Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Week ending 28th February 10

Mon: Rest Day
    Felt an extra rest day was due.

Tues: Feeling good again
    7.1 miles at 07:01 pace. HR 133.
    Conditions were unkind with terrible wind chill and snow for half the run.
    But body and legs felt good after yesterdays’ rest day. This was an enjoyable run overall.

Wed: 1/2 Mile Intervals
    8.1miles total in 52:52. HR 149. 06:31 / mile average.
    This was made up of 1 mile warm up then 6 x ½ mile intervals with 1/2 mile recovery and final 1.5 miles.
    With it been very wet under foot made this made the intervals hard and feet were soaked. The last 3 intervals were tough which was partially due to the profile of these. Average interval = 2:44

Thurs: Another enjoyable Thur Run
    8.1miles at 06:58 pace. HR 137
    Cold conditions but favourable compared to yesterday’s inclemency. This was a relaxed comfortable run.

Fri: Rest

Sat: MP run
    11miles at 06:17 pace. HR 158
    Well the intended pace was 06:25 / mile. I don’t have a Gamin so didn’t guage the first 2 miles pace very well and ended up been faster than planned. But decided to hold at this pace for remainder of run. A couple of faster miles at the end felt good.

Sun: Last long run
    20 miles at 06:56 pace. HR 143
    Definitely felt yesterdays outing in my legs. In these cold mornings it can take up to 5 miles before I’m warmed up. Had company from miles 4 – 6 miles with a local guy and this felt it shortened the run a little.
    First 10 miles were at 07:08 pace and last 10 were at 06:45.

Weekly miles total = 54.3

Weeks summary:
    This was a good final week of training and together with a good taper should see me in good form in 13 days.
    I have achieved my target weight of getting into the 72’s (72.8kg), which is lightest since my teens and it is down from 75kg in min Jan and last Oct. With further reduction in miles this week I just need to make sure I lower the calorie intake a little in the coming days.
    But the fall weight is not really down to a change in diet. On certain days like Fri and also Mondays I eat like a horse and it’s not always 100% good stuff. With a sweet tooth in the evenings and some wine and beers at the weekends I’m certain if abstained from those I would be close to 70kg.
    But you need some little rewards in this game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck in Cyprus Abhainn,i look forward to the report

and yes....we do deserve treats in this game...even though im off them for lent...but not the liquid ones !

Week ending 7th March 10
    Mon: Recovery
    6 miles at 07:13 pace. HR 129.
    Beautiful day for a recovery run.

Tues:
    6.miles at 06:58 pace. HR 134.

Wed: Tempo

7.1miles with 2.5 miles tempo at 05:45pace in 46:15. HR 145. 06:30 / mile average.
    Grand outing.

Thurs

6miles at 06:49 pace. HR 135
    Beautiful day. Good “bouncy” run. Comfortable

Sat: Cheating
    6 miles at MP 06:17 pace. HR 153
    Slightly quicker than marathon pace. This felt like cheating.
    Comon running 6 miles on a Sat? A 38 minute session! Joke!

Sun: Cruising under a super blue sky
    12.5 miles at 06:48 pace. HR 143
    Biting cold but what a sky. Lovely run, ticking over nicely.

Ate loads of crap at Nicoles 4th birthday party bash later.

Weekly miles total = 43.6

Summary:
    The week gone by was very satisfactory. No usual taper madness related conditions.
    Runs are planned for Tues, Wed and Thurs (early). We then travel to London on Thursday where we stay with my sister and family. Friday morning we fly to Paphos where we will be staying with my in laws.
    On Sat I’ll drive the marathon route and run a few miles around the finish area in Paphos at the time I’m hoping to finish the race. Hopefully I won’t be too shocked at the warm conditions compared to the freezing weather here over last few months.
    Hydration will be the key next Sunday though. Forecast is that temperatures will start to creep upwards at the week progresses in Paphos where the marathon finishes. Predicted high is 23C by the lunchtime.
    I know I will love and hate this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

best of luck to you abhainn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Abhainn wrote: »
    Sun: Last long run
    20 miles at 06:56 pace. HR 143
    Definitely felt yesterdays outing in my legs. In these cold mornings it can take up to 5 miles before I’m warmed up. Had company from miles 4 – 6 miles with a local guy and this felt it shortened the run a little.
    First 10 miles were at 07:08 pace and last 10 were at 06:45.

That would be me - best of luck in Cyprus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Abhainn sorry if this has been answered already but i was looking at last years results in cyprus. Whats your goal for the race?
    Time wise and position wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Very best wishes Abhainn.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Abhainn sorry if this has been answered already but i was looking at last years results in cyprus. Whats your goal for the race?
    Time wise and position wise.

