Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Sat 9th Feb AM
    8.87 mile run @ 06:47 / mile. HR 149
    Steady run. As you can see HR more than 10BPM up on what it should be

Sun 10th Feb AM
    10.73 mile run @ 07:14 /mile. HR 143
    I had company from Dom and Fin on this. It seemed we escaped the worse of the rain. It was 2 laps of a lumpy circuit. Leg a bit tight from 8 miles. Enjoyable and felt I moved well

Week thoughts:
    I am just happy to be back running regularly. Target for Boston may not be defined till race morning

Mon 11th Feb early AM
    Swim 2100m
    I felt ****e in this. Had a few pints watching most of the game yesterday and I’m putting it down to that.
    Couldn’t get going, felt like lead
    500WU (09:45) then 2 x (50m off 60 & 3 x100m off 2:00) The 50’s were coming in on a slow 50 sec and 100 in 1:50 or more. 500 WD (09:55). Horse dung. :mad:

Tues 12th Feb – Lunch
    7.75 miles @ 06:50 pace. HR 141
    I think I slightly overstretched the problem area last night when doing some excerises. Run felt ok till a guy nearly toppled me over at a gate way. I avoided him but my groin didn’t get the best from it.
    Loads of stretching
    I am postponing any quicker interval / tempo stuff for another week.

Wed: 13th Feb – Lunch

6 miles @ 06:53 pace. HR 142
    I held up well for this considering a “will I won’t I run” before hand. Still a long way to go to get fit.

Rest of week plan .

Thus:
    Early am run – 6 miles
    Swim evening (won’t be easy)

Fri:
    PM Turbo – 75 mins

Sat:
    Early AM Run 8 -10 miles

Sun
    AM : Longer run 13 -15 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Abhainn wrote: »
    I am postponing any quicker interval / tempo stuff for another week.

That's a good call. Lots you can do in the pool and bike in its place Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    That's a good call. Lots you can do in the pool and bike in its place Joe.

this is true - but maybe you could do a few strides at the end of your easy runs - just so your legs aren't shocked by quality work when it starts next week.

good to see you back running either way. best of luck with the buildup...

Thurs 14th Feb Early AM
    6.4 mile run @ 07:00 / mile. HR 140
    Groin very stiff to start and nearly returned home after 100m. It was 6am so it was probably still asleep. It loosened up a bit after the first mile but still a struggle. Stopped twice to stretch. Worried again

Evening
    Swim 3000m coached session
    400m descending warm-up in 07:15.
    4x200m off 3:50 (in 3:25-3:30) with 60 secs rest
    4x200m off 3:45 (3 in 3:30- 3:35, last one 3:40) 60 secs rest
    4x200m off 3:40 (in 3:35- 3:40, last 2 3:45)
    1x 200 WD
    This is starting to feel better. Got tired on last 200 of 2nd set and last set slower still with stroke shortening. Need to get up to 3 x swims per week

Fri 15th Feb
    Turbo PM.
    This was the toughest turbo so far. Feeling tired all day but got through this. Sweating buckets too.
    1 x 17 min @ 205, 2 x 21min @ 220 & 230 approx. Interval wattage is est..
    Detail –
    Distance - 42km
    Avg pace - 33.6kph
    Avg Watts – 220w
    Cad - 88,
    HR 130

Sat 16th Feb. Early am
    10 mile run @ 06:40 / mile. HR 149
    In contrast to Thur this was the opposite. Enjoyable run with some quicker miles in here. Some strides to finish – thanks Simon;)
    This is a session I am hoping to improve on each week with aim to progress up to 06:10-06:15 pace avg

Sun 17th Feb AM

15 mile run @ 06:38 /mile. HR 148
    Originally this was to be a progression run of 3 miles from 7:00 to 06:20 but thought to be wise after mile 3 and a quick stretch. Feeling more comfortable. Majority of mile in region 06:25-06:40

Week summary
    Swim x 2. Total 5,100m
    Bike turbo x1. 42km
    Run x 5, Total 45 miles

Weight 73.5kg. 1 kg up at same time 2012. Getting there

Next week plan
    As Boston is rapidly approaching focus will be on pushing up the overall running distance and try out a first long run in ages of 20 mile. Also I hope to begin some MP stuff reps
    I will continue with a couple of swims and 1 bike also

Excellent, he's back running! Good stuff over the weekend Joe, I didn't know you had all that training planned. Although it explains why you were coasting in the pool on Thurs;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You're some buachaill (to paraphrase you!). Thursday, you could barely run. Saturday - 6:40 pace, Sunday - 6:38. Two weeks from now, you'll but chucking out 15 milers in 5:50s. Great stuff Joe. Look after the groin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Two weeks from now, you'll but chucking out 15 milers in 5:50s.

