Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Super stuff Joe. Will be very interested to see how you go. You deserve a great one based on your training to date.

Ps don't let the triathlon pussies convert you to the metric system, head is wrecked mentally converting paces to the great imperial system :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

TRR wrote: »
    Ps don't let the triathlon pussies convert you to the metric system, head is wrecked mentally converting paces to the great imperial system :)

Jesus TRR you must be old, convert to new money already you dinosaur:)

Jesus TRR you must be old, convert to new money already you dinosaur:)

ha ha, just stuck in my old ways. I've been translating everything running related to miles per minute since I was nine or ten. I even pace off mile splits in a 10K but funnily enough now I think of it I use km splits in a 5k. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

TRR wrote: »
    Super stuff Joe. Will be very interested to see how you go. You deserve a great one based on your training to date.

Cheers TRR. I've just moved over to the other side for a little while. See you at DM - at the start line ;)
    Surprised your brain can't compute- yeah hard to teach old dog and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Rumor has it you might be doing Boston?

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Rumor has it you might be doing Boston?

Yes Dory. Looking forward to it. Bucket list and all that. Will be chasing a good time too.

Abhainn wrote: »
    Yes Dory. Looking forward to it. Bucket list and all that. Will be chasing a good time too.

Me too. Maybe we can hook up for a drink or jusr a quick hello.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Me too. Maybe we can hook up for a drink or jusr a quick hello.

You bet:). Maybe a drink or 2!

Weekly Summary 16/09/12

Mon: Rest
    Tue: Lunch. 6.7km recovery run (Pace 04:19m/km). HR 131
    Evening: 2.5km pool swim with 2.5k @ 1:56/100m) & 500m CD.
    Wed: Evening. 54km TT bike @ 33.6kph. HR 129
    Thur: Lunch. 11.3k run (Pace 04:12m/km). HR139
    Evening: 3.2.km OW swim in 55:40. Pace 1:45/100m. HR 130
    OW
    Fri: Early am. 12km run (04:14m/km). HR136
    Sat: AM: Long TT bike of 121km @ 32.5kph HR129. TT bike
    6.2km run off bike. Pace 04:12/km. HR147
    Sun: AM 26.6k long run. (04:13km/m) . HR 140 Long Run
    PM. 2.5km pool swim with 2.25k @ 1:51/100m & 250m CD.

Totals:

Run x 5 – 62.8km. Time 4h 26 min
    Bike x 2– 175km. Time - 5h 19min
    Swim x 3 – 8.7km. Time - 2hr 42min

Total Time – 12hr 27 min.

I think my biggest problem for this race prep is getting out of the bed for early morning runs. Because these are not key sessions I tend to reschedule them. If it was a bike or swim I would not postpone them. So, this weeks early morning run was eventually completed by Fri. I was buzzing after it.

Overall again this was another good week. Volume was down a couple hours from the last few weeks.
    I managed to squeeze in another good bike before darkness on Wed. Due to a moderate headwind I just averaged over 30 kph on the outbound stretch to Kilkroney near Bray. With a reducing tailwind on the return home I set myself the little challenge of not letting speed go lower than 30kph on all the long drags and hills. That was fun but testing in places. A good workout.

I pulled forward the OW this week to Thurs evening due to some hrs of tough labour planned for in the garden on Sat
    I had company in Kurt Godel, but he's like a fish these days and we only swam briefly together during the first and last laps of the harbour. I found this good again and the effort indicates the promise of a good swim on the 30th. I can only hope conditions in the Mediterranean will be favorable on the day and that there won’t be too much slapping going on.

I had planned an easy turbo Fri evening. But a combination of been tired and very hungry after bringing the kids to swimming lessons, this session was quickly binned. I wasn’t too bothered. A longish bike on Sat awaited.
    This went fine and so did the run off it. There was not much rest though as I was well fecked after 4 hrs hard labour in the garden and arms hanging off me. Had a few scary moments up a ladder with an increasing heavy hedge trimmer. There are still a good number of hours before I can say job completed.

The legs felt light and good on Sundays longish run.
    And surprisingly the planned easy swim in the afternoon went well. My arms were very tight and un responsive during the first 500m though. A quick stretch and a focus on correct finger separation (thanks to KG’s article) during the pull and also trying to do everything else well, seen this turn better as the session continued. The last few 100's averaged 1:48.

So all in all I’m feeling good now and positive about the race. I just need to maintain that for another 13 days.

Weekly Summary 23/09/12

Mon: Rest
    Tue: Lunch. 8.2km run (Pace 04:14m/km). HR 131
    Evening: 2.75km pool swim with 2.5k @ 1:50/100m) & 250m CD.
    Wed Evening. 54km TT bike @ 33.0kph. HR 126
    Thur: Lunch. 11.3k run with 5 x 90 sec @ 03:25/km (Pace avg 04:05m/km). HR140
    Fri: PM. Planned 3-4km OW swim abandoned after 600m
    Sat: AM: TT bike 61km @ 34.5kph HR133.
    6.1km run off bike. Pace 04:12/km. HR138
    Late PM. OW swim 4k. Pace 1:59/100m. HR 138
    Sun: AM 21.2k steady run. (04:13km/m) . HR 143

Totals:
    Run x 4 – 46.8km. Time 3h 16 min
    Bike x 2– 115km. Time - 3h 23min
    Swim x 2.25 – 7.35km. Time - 2hr 27min

Total Time – 9hr 06 min.

