Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I had to check my wheels were still there in Transition - you had a good hours grace to steal them :D

Fair play for moving on in the swim when the pace didn't feel right, my mistake was getting into too much of a comfort zone behind my guy

Great run split - they always make a big deal over course records so I will expect to hear your name mentioned next year again in the previews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Weekly Summary 29/07/12

Mon: Lunch 3.8 mile recovery run (07:21m/m). HR130
    Tue: Lunch. 6.36 mile easy run (07:04m/m). HR130
    Wed: PM. 75 min Turbo with 1x15min, & 2 x 20min @ Avg Watts 212. Distance 40.7km.
    HR 120
    Thur: Lunch 6.2 mile steady run. (06:42/m) HR 138
    Evening 3.5km pool swim. 3.25km @ pace 1:56/100M. 250m WD
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Early am. 14.1 mile progression run to sub 06:00 m/m pace. (Avg 06:35 m/m). HR139
    Progression Run
    Sun – AM 106km bike @ 29.1kph. HR 120.
    Erris bike

Totals:
    Run x 4 – 30.5 miles. Time 3hr 27 min
    Bike x 2– 146km. Time - 4h 52min
    Swim x 1 – 3.5km. Time - 1hr 09min

Total Time – 9hr 26 min.

Race Recovery Week :rolleyes:

If I was adhering to Don Fink’s IM competitive program I should have clocked up 17hrs this week. Fear not, I couldn’t rise to that challenge, just yet anyway
    Mon and Tues were recovery days. The body felt fine though. Off with the kids on Wed and only managed a turbo. The evening swim didn’t happen which I wasn’t happy about.
    Fri was an unplanned rest day. An early morning 7 miler was scrapped due to tiredness. It was late enough when I returned from Thurs nights swim and couldn’t sleep for ages. When I did mange to drop off a little dude decided to hop into bed in the early hours and then keep kicking me until I found another vacant bed. I wasn’t too bothered at missing the session as a busy weekend lay ahead in Sligo.
    I had to get Sat 14 mile progression run in early. I haven’t done progression runs in a while. I like these runs as the ramp up in pace keep things interesting. Out the door without food (no need for it as I was well carbed up from night before). Aim was 4 miles @ 7min then next 4 @ 06:45 & then @ 06:30 with last 2 @ 06:15. Session went well though was soaked through by mile 2 and all the splits were quicker than I planned. Good to get more speed into the legs. Then spent 7 hrs in the B.O.G. Hammers got a fecking hammering.
    Sunday’s long bike was fine even after more than sufficient Arthur’s with the old man the night before. Nice to bike into new territory. Headwind did keep speed down and back ached from 65km. Definitely down to the hard labour the day before!

I’m not looking forward to the weeks ahead.
    There is a 3 week slog to come, then a recovery week then another 3 week more followed by a 2 week taper. Motivation is low.

Weekly Summary 05/08/12

Mon: Early am. 6.4 mile run (06:50m/m). HR129
    Tue: Evening 4.0km pool swim. 3.80km in 72:48 Pace 1:54/100M. 200m WD
    Wed: Evening: 9 mile steady run (06:40m/m) HR 140
    Thur: Early am. 51.5km bike commute to work @ 30.4kph. HR 125
    PM . 55km bike home 28.5kph. HR 111
    Fri: Early am. 7.5 mile run (06:54m/m). HR134
    PM. 2.5km pool swim. Pace 1:52 /100m.
    Sat: Early am. 180km long bike. Pace 29.4kph. HR132
    112 Mile bike
    Sun – AM Long run. 18.2 mile steady run (06:31 m/m) HR 144.
    Long Run

Totals:
    Run x 4 – 41.1 miles. Time 4hr 35 min
    Bike x 3– 287km. Time - 9h 44min
    Swim x 2 – 6.5km. Time - 2hr 04min

Total Time – 16r 23 min.

Good week after a low mojo start.

