

Swim:
    Was in Callow lake and swim would be in anti clockwise direction. I positioned myself up near the front. I got a great start, was not even hit once as I settled into a good rhythm early. I caught some feet on a few occasions but moved on as I thought pace wasn’t right. At the first turn left at the furthest point I got onto good feet and felt very comfortable. When the next turn left came 14:30 into the race I thought this was great. However that wasn’t half way. The return back looped out right but I continued to swim well just behind my helper. There seemed to be a nice group of us together. I looked behind me once or twice and there seemed to be big gap to the next group behind. On a couple of occasions I slipped back (lack of concentration) but got back on quickly. I sighted well throughout.
    I excited the water at the back of this group of 6 or so. 34:31 on the clock. Good job
    Lessons for Barca: Try and get onto good feet and full concentration to be maintained
    2011 39:01. Position 81st /137.
    2012 34:32. Position 34th / 160.

T1
    Went ok until I tried to put my socks on. Nearly fell over a couple of times. Id I lost 20-30 secs here. Also forgot my pump, no C02 with me.
    2011 2:01
    2012 2:01 (same though I timed it about 2:25)

Bike
    I was messy getting on the bike. The next couple of hours felt messy too.
    The bike route itself goes takes in A, B and I think C class roads.
    It wasn’t nice out there. By 6k the roads were bumpy and the strong south west wind made progress difficult at times. I overtook 5-6 early. A few km’s into the uneven terrain my rear double bottle holder (which I had attached evening before) was hanging off. I rescued the bottle, filled it into my front one. Then shortly after I thought my goose was cooked. My back wheel had jammed, fcuk. Luckily the holder had fallen onto the wheel and become partially jammed between the frame and tyre. No damage done, but I lost a tub and then I realised I had no pump / co2. And 75k to go! Just get on with it I said to myself.
    And so I tried.
    The truth is I never got into the bike leg. The climb up the windy gap wasn’t nice. I seen a group of 7 -9 riders 500m ahead and only caught 2 of these on the climb. I flew up here a year earlier, well the wind was a factor too but there was no go in my legs. From the summit at 25km to good road again at 39k it was all about the grind.
    There was a nice section then from 39k to 50k with wind behind though a fair section of the road had just been resurfaced!! More worries.
    Turned right and for 9k was into the wind again and poor surface. I was using the entire road at times just trying to pick all the smoothest sections as momentum was difficult to maintain.
    Eventually the N5 came into view and was so welcome. When you would think the wind was now going to come from behind it was mostly coming from the side for a 4-5 km.
    At last some time was recouped in the final 20km. Some 5 riders overtook me but I must have overtaken 15 on the route.

2012 2:42:40. 32.5kph (88k) Position 21th / 160. HR 144
    2011 2:45:02 32.kph Position 30th / 137. HR 145 (Conditions calm)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/202044290

T2
    Not too bad. Momentarily went into wrong line to rack my bike.

2012 1:38
    2011 1:27

Run
    As the run route has a net gain in elevation I figured an average pace of 04:05/km (1:26 split) was achievable. But after grind on the bike I didn’t know how my legs would perform in the run. The profile of the first 2k was challenging off the bike. (04:00, 03:56) I concentrated on relaxing and keeping it steady. My back was aching as I reached the highest point as I overtook 5 -6. I talked to myself to keep things steady. I found the previous 2 years run particularly painful as I set off pace too high.
    The following few clicks were solid even though there were some strong winds in places. I overtook the occasional runner but my targets were coming fewer. Through 10k in about 39:20 and it was around here a marshal said I was laying 10th overall. That really lifted me as I had targeted a top 10 overall. Shortly after I overtook 2 runners together to lift me to 8th.
    The 12th km was difficult, into a stiff wind and I took the opportunity to walk though the aid station and get extra water and the excellent cooling sponges that were provided.
    Along the busy N5 with the long up hill drags and shorter downhill sections. My average pace was now 3:56/km and I decided that my challenge now was try to keep this pace under 4:00km till the end as I needed another distraction due to the absence of any targets ahead.
    I overtook one more runner with about 3 km to go and soon turned left up a nasty steep incline onto the homeward stretch. With over 1km left I spotted a distant slow runner. The focus now was try and close the gap and take him. I did close the gap to about 70m but he spotted me with about 500m left and he had enough to reach the finish line a few secs before me.

2012 1:24:46 (21.4km). Pace 3:57/km Position 1st / 160. New course record
    2011 1:30:01 (21.4km).Pace 4:412/km. Position 6th /137. HR164

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/202067390

I was pleased :)at my performance even though I missed my overall time target. Good swim and strong run. Ok the wind made it unpleasant on the bike but with a 7th position I can be confident as I move into the last and hardest phase for Barcelona.

Super stuff Joe. Congrats. Did you get an AG prize? Nice improvements there from last. Swim and bike in particular. 4:30 on the swim is huge. Fair play. Pig of a wind so that's a great improvement on the bike. Now that you have the extra biking done your run was always going to fall in to where it should be.

You go off in AG waves in Barcelona and it's a fast enough pace to the first turn around 100m or so out. Get near the front to ensure good feet. I sauntered in last year and struggled to find feet thereafter.

Bodes well for Barca and the final stage of prep.

Congrats again.

Super stuff Joe. Congrats. Did you get an AG prize?
    Thanks Paul.
    I should be getting one. Hopefully its in the post
    Nice improvements there from last. Swim and bike in particular. 4:30 on the swim is huge. Fair play. Pig of a wind so that's a great improvement on the bike. Now that you have the extra biking done your run was always going to fall in to where it should be.
    I won't be getting complacent though. While I felt good in the swim I never felt comfortable on the bike.
    Just 7 weeks of hard stuff left
    A lot done, more to do
    You go off in AG waves in Barcelona and it's a fast enough pace to the first turn around 100m or so out. Get near the front to ensure good feet. I sauntered in last year and struggled to find feet thereafter.

Bodes well for Barca and the final stage of prep.

Thanks for info. I understand the importance of that now.

Really well done Joe. cracking run off the bike. Simmering nicely IMO

• Advertisement

Joe, I think shotgun really means this!! ;) (and I concur!)

Advertisement