I maintained a decent effort across the 3 disciplines during the last week. Hopefully these will have sharpened me up while not fatiguing me too much for Sun next

The Tues pool swim felt really good. As the session progressed I felt stronger as each 250m split was lowered.
    For the normal Wed evening bike the darkness really came in quickly during the last 20k of this. Again this felt good

Time for one last opening up of the legs for Thurs run.
    I met up with Kurt Gobel then for OW on Fri. Sunny conditions but the wind was from NE so the swell was bad even inside the harbour. KG wasn't too keen on going in, while my view was to go in for none lap and see how it felt. Got in and it was sort of fun for a while getting thrown about. Had enough after one lap and then got out. I suppose I was a bit of a wuss as the other lad went round 3 more times!

With virtually a rest day on Fri I was feeling fresh for the last brick on Sat. Again legs felt really good on the run off. Later I was keen to make up my abandoned swim from Fri and just happened to meet KG again while throwing on the wet suit.
    I had intended on 3k swim and perhaps stretch to 4k if feeling ok. Even though I felt I was catching the water well my pace was well down on what I expected. However I held the pace and gap between my companion and me stayed steady throughout. Stubborn as I am I decided on a 5th lap (not sure if KG was so keen) but it one I shouldn't have done. My left arm was hanging off me during the last 500m. Anyway session done.

So that's it folks. 19 weeks of decent commitment. At times I thought this week would never come. Let’s hope it’s hardened me up well for the race.

We (family in tow + a couple of others) travel out on the red eye Thurs morning. Looking forward to meeting the two ladies (Jackyback & MCOS) who I hope will lend me a hand putting me two wheels back together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Brilliant consistency over this training cycle, you're in great shape for CB. I've seen first hand the huge improvements you've made in the swim, and if that's supposed to be your weak discipline, you'll have a great race altogether. Best of luck out there mate.

Your training has been about as solid as they come and you deserve to have an amazing race day. I wish you all the best and hope you exceed your expectations. Race/pace strong and smart, then kill the run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great stuff Joe - all coming together nicely - stay away from the prawns the night before and you'll hammer it:)

Best of luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

...and you've access to the fridge to help with the celebrations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

MCOS wrote: »
    Welcome back Abhainn, busy year ahead I see. Looking forward to following your progress :)Oh how I'd love to have your run speed and endurance :cool: Best if luck man, no doubt you will smash every target in sight again...

Nothing really I can say that hasn't been said already :). Best of luck and enjoy the trip. Will be rooting for ye all over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

This is one race report I can't wait to read :) Best of luck with this and enjoy - remember to smile for the finish line camera.

Good luck joe and most importantly I hope you really enjoy it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Joe. No doubt you'll absolutely smash it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

All the best Joe, when you signed up I was wondering would you put as much work into the swim and bike as you have always done for the running.

No worries on that front, you have put in a power of work since London!

Hope you have a great days racing and a better few days holidaying with the family after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck Joe. I look forward to tracking the race within the race on the day!

• Advertisement

Well thanks all for the good wishes. It is really good for moral.:D
    I am going into the unknown but hopefully I can put what experience I have to good use.

Some her think that there will be a race within a race. Well thats not what Ii was planning on, but then again the other two girls will probably say that also.:p

Anyway the two younsters have a 10 min start on me ;). Nothing like having a target though

This week so far say an easy 6 miler on Monday following up with a steady 1.75k swim last night. Water feels good again
    Hoping to get out on the bike for an hour later.

Had a good rub down this morning. Seems my left shoulder was in a bit of a mess. The correction bloody hurt. At least it explains the issue I had at the end of Sat OW swim.

I have seen first hand how strong you are on the bike, the swim improvements speak for themselves and we all know how good your running is. I am expecting a big race from you, no pressure ye big aul wan:). I look forward to doing battle along the coast of Calella, last one home gets the beer in.

Very best of luck Joe you have worked hard and deserve a fantastic result and race experience. Now enough of the soppy ****, gonna kick yer a$$:)

Race no 1401 for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Anyway the two younsters have a 10 min start on me ;). Nothing like having a target though

Like the headstart will do anything for us :rolleyes:

See you in the morning Joe. Bring porridge and TI card if you have one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Fair play Abhainn, the day has nearly arrived - give it socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I met up with Kurt Gobel then for OW on Fri. Sunny conditions but the wind was from NE so the swell was bad even inside the harbour. KG wasn't too keen on going in, while my view was to go in for none lap and see how it felt. Got in and it was sort of fun for a while getting thrown about. Had enough after one lap and then got out. I suppose I was a bit of a wuss as the other lad went round 3 more times!

I read the conditions from the other two's logs, sounds like mighty fun out there at the moment! You should have stayed in for the practice... but we'll call it saving yourself for the real swells;) May as well pass on what I learned from our swim that day- forget about bilateral breathing, and instead only breath every second stroke, on the side the waves ain't coming from:)

(although I'm sure it'll calm down on the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

have a great race joe - you've definitely done the hard work and logged some really consistent training...........enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Fantastic result Joe - you represented the aul lads in fine style in the Boardsie battle:)

chapeau!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Great performance , very solid splits , hope you are pleased , you will be back to nail the sub -10 im sure , twill be no problem to ya . Look forward to race report when you recover

• Advertisement

Great stuff joe. Well done. Now enough with this pussy footing around and get your log back to the enlightened side for a crack at Boston 2013 :)

Advertisement