I agree, you'll be amazed how the foundations of the last few years will stand to you and getting back to near full fitness won't be as hard as the initial effort it tool you to get there. Would love to arrange a weekend run with the sli cualann crew in the next few weeks if you pussies are up for it? I like to keep tabs on you old farts.

TRR wrote: »
    I agree, you'll be amazed how the foundations of the last few years will stand to you and getting back to near full fitness won't be as hard as the initial effort it tool you to get there. Would love to arrange a weekend run with the sli cualann crew in the next few weeks if you pussies are up for it? I like to keep tabs on you old farts.

Hope your right there TRR. Was doing 7 x 1km reps yesterday with intention of taking it steady (03:50/km pace). The 4th had come down to 03:18/km. Too hot too soon but happy to see some speed still there

Nothing like a 22 miler with 11 at MP in Wicklow before dawn
    Pronator and Krusty are big fans of those runs these days. You won't have much time to be taking ****e during those. We'll make a man of you yet ye jack ;)

Would love to arrange a weekend run with the sli cualann crew in the next few weeks if you pussies are up for it? I like to keep tabs on you old farts.
    We have a 20 miler planned tomorrow at 7:45am from Shankill?
    Didn't think so... Pussy. ;)

We have a 20 miler planned tomorrow at 7:45am from Shankill?
    Didn't think so... Pussy. ;)

Bit too late in the day for me. I'll have my run in the bag and a large trench or something manly like that done by the tine you OAPs are starting your run :) maybe in a week or two?

• Advertisement

Bit too late in the day for me. I'll have my run in the bag and a large trench or something manly like that done by the tine you OAPs are starting your run :) maybe in a week or two?

Could be a plan. I will need to confer with my team mates:)

Weekly Summary 24/02/13

Mon – Lunch – 7.05 mile run (06:44m/m) HR 141
    Tue – Early am. – 7.22 mile run (06:46m/m) HR 140
    Late PM – Swim 2600m. Sets and 400m TT in 07:14
    Wed – Lunch - 9.4 miles with 7 x 1km intervals (avg 03:33) HR 149
    Thur – Lunch. 6.0 mile run (06:54m/m) HR 137
    Eve – Swim coached session 1700m with 400m TT in 06:46
    Fri – Evening: Turbo 75 mins with 3 x 20 min @ 205w, 215w & 230w approx. 41.3km,
    33kph. Avg watts 215. HR123
    Sat – AM. 11 mile progression run to MP. Last 6 @ 06:07m/m. Overall pace 06:19m/m HR
    PM – Swim 1600 in 30:30
    Sun – AM. Long run 20.7 miles @ 06:40 /mile/ HR 147

Totals:
    Run x 6 – 61.4 miles. Time 6hr 46min
    Turbo Bike x 1– 41.3km. Time - 1h 15min
    Swim x 3 – 5.9km. Time - 2hr 20 min

Total Time – 10hr 21 min.

Getting back on track

With just 7 weeks to go until Boston my running form is beginning to come back. A decent time might yet be achievable.
    I threw myself into 1km reps on Wed with the intention of keeping them steady at MP (03:50-55). However with the aid of the breeze for the first 4 I found myself moving nicely along turning over quite well,
    While no. 5 and 6 were noticeably harder I just fell short of completing out the 7th due to a chance meeting with an ex colleague wanting to have chat. Groin got tight but thankfully stretched well after.
    Sat's progression session to MP exceeded my expectations. I just wanted to hold planned MP pace (06:15) for the last 5 of the session but of course the inner me wanted to better that. I held the un planned pace well.
    Sunday's long run was my first 20 miler + since my pacing gig at Dublin. True the legs weren't fresh but I had welcome company in the early miles from Dom. At the 10 mile turn (avg pace 06:53) with heavy legs I pushed on and held it well over the 2nd 10 @ 06:28 pace.
    On the swimming front I was very happy with the coached Thur session. Unsurprisinly the coaches sting in this session was a 400m TT to finish things off. However a 6:46 time was a pleasant surprise. I hadn't held 50's very well for my 50's on my session on Tues (and didn't feel good overall) but my avg for this was 50. Next target will be sub 06:30.