In the last few weeks I’ve been rescheduling / or cancelling sessions, this usually happens at the start of the week. MOJO has been a bit low but at least I’m getting the key sessions in.
    I am a bit worried that all of my training is (90% +) is aerobic or below <149bpm. I have no harder / VO2 max sessions in there. Not sure if I need to address this.
    Anyway even if the week did get off to a slow start overall I am very happy the way it went.
    My Mon evening swim got pushed to Tues and the am Tues run was postponed. Going back to the swim I didn’t intend that to go the full 3.8km distance but I was happy I did in the end. I did tire a little in the last 250m but at least full distance is under my belt.
    I squeezed in only one more swim – Fri. The only blip on the week was no OW but I did get in a very decent 3.25km OW yesterday.
    I went back to the commute to work again on Thurs. There was a nasty headwind again on route home. You can see from low HR (111) that I wasn’t really trying or interested.
    For Saturdays long bike I met up with Jackyback. This meeting was long overdue. Conditions threatened the session and we faced wet roads and unfavourable conditions up to Baltinglas (100km into bike for me). It didn’t take much to convince JB into thinking about doing the full loop of 180km. The wind originally from the south then veered east then north on our anticlockwise course, fecking Irish weather. We were happy to share the pace duties until we met up with Beepbeep67 whom we met nit far from Aughrim.
    This was a really good bike although I had wet feet for the majority of the 6hrs.
    From here on in the long bikes will be TT focused and a little shorter in duration with a run off the bike thrown in too.

I hooked up with the Eritrean and the Ethiopian early Sunday for my first real long run to date. 11 miles behind them the Eritrea decided to push the pace and myself only into my 2nd mile. The legs felt ok though after Sat’s long bike. After the first 6 miles I eased back (first 6 @06:37) and let the Berlin bound cousin’s motor on. Expect my club 2012 marathon best be beaten the same day I face into my 10hr+ day. Those lads mean business.
    With conditions warming up (could also have been the brutal Chinese or Peroni’s and red wine the night before) I had to take on some fluid in Ashford on the return home. The legs felt strong on the return 9 miles @06:23. I can take good positives from this as I don’t think in any of my long marathon long runs to date were as quick. The bike work does not seem to be having any negative effects on my running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Abhainn wrote: »
    Tue: Evening 4.0km pool swim. 3.80km in 72:48 Pace 1:54/100M.

MOJO has been a bit low but at least I’m getting the key sessions in.

Jesus man, you certainly are getting the key work done. Your running and biking are (as expected) top rate, but that swim shouldn't go unnoticed either. That's surely a fair bit of improvement, in a short time? Probably translates to a 65min or faster wetsuited race day.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Jesus man, you certainly are getting the key work done. Your running and biking are (as expected) top rate, but that swim shouldn't go unnoticed either. That's surely a fair bit of improvement, in a short time? Probably translates to a 65min or faster wetsuited race day.

Happy with swim improvement alright KG.
    65 mins maybe with perfect conditions and good draft all the way
    Would take you arm off for a 70min time. Not sure if that is acheivable based on the half IM swim time of 34.5min. Though Catweazle thinks that was long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Though Catweazle thinks that was long

Thats what I keep saying to myself ;)

It was deffo longer than the previous two years in my opinion - as we used to go straight out to the first marker, whereas although they turned it around they did have you cutting out to the right before coming back home. Whether the previous years were short is another matter altogether

Interested might have a better idea as i assume he can gauge his swim pace to the seconds although I was talking to another fish after it and he was a minute slower than the previous year and hes flying this year.

Hard to speculate for Barcelona with an ocean swim - its prone to swells allegedly so a choppy day and all bets are off as regards time. Although you have come on a tonne in a short space of time in the water.

Are you finding the cycling giving any benefits to your runs?

Fri 3.8k swim, 75 mins

Impressive swim time KG. Nice target for me now

Tue: Evening 4.0km pool swim. 3.80km in 72:48 Pace 1:54/100M. 200m WD

I knew you were competitive Joe, but ye gods I had no idea just how competitive! Right, you've just bitch slapped me with your swim goggles, 6x:xx for 3.8k pool coming up next week :D

catweazle wrote: »
    Are you finding the cycling giving any benefits to your runs?