Last two years a 2:56 won the race. But the course record of 2:41 set in 2007 is safe from me at least.
    I think I'm in better form than my 2:47 in Dublin. I should be confident with a number of my back to back long runs just over the 3hr marathon pace and the 10 mile PB in Dungarvan race showing I have some speed in the legs . Though I would have liked more speed work done.
    I don't think I'll be chasing that target due to a number of factors including the weather conditions. Also there will be few fellow runners around my pace so I'm expecting that I will be running on my own for the majority of the race. Low 2:50's should be a good day at the office.
    But as usual I am not underestimating the challenge of the marathon.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    That would be me - best of luck in Cyprus!

Cheers BeepBeep67. Normally it would be putting a name to a face rather than vice versa.
    Didn't see you around Ashford at the weekend. You must have been on the trails you found a few weeks earlier:rolleyes:

Last two years a 2:56 won the race. But the course record of 2:41 set in 2007 is safe from me at least.
    I think I'm in better form than my 2:47 in Dublin. I should be confident with a number of my back to back long runs just over the 3hr marathon pace and the 10 mile PB in Dungarvan race showing I have some speed in the legs . Though I would have liked more speed work done.
    I don't think I'll be chasing that target due to a number of factors including the weather conditions. Also there will be few fellow runners around my pace so I'm expecting that I will be running on my own for the majority of the race. Low 2:50's should be a good day at the office.
    But as usual I am not underestimating the challenge of the marathon.

How many chances wold you have in a lifetime of actually winning a marathon ?
    Best of luck abhainn.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Very best of luck Abhainn. Hope the weather stays cool for you. Fingers crossed for a good result.

yeah good luck buddy. All the best:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

All the best tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be a nice cloudy day.

Week ending 14th March

Mon: Rest Day

Tues: 6 miles at 06:50 pace. HR 138.
    Nice good . Felt good

Wed:
    7.1miles in 46:24. HR 149. 06:32 / mile average.
    2 miles at 7 min pace 3 miles at 06:13 pace with last 2 at 06:35 pace.
    The legs wanted a fairly brisk session so it had to be done. Last 2 miles were supposed to be slower

Thurs:
    6 miles at 07:04 pace. HR 134
    Pre 7am run. Bloody freezing, -3 and couldn't warm up
    We caught a late afternoon flight to London where we stayed with my sister and family.

Mod morning flight to Larnaca saw us eventually arrive at our destination by 7pm. Thanks Pops:D
    Earlier picked up a couple of Tri mags at airport, much cheaper than at home. Was hoping to read them cover to cover,but ended up trying to entertain 2 young kids on a packed flight which wasn't easy.

Sat:
    Registered for race at 11am. I'm number "2"
    A few around including a couple of lean dudes with IM Lanzorate T shirts. No time to chat though.
    Checked out race finish which is at an old fort by the sea in Paphos. Really nice. It was busy with tourists but managed to get in a 25 min run in good conditions. Temp around 20C. Forecast for tomorrow is high of 23C and light winds. Hopefully some cloud until noon:)

Best of luck again abhainn...early to bed tonight and go for it in the morning !

So..... *cough*..... Any news? Hope it went great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Woo Hoo - just got a text to say he won - no other stats yet.

Outstanding... Though never really thought it was in doubt.

BeepBeep67 no second guess who told you;)

Yes me has won the Cyprus Marathon, my first race win in 22 years:) in a very warm Cyprus.
    Finish time 2:51:25. Lead basically from start to finish, 2nd half just a min slower than first.
    It was a fantastic feeling having a police convoy ahead and behind me for the majority of the race.
    More tomorrow.
    Some more relaxing beers are required now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Yes me has won the Cyprus Marathon, my first race win in 22 years:) in a very warm Cyprus.
    Finish time 2:51:25. Lead basically from start to finish, 2nd half just a min slower than first.
    It was a fantastic feeling having a police convoy ahead and behind me for the majority of the race.
    More tomorrow.

Well done excellent running that is some time enjoy yourself tonight you deserve it
    ;)

• Advertisement

More tomorrow.

Magical stuff Abhainn...
    You must be in the top 0.00000001 of the population ....unreal.
    Enjoy the rest and beers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Superb stuff, well done!

Brilliant well done bud:)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Very impressive, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Winner! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Whatever about the time (even though it was another flyer) man you WON A MARATHON!! Just when I was blown away by KCs log I read this... that must be some feeling to have.

Sweeeeeeeeet!!!!!!! And leading from start to finish OMG what an adrenalin rush for 3 flippin hours :eek:

You the man Abhainn... you the man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Incredible. Well done.

You reckon you could have run it faster if you'd been challenged? Sounds like it was an easy run for you given what you ran in Dublin. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Savage running, truely well deserved, enjoy the rest off your holiday when you come back down to earth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

what can i say Abhainn, absolutely fantastic run and result
    i can only imagine the high you must be on now, enjoy and savour it
    look forward to the full report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great news for the 2nd weekend in a row. Very well done Abhainn. A testament to the hard work you've put in.

Advertisement