A busy week ahead
    Taking a late afternoon flight to Milan today and will there till Wed. I'm hoping to get in a few runs in the foot hills of the Alps.
    Next Sat sees my taking on the Kinvara half. I got 3rd in this last year on a windy day. I'm not fully sure how I will approach the race this time. I'm still not 100% confident in my almost healed injury. I will probably treat the race as a progression run taking the first 5 miles steady and then increase effort to close to 6 min pace. We shall see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice to see things progressing nicely with your run.

No pic from Friday's turbo????? :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice to see things progressing nicely with your run.

Ha P. Too hot for here

I can get you a photo of him swimming slowly in his speedo's?:D

Good luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Sandbagging or podium form?

Either way, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck tomorrow?? :eek: Good luck tomorrow!! :D

You'll probably surprise yourself and have a better day than you might think. Best to you! :)

Ouch! 4th place, in 1:16:51. Knowing you you'll be sick you missed the podium, and won't even be satisfied with the 2nd grizzled auld fella gong. Everyone else will applaud you running 5:51/mile pace after missing so much running recently. You should get injured more often. Savage run, well done!

Legend.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Jealous.com

Can't-wait-to-have-drinks-with-him-in-Boston.com

Weekly Summary 03/03/13

Mon – Lunch – 6.15 mile run (06:55m/m) HR 137. Travel to Milan
    Tue – Nothing. Worked late
    Wed – Early am 10.6 mile progression run Vigevano Italy
    First 5 @ 06:35 avg, 2nd 5 progressed to 6:00/mile pace. HR 146
    Late PM Wicklow– Swim 2400m.
    500 WU then 2 x set of 4 x50m ( off 60 ) in 47, 3 x100 off 2:00 in 1:42 ,
    & 2 x 200m in 03:27 off 4:15. 2nd set 48, 1:42, & 03:30. 100m WD only
    Thurs – Lunch - 8.4 miles with 6 x 400m reps intervals with 200m recovery (avg 76sec)
    HR 144
    Fri – Early AM 6.4 mile run. (06:55m/m) HR 136
    Sat – AM. 16.3 miles with Kinvara HM in 1:16:49. 4th Place. HR 166.
    Sun – AM. Easy Bike 73km 27.1kph, HR 117

Totals:

Run x 5 – 47.9 miles. Time 5hr 10 min
    Bike x 1– 73km. Time - 2h 42 min
    Swim x 1 – 2.4km. Time – 52 min

Total Time – 8hr 44 min.

Busy, busy week.
    And many more of these weeks to come.
    The main focus this week was Sat HM in Kinvara. But up to Sat morning it was just all about getting sessions in when I could. I missed the club swim session on Thur. OH had to work and I sulked big time at missing it.
    Instead of a recovery run on Sun as conditions were good (though head could have been better, little sis 21st night before) I took to the bike around east Mayo.
    As I mentioned it was all about Sat HM this week. I managed a run before a work flight to Milan on Mon afternoon. There was no opportunity to run on Tues and in hindsight a day free from activity was probably best.
    I did manage an early run on Wed around Vigevano. Bloody freezing and terrain flat as a pancake. It would seem running isn’t too popular with the local Italians as I got some funny looks. The run itself was ok but didn’t find the progression to 6:00 min pace very easily.
    The 400’s thrown in on Thur served the purpose to sharpen me up for Sat but I was blowing by the 6th and the early Fri outing wasn’t fantastic either. So all in all it wasn’t looking too promising for Sat.

Kinvara HM Report:
    We stayed in Moycullen (sisters) Fri night and I ran / walked with the dog early Sat as the legs didn't feel fresh. Maybe that helped me 4 hrs later.