Benefits, is hard to answer. But I can confirm that the biking has had no negative impact to my running. No tight hamstrings or the like.
    And as you can see from last week I had no problem in throwing out a solid run run the day after a 6hr bike

During 2012 London marathon build up I incorported a weekly a long bike into the schedule - up to 4hrs. Great for the diesel engine and loosing some puppy fat. :)

I knew you were competitive Joe, but ye gods I had no idea just how competitive! Right, you've just bitch slapped me with your swim goggles, 6x:xx for 3.8k pool coming up next week :D

Ah yes that is a nice figure dude.
    Its all about settling acheivable goals though and before you know it new targets then have to be set.
    It is true that your 75min 3.8k was a goal of mine.
    And another, to beat a certain 2:36:45 for the marathon which was also accomplished
    There's one more I chasing now. And its the hardest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Ah yes that is a nice figure dude.
    Its all about settling acheivable goals though and before you know it new targets then have to be set.
    It is true that your 75min 3.8k was a goal of mine.
    And another, to beat a certain 2:36:45 for the marathon which was also accomplished
    There's one more I chasing now. And its the hardest

Does it begin with a 9 and end up with you knackered crossing the finish line:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I think it starts with a 9:4x :D

Weekly Summary 12/08/12
    Mon: PM 3.25km OW in 1:05. Pace 2:00 /100m. HR134
    Tue: Rest
    Wed: Early am. 7.52 mile run (06:54m/m).
    Evening: 2.75km pool swim with 2.5km @ 1:52 /100 pace. 250m CD.
    Thur: Lunch. 7.05 mile run (06:38m/m). HR146 (23C)
    Evening: 2.65 OW swim. Pace 1:53/100m. HR 124
    Fri: Early am. 51.5km TT bike commute to work @ 31.4kph. HR 126
    PM plan – 54km TT Bike home @ 30.9kph. HR 126
    Sat: Long Brick session. TT Bike 151km @ 31.1kph HR127.
    Long TT Bike
    10km run (04:12m/km). HR 145
    Sun – AM Long run. 20 miles @ 06:52m/m. HR 139

Totals:
    Run x 4 – 40.8 miles. Time 4hr 38 min
    Bike x 3– 256km. Time - 8h 16min
    Swim x 3 – 8.65km. Time - 2hr 48min

Total Time – 15hr 36 min.

6 weeks 5 days to race. Only 60 + sessions to go
    It was never a good idea putting off Monday’s OW swim till that late in the day. After 5hrs labour in the garden which included climbing trees and the necessary pruning, my arms were pretty much hanging off me during the last 400m of the swim. Up till then the pace went well. The arms were still a bit sore for Wed and also Thurs sessions.
    I wasn’t looking forward to the back end of the week. It was going to be heavy.
    Because of various logistical reasons I couldn’t commuter to work till Fri (I try and avoid the turbo) and the glorious conditions made that well worth while.
    Brick Sat - I cursed a bit during the TT bike on Sat. Wind was forecast from SE to East increasing during the day. Get out early I said before the sea breeze settles in. The 72km to Enniscorthy was fine even though the breeze was mostly at 10 ‘clock – left shoulder. I had some shelter which was good. I reached the Wexford town in just under IM planned pace about 32.6kph and HR avg about 124.
    The headwind was a fecker on the return, well from about 75km to 110km. I cursed loudly, that twat, fcuk, crap wind. Average speed crept downward but at least I got some benefit from it the last 35 km or so.
    The change into the running leg wasn’t the quickest. (Had to agree to bring kiddles on bike ride and swim in the sea immediately after my return:).) But the run was fine and legs ok.
    The plan for Sunday’s long run was to go out at IM pace (7 min /m , 4:20/km) for first 10 miles and then pick things up a little. When the legs awoke after a few miles that’s exactly how things went. A very positive run, body felt strong and carried out in a comfortable aerobic effort without any fuel / water taken on.

Week ahead
    Another 16hr + week is scheduled but it will be probably get reduced due to the OH commitments with a crazy week at work.
    Looking like I may have to bring forward next week’s recovery week to this.

Another good week put down Joe, keep it going not long to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey!! Amazing stuff you're doing - wow. One question since I can't tell from these posts, when you swim in the pool do you ever do any short and spiffy timed speed sets?? Obviously whatever you are doing is working well for you, I'm just curious. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its getting embarrassing now! Another quality week Abhainn great stuff on the swim progress and 7 min pace off the long bike... well ... I wonder if you will trump Tunneys debut!!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey!! Amazing stuff you're doing - wow. One question since I can't tell from these posts, when you swim in the pool do you ever do any short and spiffy timed speed sets?? Obviously whatever you are doing is working well for you, I'm just curious. :)

Far from amazing stuff DD. First time doing this long event. So just trying to getting used to multiple sessions and longish hours. I'd say those experienced in this sport would say there is probably a element of greeness in my training. Bottom line though -whatever works

No fancy stuff in the pool at all, no swim aids. All my swimming is done on my own
    No speed sets either though I had planned on introducing these, 100's , 200's. However if I ever train for another long triathlon I will seriously look into taking these on board
    All my stuff is straight endurance swims. I monitor each 10 lap segment (250m) in these to keep me tuned in.
    Its getting embarrassing now! Another quality week Abhainn great stuff on the swim progress and 7 min pace off the long bike... well ... I wonder if you will trump Tunneys debut!!

Cheers Mike.
    Ah now don't think that would be possible.
    While you brought up the topic what is the man's debut time?

Weekly Summary 19/08/12
    Mon: Eve: 2.5km. Pool swim. Pace 1:56 /100m.
    Tue: Early am. 7.62 mile run (06:54m/m) HR 133.
    Wed: Evening: 61km TT bike. Speed 33.3kph. HR 120
    Thur: Lunch. 7.05 mile run (06:39m/m). HR138
    Evening: 3.8km pool swim in 72:04 with 3.25k in 60:10 (pace 1:51/100m)
    and 550m CD.
    Fri: Lunch. 7.05 mile run (06:39m/m). HR137
    Evening: 2.0km pool swim. Pace 1:53 / 100m
    Sat: Long TT bike 145km @ 32.4kph HR125.
    Sun: AM 13.4 mile run (06:49m/m) . HR 137

Totals:
    Run x 4 – 35.15 miles. Time 3h 58 min
    Bike x 2– 206km. Time - 6h 18min
    Swim x 3 – 8.30km. Time - 2hr 38min

Total Time – 12hr 55 min.

Happy Enough
    Even if the volume was reduced slightly last week I am satisfied how the week turned out.
    I wasn’t moving well at all in the pool during Monday session, actually it was a terrible session. It turned around well though for Thursday’s long swim. This was longer and faster than my intended workout. I was happy to exit the pool in just over 72 mins for the IM swim and that overall time included an easy WD last 550m.
    An easier 2k on Thur was planned but even though the arms were a bit heavy I was only in the for a tad over 37 min in total. With a bit of luck I will hope to get in a long OW this week.
    There were just 2 bikes this week but they turned out to be good. The legs felt really good in both. I had hoped to get to 150-160km for the long TT but due to leaving ½ hr late and picking up a bad puncture on the best section of road my time was cut short. This was close to planned IM pace. May have to re visit that split now.
    No run off the bike this week but that should be sorted this weekend.
    Nothing too special running wise to report. For whatever reason I wasn’t moving well during Sundays run.

Weekly Summary 26/08/12
    Mon: Rest
    Tue: Evening: 4.15km OW swim in 74 min. Thru 3.8km in high 67min. HR 121
    Wed: Evening. 10.4 mile steady run with 10 x 1 min up to 05:25m/m pace. HR 144. Pace
    06:26m/m
    Thur: Lunch. 7.05 mile run (06:45m/m). HR138
    Evening: 3.0km pool swim with 2.75k @ 1:53/100m) + 250m CD.
    Fri: Early am. 51.5km TT bike commute to work @ 30.3kph. HR 123
    PM plan – 53.5km TT Bike home @ 29.7kph. HR 123
    Sat: AM 19 mile run (06:47m/m) . HR 146
    19 mile run
    PM. Easy 2.1km pool swim in 42 min
    Sun: Long TT bike of 131km @ 31.6kph HR124.
    Empty Legs

Totals:
    Run x 3 – 36.45 miles. Time 4h 03 min
    Bike x 3– 236km. Time - 7h 38min
    Swim x 3 – 9.25km. Time - 2hr 44min

Total Time – 14hr 25 min.