There was a good buzz around Kinvara. I had a nice coffee with youngest bro (doing his first 10k) and bro in law in a local pub. We witnessed with interest 2 locals swallow back 2 pints of porter by 11am. There were seen 15 mins later having a fag outside another drinking establishment. We assumed they wanted an early start to get a good run at the day ahead. :)

During my 3 mile warm up I promised myself not to set off quicker than 06:15 m/m pace for first 2 miles and see from there. Hopefully push on and get under 1:20.
    Set off on a short lap of the town and settled in near the front at just under 6 min pace. By mile 1 a group of 8 had formed but shortly after 2 eased away with eventual 1st and 2nd ahead further. So much for my pre race plans.
    Anyway the group of 6 was moving nicely and I felt very comfortable. The roads were undulating as I ran from the front. All of these early miles were very consistent and for a short time entering the 4th mile I considered dropping back but then quickly dropped this daft idea. From time to time 1 or 2 of the runners would appear strong and would move ahead slightly only for me to come along side then.
    We turned hard right at 4.8 on a hill and I injected some pace to see how the group would react. One year previous we faced a strong head wind. This time conditions were close to perfect.
    Some gaps appeared in the group now. The first 5 miles all under 6 at 05:57 avg. It was months since I ran miles this quick.
    During the next 2 miles I was feeling unbelievably strong. I began to increase pace gradually and at times surging a bit and just wanted to initiate turbo. .
    Another hard right up a hill at mile 7 and I had enough of this. Facing into a long drag well excess of1/2 mile I pushed on. One runner follows breathing hard and stayed behind for a min or so. Mile 8 was mostly downhill as the legs continued to feel light. I noticed soon after that I was closing on 4th and perhaps 3rd also and by completion of mile 9 (05:40) I was 40-45 secs behind 4th.
    Another hard right at mile 10 and the suffer began. (Last 5 @ 05:48) A year before the wind helped conquer the steep rolling hills. This time the absence of weekly mileage and MP runs meant mile 12 was particularly tough. However I continued to press and came along side 4th position on the last hard right on a hill taking it very tight inside him. I was blowing hard myself now and took a few seconds running along side just to focus and then push on again to the fast finish line.
    I hadn’t checked my race time at all during the race and what a wonderful sight 1:16:3x as the finish line approached.

Kinvara HM
    Finish time 1:16:49. Position 4th HR 166

Last year 1:16:31 (PB). Position: 3rd HR 167

Cracking stuff Joe. As KC said "Legend" :cool:

You are setting yourself up well for 5 weeks and 6 days from now. Well done!!

Super stuff even more so when compared to last years PB. I know conditions may have been tougher but you have to be getting some confidence back in the lead into Boston. I still think you will surprise yourself.

Legend.com.
    Jealous.com
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Can't-wait-to-have-drinks-with-him-in-Boston.com
    Cracking stuff Joe. As KC said "Legend" :cool:
    Super stuff even more so when compared to last years PB. I know conditions may have been tougher but you have to be getting some confidence back in the lead into Boston. I still think you will surprise yourself.

Cheers all. A bit over the top IMO:o
    Definitely a pleasant surprise result but I am ceratinly not counting any chickens for Boston yet.
    While a sub 2:40 might be possible in reasonable conditions over there I have still mountains of work to do.

- If conditions had been reversed I'd have ran high 1:14 - low 1:15 last year. So 90 - 120 secs off last year at the moment
    - No reasonable mileage done yet. Only 1 week 60 miles + done.
    - Last year I had 5 long runs of 19 mile + done at this point. Just 1 under my belt yet.
    - Little high intensity rep or tempo work done.
    - + 1.5kg weight over last year. It all counts!
    - Still wary of the injury. Not sure if it scare tissue or what but it still doesn't feel right.

Next up is Wicklow half marathon on the 24th. I'll be following Pronator's arse that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Abhainn wrote: »
    I'll be following Pronator's arse that day
    best of luck wit dat,hopefully he'll be wearing skins....

Regarding your injury, don't be afraid to get a few visits in with a physio between now and Boston if you think that might help. I injured myself last summer, neglected it and it got much worse about 6 weeks ago. Since then I've been seeing a physio once a week and it's made a world of difference in not only my injury, but in my body in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

[

Next up is Wicklow half marathon on the 24th. I'll be following Pronator's arse that day[/Quote]
    It's a PMP session for me Joe, ill let u take the glory that day :-)

Ill Echo all of the above, ur just one of these lads that is naturally fit and can pull these results out of the bag.

Advertisement