Ready now but still 5 weeks to go
    It was a good doo last Sunday. I first started out reading the board sheets in the Porter House of the big smoke at lunch time, sipping away at my favourite tipples. It went on from there to that building with the odd looking front on the docks, and then after that onto a bloody boat. It finished in Zaytoons at midnight devouring a delicious donor. 6 weeks before an IM race. Good man me.
    Monday was a planned rest day, Tues morning wasn’t planned as rest but the water felt great that evening. I’m not sure where that swim came from. The distance was accurate. I had the intention of doing 3k and was happy enough putting off my first 3.8k swim to another time. But coming up to the 2k mark I was feeling great and I said fcuk it just get this over and done with. And that’s what I did. Then I remembered MCOS giving a good account of a 4km OW swim once. “Would that ever be possible for me”. So I ended up doing a little longer just to prove I could. My arms were hanging off me for the last 300-400m.
    Wednesdays evening run was good. I decided to throw in 1 min pick-ups at the start of each mile so that the legs remembered what it felt like to go that bit quicker.
    Thurs evening swim was fine as arms were still sore.
    It was great to have company at sunrise Fri for my commute to work. Beepbeep 67 then turned around and went back home. 100k + done before 10am!
    It was a monsoon for my trip home though. I got delayed around Marley park due to traffic with all the young ones in their summer clothes and fancy wellies. I still managed to make up time to bring avg speed up. I never biked 50k in such conditions.
    Saturdays long run was much harder than it should have been. Worse still was Sunday’s lone long TT bike. The legs were totally empty. The plan had been 145km but I turned at Ferns instead of Enniscorthy but still added 8k on at the end to bring it up to a 4hr bike. No off the bike run either.

All in all a fair week.
    If the race was 2 weeks away I’d be happy with where my preparation is to this point. Instead it is still 3 weeks to taper and I have to somehow manage to get through that last challenge before the real Challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great stuff Abhainn - all cooking very nicely.

I was skirting Marlay Park myself on Friday, (from the comfort of the car) and aside from the plethora of hot pants and wellies, I was admiring a few brave souls on bikes, working their way through the deluge - character-building.

Weekly Summary 02/09/12

Mon: Lunch. 3.6 mile recovery run (07:17m/m). HR127
    Evening: 3.0km pool swim with 2.75k @ 1:54/100m) + 250m CD.
    Tue: Rest
    Wed: Early am. 3.0km pool swim with 2.75k @ 1:53/100m) + 250m CD.
    AM:. 57km Wicklow hills bike @ 30.1kph. HR 131
    AM late: Run off bike 4.25 miles (06:40m/m) HR146
    Thur: Lunch. 7.05 mile run (06:51m/m). HR131
    Evening. 54km bike @ 31.0kph. HR 118
    Fri: Evening. 4k OW swim in 69:17. Pace 1:44/100m
    OW swim
    Sat: AM: Long TT bike of 151km @ 32.6kph HR12X.
    8.35km run off bike. Pace 04:11/km. HR151
    Sun: AM 21.3 mile long run (06:49m/m) . HR 142

Totals:
    Run x 5 – 41.4 miles. Time 4h 43 min
    Bike x 3– 262km. Time - 8h 23min
    Swim x 3 – 10km. Time - 3hr 04min

Total Time – 16hr 10 min.

Probably the best week yet
    Last week was a very solid one. There was even an unplanned rest day in there.
    I managed to go long in all 3 disciplines at the weekend and the result from that was a good boost in confidence.
    Wed was the first day back to school. I took the day off work but maximized the few free hours that were allowed to me. After the early morning 3k swim which I didn't really find enjoyable it was school time. Back home to drop Nicole the oldest who was going into 1st class at 9am and then Liam who is 3 to his first day at preschool 15 mins later. I rushed back home to be on the bike 20 mins later and a take in nice 57km ride over the Wicklow hills. With time short I got in a run off the bike, showered (2.5 min) and still be there to pick up Liam at 12:15 and then Nicole at 12:30. Great when a plan goes well. :)

The weekend started off very well with the 4k OW swim in Wicklow harbour Fri evening. Again I was just planning 3k but was going well and decided to round up to achieve a nice 10k total for the week.
    The long bike can be tough especially when you choose a route and then the headwind lasts for 70k, all the way to Ennsicorthy. I found 30-40k the worst section on Sat. I only managed an avg of 29.5 kph at the turn but this had crept up nicely by the finish. The run off the bike was too quick. Legs were fine. I was happy the temp was 20c as it made me fully aware that I will need to control this in 4 weeks. The first 5 -10k need to be much, much slower.
    Sunday was the longest run of the campaign. The quads were heavy in the first miles but there was always a couple extra gears there if needed.

Weekly Summary 24/06/12

14 weeks to go - Where am I at now?

The last 6 weeks loads are:
    Week 1. 13:13hrs (this week)
    Week 2. 12:06hrs
    Week 3. 13:55hrs
    Week 4. 9:42hrs
    Week 5. 12:55hrs
    Week 6. 11:25hrs

Barcelona - Race Target:
    Swim 1:15 – Still alot to do
    Bike 5:30 - Achievable
    Run 3:10 - Achievable

Where am I now?
    The last 6 weeks loads are:
    Week 1. 16:10hrs (this week)
    Week 2. 14:25hrs
    Week 3. 12:55hrs
    Week 4. 15:36hrs
    Week 5. 16:23hrs
    Week 6. 9:26hrs

Barcelona - Race Target Revised:
    Swim 1:05–1:10. Achievable
    Bike 5:20-5:25 Achievable
    Run 3:05-3:10. Achievable

Two Items I am not happy with:

Bike: Don't think I am as strong as I thought I would be at this stage
    Weight: 2kgs over target (70kg)

• Advertisement

You just keep on raising that bar, each week gets tougher and tougher. Savage stuff. I'd say you'll be looking at 65 for the swim, great progress.
    showered (2.5 min)
    You could shave a little time off this, don't prioritize some areas over others;)

Motoring nicely Joe and projected splits look realistic although i think you are slightly quicker than you suggest on the bike. If you are holding 32/33kmph on crap Irish roads you will be gliding along at +2/3kmph for same effort in Barca as the road surface is fantastic.
    I will e-mail you about the weekend long bike later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Pretty impressive stuff here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Barcelona - Race Target Revised:
    Swim 1:05–1:10. Achievable
    Bike 5:20-5:25 Achievable
    Run 3:05-3:10. Achievable

9:30-9:45.... Wow fast target

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

think you can go sub 3 on run leg ready

9:30-9:45.... Wow fast target

If all goes to plan I would be hoping to get close to that time range
    Seres wrote: »
    think you can go sub 3 on run leg ready

Thanks Seres but most likely too difficult.
    I know what it is like to run in 25c heat over 26 miles. Only a handful of pros went sub 3 in the last few years there

I know what it is like to run in 25c heat over 26 miles. Only a handful of pros went sub 3 in the last few years there

There is no shade on the run in Barca so your cooking nicely in that 25c:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Iron-dad wrote:
    I took the day off work but maximized the few free hours that were allowed to me. After the early morning 3k swim which I didn't really find enjoyable it was school time. Back home to drop Nicole the oldest who was going into 1st class at 9am and then Liam who is 3 to his first day at preschool 15 mins later. I rushed back home to be on the bike 20 mins later and a take in nice 57km ride over the Wicklow hills. With time short I got in a run off the bike, showered (2.5 min) and still be there to pick up Liam at 12:15 and then Nicole at 12:30. Great when a plan goes well.
    I think we should change your username to Iron-dad. Much more befitting. Incredible training Joe (some impressive long run at the end of a tough week). I wouldn't worry about the weight, you haven't a pick on you, and if it's not dropping after a 16 hour week, it sounds like you are already pretty much at your stable race weight.

Weekly Summary 09/09/12

Runs in KM's for the benefit of JB!

Mon: Lunch. 5.65km recovery run (04:37m/km).
    Evening: 2.75km pool swim with 2.5k @ 1:56/100m) + 250m CD.
    Tue: Evening. 54km TT bike @ 33.3kph. HR 118
    Wed: Evening: Turbo 75 mins. 40km. Watts 204. HR119
    Thur: Lunch. 11.3k run with 7 x 1 min pick up’s. (04:07m/km). HR141
    Late evening: 2.75km pool swim with 2.5k @ 1:54/100m) + 250m CD.
    Fri: Early am. 14.6km run (04:11m/km). HR138
    Evening. 3.6k OW swim in 70:50. Pace 1:58/100m
    Sat: AM: Long TT bike of 161km @ 31.2kph HR133.
    5km run off bike. Pace 04:16/km. HR146
    Sun: AM 31.0k long run with pick up’s. (04:13km/m) . HR 140

Totals:
    Run x 5 – 67.6km. Time 4h 46 min
    Bike x 3– 256km. Time - 8h 04min
    Swim x 3 – 9.1km. Time - 2hr 58min

Total Time – 15hr 50 min.

Its always good when twice in the space of 24hrs you get that head to foot look and then follows “you’ve lost weight“ . In reality I’ve lost hardly any since the last time I met both lads but it’s good for confidence.
    With another decent week behind me I am itching for the bid day to arrive. I was worried at the start of the week at not hitting my pre planned sessions as herself was working late Wed & Thur.

With the evenings getting shorter I managed to squeeze in a decent bike from home to Kilmac and back on Tues. Not sure if it was the fast approaching darkness or DJ Sash in my ears ;) but the pace came easy and I really enjoyed this bike. The legs felt great after the weekend.
    I only managed a late turbo on Wed after the kids were asleep. Still not a fan of this but when you pull the machine to the outside it does make the session less of an ordeal.

Sarah got back for 8pm Thur and off I went for a late swim. While the session was ok I wasn’t quite hitting each 250m split target though.

The late Thurs swim was quickly followed up by an enjoyable early am run. The sunrise was fantastic over the Irish sea but the combination of the late and early sessions meant my OW swim time was well down later that afternoon compared to recent OW sessions. Analyzing each 250m split my pace slowed down well over the last 1500m.

So I was not the freshest heading in to my last long TT bike. With good company in Jackyback and a new route to keep me busy at least the mental sides of things was sorted for the day. Well JB’s route took me to towns and villages I’ve never been, cheers JB! The undulating route was I no way boring or easy. The poor youngster’s legs were regretting his middle of the night Thurs long run though. The increasing headwind in sections during the last 50km wasn’t very welcome but all in all a good 5hrs+ in the saddle.
    The 5k run off felt in control. If that lad could pull himself away from biking and swimming and concentrate on a 10 week marathon plan a sub 3hrs marathon would be well within his reach. Not a bother.
    ;)
    I wasn’t really forward to the final long run in my plan. Originally I planned 18 miles or so (piece of pxss compared to a 21 miler+!) but I felt every good right from the start which was surprising as of late as normally it has taken me a good 30 mins to get the legs moving well. Maybe it was the last long run effect or could be the new shoes, but I felt very good in this. I threw in a few pick ups and the 2 hrs + flew by.

So there you have it. Never again will I enter a 20 week training plan for this type of event. I will go into that maybe a bit more before the race

Looking forward to this week I will reduce the long bike and run next weekend to region of 100-110k & 25km respectively. I remember only some months ago when those were challenging targets for a weekend. I will try and fit in one more 3.8k swim before the final week.
    Feeling good (well apart from a bit tired today) and starting to ensure everything is in place for the trip.

So as one race preparation ends I look forward to another one next April as today is the first day of registration for the Boston marathon.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Another great week Joe. :cool: Enjoy the taper and stay healthy.

I'm very envious of you guys heading to Calella!!!

Advertisement